Thanksgiving 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanksgiving 2007

Thanksgiving is traditionally at my parents home, however since I'm on Maui with my sister, and she's unable to travel with her newborn we're making changes.

Noe and the kids are flying here to Maui to celebrate at my Uncle's home, my cousin is hosting Thanksgiving on Oahu, my Mom is flying off to Vegas, and my Dad will be...relaxing golfing!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you on HT!

NOE & NEENZ.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

I'm having the family over. Just bought that incredible six pack of pomegranates at Costco for $9.99. We're talking softballs. But, what to do? Any suggestions. Maybe I should have just bought juice!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
        I'm just curious...Not even with your parents? I'm only asking because I think my own parents would be hurt if I didn't come over for Thanksgiving, especially since I'm the only one of my siblings who still lives here.
        What parents?
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Here's one that I have actually tried and is very good (note: I made the cheddar cheese version)
          http://www.greenbeansnmore.com/recipe-b.html
          Thanks, Beau. I appreciate the link and will give it a try. I purchased the ingredients today (the store was busy!) and will report on the results.

Comment

Thanks, Beau. I appreciate the link and will give it a try. I purchased the ingredients today (the store was busy!) and will report on the results.
            Your welcome! Just some advice (I'm sure you're a proficient cook) whether you have bought canned green beans (buy the french cut style) or frozen green beans(cook the frozen beans first following the directions on the pkg.), be sure to squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible (like putting those beans in a cheese cloth and wring out all the extra liquid) before combining it with the mushroom soup and other ingredients.

That way the dish will stay thick and creamy, rather than becoming soupy and soggy.

Comment

This year, we will be spending the day with family at my parent's house in Pearl City. Our usual Thanksgiving menu includes:
              turkey
              ham
              rice
              stuffing
              mashed potatoes
              candied yams
              dinner rolls
              gravy
              pumpkin pie
              some kind of chocolate dessert (I don't like pumpkin pie)
              I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kanahina View Post
                [...](I don't like pumpkin pie)
                Does that mean that the aforementioned pumpkin latte at Starbucks won't make your holiday hit list and that discontinued pumpkin smash Jamba Juice was never a sought after delicacy?

Comment

Both my wife and I will be working that night, so...

I gave my main guys the night off to be with their families.
                  And I'll buy dinner for the few of us that will be working.
                  Plates from Meg's or Ritchie's, I believe.

I'm actually just very thankful to be working and not homeless or hungry.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    I'm having the family over. Just bought that incredible six pack of pomegranates at Costco for $9.99. We're talking softballs. But, what to do? Any suggestions. Maybe I should have just bought juice!
                    I love pomegranates! When I was growing up the next door neighbor had a pomegranate tree, and would invite me to help myself to as much as I wanted.

Here's a link with interesting recipes: http://pomegranates.org/recipes.html

Comment

I love pomegranates! When I was growing up the next door neighbor had a pomegranate tree, and would invite me to help myself to as much as I wanted.[...]
                      Oooooh...I love pomegranates, too! When I was a kid there was a castle...a real castle, oddly enough...a coupla blocks up the hill from where I lived. It must've had 10 pomegranate trees along the perimeter of the property. The neighborhood kids would raid the trees, bust open the pomegranates and chow down. Gawd, those things were so good and we'd all go home stained from head to toe! Then, one day, someone in the castle took a pot shot at us with a bb gun. Our little pomegranate posse high tailed it down the hill never to return!

Comment

I love pomegranates! When I was growing up the next door neighbor had a pomegranate tree, and would invite me to help myself to as much as I wanted.

Here's a link with interesting recipes: http://pomegranates.org/recipes.html

That's a great link. I couldn't find recipes to use the actual arils, but this link has them. Most recipes just call for the juice.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

A show on Food Network today featured a Sweet Potato Casserole, which reminded me of GlossyP's query about a green bean casserole.

Anyone ever try a really good Sweet Potato Casserole? Seems like a really basic dish, yet I don't recall ever having that. The person on the Food Network show made it sound really ono. Also sounds like a perfect side dish for a TG feast. My sister is a master at making casseroles, so I'll put in the request!

Personally, as far as side dishes, I'd be happy with just stuffing and gravy. Yum.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Thanksgiving 2007: Turkey-To-Go Deals

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                            For your convenience, here's a list* of some current locally-advertised (Oahu) Thanksgiving Turkey-To-Go offerings out there...
                            [...]
                            I noticed today that Da Smokehouse at Eaton Square is offering a full smoked turkey dinner for...

...$120.00...

I backed up and reread the sign! So, that's gotta be a turkey-to-go feast to serve at least, what, 25?!!!

Comment

This year again I am thankful the fare war between Go, Hawaiian Airlines and Aloha that spilled over into the holidays so that I could fly at an affordable price of $19 each way + taxes and fees to the Big Island tomorrow and spend a week with my family there.

We'll have home cooked turkey with most of the trimmings. Our family's usual small gathering of the troops to start the holiday season and give thanks for each other's presence and health....

May you all have a thankful, safe and happy holiday this week.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Anyone ever try a really good Sweet Potato Casserole? Seems like a really basic dish, yet I don't recall ever having that. The person on the Food Network show made it sound really ono. Also sounds like a perfect side dish for a TG feast. My sister is a master at making casseroles, so I'll put in the request!
                                Pomai, a long time ago my sister made a Sweet Potato Casserole for Thanksgiving which was almost exactly like the recipe you posted, except it had an addition of 1 teaspoon of finely slivered orange zest.

I'd say give that recipe to your sister, and you can't go wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X