Buy Local?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy Local?

I only buy local eggs. Even (un)Safeway has Hawaiian eggs.

We need to support our local ag economy! SO WHAT if it is 40 cents more????? (3.3 cents more per egg?)
    Will that break you? It will help our local agricultural economies remain afloat.

PLEASE, Please support local business, especially Ag. It costs little, but pays back big time!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Egg Recall

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    We need to support our local ag economy! SO WHAT if it is 40 cents more????? (3.3 cents more per egg?) Will that break you? It will help our local agricultural economies remain afloat.
    That's a pretty insensitive thing to say. First of all, it's not just forty cents more; it's often more than a dollar more per carton. And while that by itself won't break me, the truth is that where eggs used to be a staple in my house, they are now something I purchase only when the prices are favorable. A dollar here or there isn't going to break me; you are right about that. However, it's not a dollar here or there: it's a dollar here AND there. And THERE. And over there.

Three years ago, I already didn't have much wiggle room. When I didn't get a raise last year and got only a 2% raise this year, the rising prices of rice, eggs, milk, and canned tomato products (something I've been keenly aware of for some reason) have made things very uncomfortable for me--I have gotten poorer in ways I never expected. I've also been subscribing to half of a CSA box and have therefore been paying the price for organic local produce. Sacrifices have been necessary, and if as a result I've had to buy the occasional carton of mainland eggs, I've done it sadly and reluctantly. But screw you and your self-righteousness.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv - I totally understand about the prices of things like eggs. I'm in a very tight financial situation every day. The cost difference between local vs. mainland is very important to me - there are many times I do without because of the cost. I would rather buy local if I have a choice but thats not always possible - so I do without a lot of the time.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

"Screw you and your self-righteousness" may not be what I really meant to say. It sounds a lot stronger than what I was thinking at the time, anyway. Sorry.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: UH Survey on HawaiiThreads

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          That, alone, was worth not buying locally, which is usually my preference.
          That can be interpreted two different ways!

I shop on Amazon occasionally. It keeps the local retailers competitive. A couple of weeks ago, I got a great deal on a laptop (the one I'm using now) by purchasing locally. It's all good.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            That can be interpreted two different ways!

I shop on Amazon occasionally. It keeps the local retailers competitive. A couple of weeks ago, I got a great deal on a laptop (the one I'm using now) by purchasing locally. It's all good.
            Hmmm...I thought this might've explained it:
            I also use it for price comparison when I know I'll buy locally.
            Not so?

Comment

having worked for a big box retailer, yes a lot of dollars do go back to the mainland, however the vast majority of employees are local and these big box retailers do provide much needed employment and health benefits to those locally employed. The payroll also feeds into our local economy thru local taxes collected as well as dollars into the pockets of these employees that use those dollars when buying products and services throughout Hawaii.

We cannot use that mentality of boycotting big box retailers because those employers do fill a need and in these tough economic times, every dollar saved in a household is critical. I hate to say this but when it comes down to what's more important, I'll choose food on the table from the best prices my bare wallet can handle.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig - what do you mean when you say you "don't do Amazon"? is it that you don't like the company or you don't like online ordering or something else?

I'm very curious.

(sorry - don't want to get the topic off subject but i'm just very curious)
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I think what some are saying is pretty much how I feel too. I will always try to buy local FIRST. But I also have to consider my very tight budget. For me, its not about boycotting the big box stores - you can shop at those stores and still "buy local". Except for Wal-Mart. I refuse to shop at that store!
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    Craig - what do you mean when you say you "don't do Amazon"? is it that you don't like the company or you don't like online ordering or something else?

I'm very curious.

(sorry - don't want to get the topic off subject but i'm just very curious)

I simply never did Amazon. When it comes to books, magazines, household items, I like to shop in a store I can see, feel and touch. I gotta touch it then play with it and ask questions then I buy locally. When it comes to computer stuff, I go to NewEgg or Geeks, or ZipZoomFly.

I try to buy locally because I like to help my fellow retail outlet that pays HELCO's enormous electric bill. I prefer to deal with sales associates because they either are happy to help you or they need more training in customer service and I want to give them that experience.

I don't appreciate it when someone comes in to handle new merchandise, take my time to show them the item, then have them order it online wasting my time and the company's time in sales. That's just not right.

I like to patronize businesses locally when I can. Amazon has great prices, however shopping at Amazon doesn't help the local economy, nor does it promote businesses to hire local people to fill local jobs that earn paychecks that pay taxes and buy from other local businesses. And yes even Big Box retailers that have a brick and mortar storefront that are from the mainland still hire locally.

Many of my friends work in WalMart, Home Depot, and even Sears. When I patronize their workplace, it helps them. If I buy from Amazon, it fills the pockets of a complete stranger I never had the opportunity to shake their hand or bring up a pleasant conversation with. I'd rather give my business to a company that hires my friends where I can show my appreciation.

Amazon is great, but I prefer to shop locally. BUT because Hilo is without a major bookstore now, it's gonna be that much harder to pick up a once in a while copy of Maximum PC Magazine.

Anyway that's why I don't do Amazon...it's not that I don't "Like" it. I simply prefer to walk into a store and buy right there and then and support businesses that support my friends and their families.

Comment

I try to shop at KTA when I can, I shop at WalMart simply because they have what I need at a good price and they hire local people.

Comment

Re: Buy Local?

Merged "buy local" comments from two separate threads:

Comment

Craig - those are very good reasons. Thanks for responding.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            having worked for a big box retailer, yes a lot of dollars do go back to the mainland, however the vast majority of employees are local and these big box retailers do provide much needed employment and health benefits to those locally employed. The payroll also feeds into our local economy thru local taxes collected as well as dollars into the pockets of these employees that use those dollars when buying products and services throughout Hawaii.
                            Walmart and the like does employ locals to work in their store, true. But as big as those businesses are, they can't offer employment to every single person. The choice about where to shop and how much you spend is a decision that everyone need to make for themselves, obviously But one would hope that consumers don't deceive themselves into thinking that the local employees working at the bigboxes are all that matters as far as commuinity wellbeing is concerned. What about those locals who are employed in the supplier and manufacturing sector of the economy? Does a bigbox store patronize local vendors? Or do they primarily carry on business with firms that employ zero locals, just to pad the corporate bottomline?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            We cannot use that mentality of boycotting big box retailers because those employers do fill a need and in these tough economic times, every dollar saved in a household is critical. I hate to say this but when it comes down to what's more important, I'll choose food on the table from the best prices my bare wallet can handle.
                            As I said, everybody does what they have to do. But do keep in mind. If too many of your neighbors lose their jobs, they won't have the money to spend.... perhaps at the business that you happen to be employed with. And if rising unemployment begins to impact the bottomline of your business, then maybe you or one of your workmates might be the next person facing a layoff.

Sometimes, looking out for the welfare of the local businesses is the best way of looking out for yourself and your family.

Just sayin.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Who of us takes the added step to buy not only from locally owned stores, but sticks to locally produced products, dispite the price comparison of mainland/foreign products?

Which brand of bread do you buy? Milk? Salad dressing? Lettuce? Crackers? Cookies? Soda? There are 100s of products that are produced here in Hawaii, but I'll bet the all of us could check our cabinets and find many duplicate mainland/foreign produced foods.

For those who are give thought to which store to buy from, perhaps equally important is "where is the product made".

My locally produced contribution is Kona Brew beer. Only, now it has been sold to a mainland outfit. Ouch.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X