New Establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Establishments

additional notes on the kapahulu safeway, which we visited about 9 pm thursday night:

nut bar was closed, and the fresh nut butter machines were covered. they did, however, have a good selection of packaged fresh nut butter available.

salad bar & deli were still open. i had thought about making a salad to bring home but the greens looked a little sad, so i decided against it.

fresh seafood looked like they were starting to break down & close up. we got some more kim chee shrimp poke, which i ate with my lunch the next day. still yummy for the price (about $10 a pound).

the front parking lot looked packed but the upper lot, which i prefer to park at anyway, was about 75% empty. no cops and maybe 1/3 the security of our first visit. congestion (or lack thereof) in the store was rather mellow--no more than you'd expect at 9pm on a thursday night.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Re: New Establishments: Kapahulu SAFEWAY

I FINALLY made it into the new Kapahulu Safeway. Absolutely beautiful and BIG. I'll go as far as calling it "SAFEWAY CITY", as that's the impression you have upon entering the lot.

Various deli stations and a coffee house immediately hit you upon entry on the left side. Everything at the delis are sold at various per-pound prices, and it was quite busy at the main counter.

I got to sample some Cashew Butter (quite tasty, but expensive) from the nut station, which is located in the center, away from the deli area. That was the only thing I found that didn't make sense, layout-wise.

They also sported one of the prettiest produce departments I've ever seen, as if they use a level and tape measure to stack fruits and veggies. lol But way overpriced compared to the competition, IMO.

Their meats were gorgeous though, and very competitively priced. Thick cuts of steaks. Love that. The fresh seafood selection was decent as well, but not as big as I expected. Actually, the entire meat department looked relatively small compared to produce.

Still, under that gorgeous skin, it's still just another Safeway Supermarket (you kinda' forget that with the immensity of the place), where as a shopper, the bottom line is the bottom line, and all you're really doing there, like every place else is comparing prices to other markets on this and that item.

One thing that did stand out was the friendliness and helpfulness of the entire staff. They seem to really emphasize this there. At least this was my impression. Unless maybe they thought I was one of the big bosses. lol

Most of the business spaces surrounding the parking lot were still vacant, with only a Cold Stone Creamery on the right open for business. When that all fills up it should be even more exciting.

Overall though, very impressive and, IMO, indeed a welcome addition to Kapahulu avenue. Much more useful to the community than a blockaded empty lot waiting for a buyer, as it has been for years (just like Walmart's Koreamoku "Superblock").

Bought about $25 worth of groceries, including 2 quarts (b1g1f) of Safeway Select's "Mother Load" ice cream. Late night snacks. Yum.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Does anybody know anything about the restaurant (?) that appears to be opening soon in Waikiki at what I think is the Hawaiian Monarch Hotel? You can see it if you are on Ala Wai. It looks interesting. I think it's called the Cream Pot.

Just curious...

Comment

I finally took the time to pack a suitcase and take a trip thru the Kapahulu Safeway! My brain was in circuit overload before I left the produce dept., which is where I entered. I've always liked the Hawaii Kai and Kapolei stores but Kapahulu puts 'em both to shame.

Kapahulu Safeway is a bit like Disneyland. You really can't see the entire "park" in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            I got to sample some Cashew Butter (quite tasty, but expensive) from the nut station, which is located in the center, away from the deli area. That was the only thing I found that didn't make sense, layout-wise.
            Shot in the dark, but I wonder if it's a way to keep nuts from contaminating non-nutty foods, so that allergic people won't have to worry.

Still, under that gorgeous skin, it's still just another Safeway Supermarket (you kinda' forget that with the immensity of the place), where as a shopper, the bottom line is the bottom line, and all you're really doing there, like every place else is comparing prices to other markets on this and that item.
            That actually makes me more likely to stop there. There are Safeways nearby, but I'm one of those stick-close-to-home guys, and while the familiarity and convenience of my local Star Market are nice, I really wish there were a Safeway in that space. I much prefer it to any of the other markets, including a sentimental favorite, KTA.

Much more useful to the community than a blockaded empty lot waiting for a buyer, as it has been for years (just like Walmart's Koreamoku "Superblock").
            I don't think I know what you mean. I used to go to the Subway, JJ's Diner, and Diamond Head Video at least once a week right up until they were all booted out, just months before construction began. In fact, I haven't been back to Diamond Head Video (easily the best video rental store on the island) since, because the new location is just too inconvenient. And that's really a shame.

I even went to the Dunkin' Donuts regularly, while it was still a Dunkin' Donuts. So attractive a draw was that little complex that even when I was a bus rider, I'd be there twice a week. I work in the airport area and live in Kalihi, by the way. And bus riders will tell you there's no easy way to get to Kapahulu from under the Airport Viaduct. I basically got off on Kapiolani and walked past Kaimuki High on my way there.

So yes, I'm looking forward to frequenting the new Safeway City (good name, by the way), but is it THAT much better than a video rental store with a foreign section six shelves high and an entire aisle in length, sorted by country, or a plate lunch place where you could get a shoyu chicken plate for under four bucks? Unless the Swedish Bikini Team is bagging the groceries, I don't see how it could be.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I went to the Kapahulu Safeway last week. Its not bad. I have seen better supermarkets in Seattle but its nice to have some of those features in Hawaii.

The nut bar grinding machines are the same ones they have at Down To Earth. More nut choices but I think they are more expensive at Safeway.

I'll probably go back there only if they have good shops opening in that strip mall. Otherwise its not much of a draw for me.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                Does anybody know anything about the restaurant (?) that appears to be opening soon in Waikiki at what I think is the Hawaiian Monarch Hotel? You can see it if you are on Ala Wai. It looks interesting. I think it's called the Cream Pot.

Just curious...
                According to a very brief PBN blurb, it will serve "...rich European breakfast fare through late afternoon." The owner's name is Nathan Tran and it is supposed to open sometime in January.

Speaking of breakfast restaurants, the IHOP in Pearl City is open and the place is packed. I stuck my head in yesterday around 2pm to ask the phone number (486-IHOP) and if they were busy. An impossibly perky young lady gushed about how they had already filled the front and back of six pages of waiting list and waved them at me! As I walked out, I reflected on the virtues of cheerfulness in such a setting. She made a great impression and I left with a smile.
                Last edited by glossyp; December 31, 2007, 07:42 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                  [...]Otherwise its not much of a draw for me.
                  It's not really much of a draw for me, either, so if I'll be in the immediate area anyway and have some shopping to do then I'll pop in. It's just too big! I prefer a smaller grocery shopping experience! Safeway Beretania is much closer for me and while a bit long in the tooth it works for my needs. Ditto for Kokua. Some habits are just hard to break, I guess!

Comment

Re: What's for Lunch - Chapter 12

If you like GREEK FOOD...

Here s a place that opened up recently...

The Fat Greek.

3040 Waialae Ave.

Phone # 734-0404

Not sure how long they have been there, but their food is really good!!.

For the price, it's ok.

You can have unlimited drinks with your food.

Their website is not up & running yet, although it will be in a month or two (hopefully).

If you like Mexican food....

Los Chaparros Mexican Restaurant
                    2140 S. Beretaia Str.
                    Phone # 951-6399
                    http://www.loschaparros.com/

They are really good too!!.

The prices are ok.

If you don't mind too much on the cost, & care more on the food/taste etc. those two are the best place to go for food & something different to go to, next time.

I think those two are good for dinners as well as for lunch.

Happy eating!!,

That's my two cents for restaurants to go to.

enjoy.
                    Aches & Pains
                    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Here is one of which I had forgotten to mention, which is also one of my favorites as well.

They serve really delious food with great entertainmanet.

It's: UNCLE'S fish market & grill
                      pier 38

1135 N. Nimitz Hway.
                      275-0063

http://www.unclesfishmarket.com/

Happy Eating.
                      Aches & Pains
                      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                        Just curious...
                        Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                        According to a very brief PBN blurb, it will serve "...rich European breakfast fare through late afternoon." The owner's name is Nathan Tran and it is supposed to open sometime in January.
                        The Cream Pot had their grand opening on Friday. My boyfriend and I checked it out. If you go, it's CASH ONLY. They are serving smoothies, both sweet and savory crepes, salads, and omelets/baked egg dishes. They are open everyday from 6am to 2:30pm.

As with a new place, there were a few snafus...they forgot the dressing for our salad and they forgot the blue cheese on my vegetarian crepe.

My vegetarian crepe turned out to be simply a salad piled on top of a crepe (greens, grapes, blue cheese, tomatoes). It was difficult to eat and not something I'd order again. My boyfriend's crepe was very tasty; I think it had chicken, bacon, and some kind of sauce. The crepe itself I enjoyed; it wasn't overly sweet like some crepes I've encountered in the past.

Crepes come with a side of the soup of the day, which that day happened to be cold potato soup. It was on the bland side but had a pleasing smooth texture.

We shared the salad, which turned out to be your basic greens with blue cheese and walnuts. The mustard dressing was very sharp (tasted like Chinese hot mustard, or more likely dijon mustard), and my boyfriend didn't think it went well with the blue cheese.

I saw others who had ordered the omelets, which looked to be a nice size. The smoothies also looked appetizing.

The place is tiny, and they were going for a country French theme in decor. Some walls were more successful at achieving French, and some looked more American country in style, which was a bit discordant.

It's worth checking out, especially once they settle into more of a routine.

I am sorry that I didn't think to take any pictures!

Comment

I noticed a few weeks ago in the Honolulu Weekly that there's something called "The Atacolypse" coming to Varsity.

I'm assuming it will be a casual taco joint that might go better with beer and student budgets than perhaps India Cafe's fare did.

I have no idea if it's open yet or not. Anybody tried it or know if it's even at Varsity yet?

Comment

Brendan, owner of The Shack Hawaii Kai, is opening up a new The Shack location in Waikiki!...

As you can see, it will be located on the ground floor of the Waikiki Trade Center on Kuhio Avenue, and will be next door neighbors with Zanzibar Nightclub (and Fashion 45 nightclub upstairs).

I'm still working on the shackwaikiki.com site, gathering content. For now I just put a splash page up, but that's pretty much the template for the site. Looks "Shack'ish".

More details about the The Shack Waikiki will be up on the website as it becomes available. Any suggestions for the site would be appreciated. Thanks!
                            Last edited by Pomai; April 12, 2008, 12:34 PM. Reason: Shack'n up
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              I work in the airport area and live in Kalihi, by the way. And bus riders will tell you there's no easy way to get to Kapahulu from under the Airport Viaduct. I basically got off on Kapiolani and walked past Kaimuki High on my way there.
                              funny how i never noticed this statement in your post before, scriv.

back in 80s & 90s, when the #3 bus didn't go to salt lake, you could catch the #3 from under the the viaduct, through dillingham, down king street, then kapiolani, up date where it becomes maunaloa on the other side of kapahulu. that would have been an option to get to kapahulu ave. the other way would be to take the #3 and get off the laau street side of kaimuki high (the field) and walk through the campus alongside the canal. that would bring you to the market city side (kaimuki ave).

alternatively, you could have also switched to the #9 bus at (i think) the stop before kamoku street. the 9 continued down kapiolani instead of going up date.

guess that tells you how i'd get to and from school every day, eh?
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

hi this is sansei and sorry if i posted here only i wish to share that i just heard on Tv that Gyotaku and it's located in niu valley and if anyone wishes to visit,i hope everyone enjoy's it there.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Working...
                                X