Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Toddler thrown onto freeway

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Huh? I don't consider you an ignorant person, Susie, but you're the one making ignorant statements. The onus is on you to back them up...not me.
    I was simply trying to make the point that sterilization isn't the answer...but got rather caught up in my own answers to you. I guess I shoulda said, from the start. Sorry.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      And we've seen the results. Who's defending status quo? This is Hawaii State law. The legislature is in session. Seems like there's plenty of will to make changes.

Higa should not have been in public. Cyrus was just a child close by.

It's time for Cyrus' Law.
      But what, exactly, would Cyrus' Law be?

Comment

The original Letter to the Editor of Maui News I sent was to long to print.
        Here is the new revised letter. Hope it gets printed!!! I will do anything in my power to stand up and be a part of a "solution".

The list of children who have died and nearly died from abuse and neglect in Hawaii continues to grow. Cyrus, Peter Boy, and Shari. I am the paternal grandmother who joyfully adopted Shari who was nearly beaten to death by her mother’s boyfriend in March of 2006.

One of the common threads all these precious children had in common were families with histories involving CPS. In the nearly two year journey since Shari’s near death beating we have been involved with many medical and educational professionals they all say the same thing….reports of abuse are made, the child is taken for a short period and then placed right back into the home. During the LAST call I made to CPS reporting child abuse regarding Shari I was told by her social worker that it was noted in her case file she was “clumsy”. I told her I had pictures of Shari with bruising on her cheeks, rib cages, and arm…it didn’t matter. Less than three weeks later Shari was in PICU, on a ventilator, fighting for what little was left of her life. Skeletal x-rays of Shari’s tiny body showed previous rib fractures consistent with a “squeeze and twist” form of abuse. The pictures I had taken in Feb. of 2006 also consistent with child abuse. I have absolutely no desire to start a “personal war” with DHS. I do have the desire for DHS to hear my experience to hopefully initiate positive changes. The only one who interviewed me after Shari’s last beating was the social worker that I reported abuse to. Without change there will be no change. We will again read of yet another Cyrus, Peter Boy, and Shari…..it’s just a matter of time.

Comment

Ms. Koller suggests mandating family members report abuse and neglect? That was done in both Shari’s case and Cyrus’ case. When a CPS case is opened on a child it is the case worker that makes ALL decisions regarding the health, safety, and welfare of that child. Even if a family member reports abuse their hands are tied until the social worker acts on that report. After a family member reports child abuse they also risk the parent of that child denying any contact with that child leaving the child vulnerable to the once a month checks made by their social worker. It also needs to be understood that the abuse these children suffer is not readily visible. Broken ribs and fractured skulls cannot be seen but are often found in children that have been abused. I watched in horror for six months with my hands tied knowing if found out that I had reported abuse I would not be allowed to see my precious granddaughter again. She would have been striped of the only voice she had to protect her. The community needs to know that when they report abuse it will be acted on and quickly. They need to know that reporting abuse is not in vein but a step for a child to be protected. Cases where mothers have children placed in permanent custody only to have another child and start the cycle again is an issue that needs to be addressed not by the community but by DHS. The citizens of Hawaii need to offer their support by opening their homes to these children through foster care and adoption. If we want change we all need to support the change we ask for. I ask this…is there anyone who would have denied Cyrus a home in exchange for preventing his horrific death?

Comment

I'm just joining the discussion here b/c it's been too painful for me to talk about. I've been journaling like crazy, and I've found it to be very therapeutic. I came here today b/c I wanted to read what peeps here had to say. Anyway, my two cents: it seems that better communication between all public safety agencies is a good place to start? It seems that everyone was trying the best with what they had. And, Matthew Higa is the one who committed the horrific crime. Therefore, he should be put away forever. Mental health facility, prison, whichever. But, I think what those who are focusing on the mother are trying to say is that if there had been that better communication between agencies, maybe Cyrus would have been removed from her care before Jan. 17. Then he wouldn't have been there for Matthew Higa to take...I'd like to know why, as a person who already had a documented child endangerment/drug abuse history, Chanco was able to keep custody of Cyrus after testing positive fo ice on Jan. 11? As a mother myself, I feel that Nancy Chanco should somehow be held accountable. I know she probably won't be held accountable, though. I've seen it before. I pray that she really uses this tragedy as a wake up call to turn her life around and finally get rehabilitated for good.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
              But what, exactly, would Cyrus' Law be?
              Good question. I don't have any specific suggestions, since we don't have the details of Higa's history and evaluation, but it would be something that would have kept Higa away from the public.

Originally posted by Ipo View Post
              Cyrus would have been removed from her care before Jan. 17. Then he wouldn't have been there for Matthew Higa to take...
              So instead of Cyrus, it would be another child on another day that Higa harms? Sure it would prevent this exact incident, but I fail to see how it would prevented something similar. There's a day care in Dole Park close to the bridge.

The mother left the child in the care of the Grandfather. The Grandfather took a nap. All that stuff of prior history and drug use has no bearing on what happened.

Comment

The grandfather should be done for dereliction of duty, as he was taking a nap.

How much longer are we gonna argue this?

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                  man a lot of you folks in this thread are just plain stupid.
                  PoiBoy, since I do not consider you a troll, I have to ask why you would toss such a troll-esque burning comment like that into a heavily fuel-laden thread? Not asking what you mean by it, but rather why you would pop in with that style of post?

Comment

I'm sure it happens all the time. Is it bad enough to remove the child from the home? I don't think so.

Comment

See, I don't necessarily think that it would have happened without easy access to Cyrus. If there are day care centers nearby, I'm assuming—yes I know it's dangerous to assume—that the adults there are a bit more attentive. I truly believe that Cyrus should have been removed from the home as soon as Chanco tested positive for meth on Jan. 11. I know that it's a simplistic answer, but hopefully with more funding, personnel, etc. that can happen in the future.

Comment

BTW, have you all heard about that Cyrus fund at BOH? This really bothered me...on KSSK this a.m. they got Lisa Belt, Cyrus' aunty, to come on the show and state that she opened the account to pay for his funeral and then will donate the money to some drug-rehab related charity. I think I'm still going to just donate money to another charity in his name instead...

Comment

How much longer are we gonna argue this?
                          What exactly does "should be done" mean?

Not everyone agrees with you, Susie, so I guess we're "gonna argue this" 'til we run out of steam. It's current. It's newsworthy. It's a hotly emotional issue. The public emotions on Oahu (and probably the rest of the state) are palpable. You live half way around the world. Many of us live or work within a very short distance of the crime. We see the makeshift memorial and it's visitors on a daily basis. Some of us know friends and family of Baby Cyrus.

HawaiiThreads is a place to discuss/"argue"/dissect...whatever one wants to call it...current, newsworthy and hotly emotional stories. HT members have the freedom of choice to stay in the thread or ignore it.

ETA: Altho' off topic the Janel and Cyrus stories are permeating the news. Yesterday afternoon I was behind an SUV driving down Queen St. in bumper to bumper traffic. It gave me time to notice and read the rear window of that car...a memorial tribute to Janel including her birthdate and DoD. Since it was so soon after her murder I'm guessing it might've been a family member. So incredibly sad.
                          Last edited by tutusue; January 23, 2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipo View Post
                            BTW, have you all heard about that Cyrus fund at BOH? This really bothered me...on KSSK this a.m. they got Lisa Belt, Cyrus' aunty, to come on the show and state that she opened the account to pay for his funeral and then will donate the money to some drug-rehab related charity. I think I'm still going to just donate money to another charity in his name instead...
                            If people would like to donate money to help abused children contact "Friends Of The Childrens Justice Center" in their area or island. They helped with a gift of a bedroom set for Shari. You can be assured that you're money sent to this organization WILL go to abused children.

Comment

Thanks so much for that advice. I'll do that...

Comment

Cheryl,
                                Thank you so much for participating in, what must be for you, a very painful discussion. Your input and expertise are so valuable. I just wish you didn't have to become an expert. Give Shari a gentle, extra hug for me.

tutusue

Comment

Working...
                                X