The Hobbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hobbit

Looks like New Line gave Middle Earth the middle finger.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      That being said, I thought King Kong was pile of crap. Being that it was one of Jackson's favorite movies, I guess his love for the movie clouded his judgement in what makes a good movie. The King Kong story was just not that interesting, and Jack Black was the wrong guy for that movie.
      Well, King Kong is not my favorite as a franchise, though the original is barely tolerable to watch, only to be ruined by the 70's modern take.

So, what was wrong with PJ's version?
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
        Maybe they based their decision after seeing the recent King Kong.
        So they refused to disclose their accounting book for auditing because KK flopped???

That's a pretty weak and lame defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          So they refused to disclose their accounting book for auditing because KK flopped???

That's a pretty weak and lame defense.
          Actually, King Kong is the 36th top-grossing movie of all time:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            Actually, King Kong is the 36th top-grossing movie of all time:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
            But what was the NET?

Comment

I wonder if any progress has been made, and if so... in what "direction".
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                I wonder if any progress has been made, and if so... in what "direction".
                Without Peter Jackson, it's gonna be the wrong direction.

Comment

I found this interesting....
                  On the eve of what is expected to be the biggest Spider-Man yet, Entertainment Weekly learns that director Sam Raimi is seriously interested in directing The Hobbit, a choice that could potentially leave Spidey 4 without a director — and, says Kirsten Dunst, a leading lady.
                  Although I want to see the Hobbit made, IMO... this could spell disaster for BOTH movie franchises, neither could work without Jackson or Raimi.

SOURCE
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Best for Sam Raimi to stick with the [i]Spider-Man[/i franchise or if he's bored, do another Army of Darkness sequel.

IMSNHO, no one but Peter Jackson should do Hobbit. No one, Mr. Shaye.

Comment

Here's the latest news on this much wanted film:
                      a bitter feud between Rings director Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema co-chairman Robert Shaye — may finally be nearing resolution. For once, there's reason to be cautiously optimistic. At this writing, no agreements have been announced and details of the negotiations are sketchy (neither New Line nor Jackson's camp would comment to EW on any aspect of this story), but sources close to the talks tell us that they're detecting a lot less frost in the air, and that a deal may be reached that could help usher J.R.R. Tolkien's maiden Middle-earth masterpiece to screens before the end of the decade.
                      Cross your fingers!

Source
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

It's all about cash. I'm betting they're planning in filming in Cali and cutting WETA and the NZ crew out entirely. New Line's looking to funnel the money to their regular players & the perceived failure of KK is giving them the tool they needed. Sheesh, they're hanging him for one movie that wasn't even that bad. Even Spielberg has had his share of box-office 'flops'. Dare I say AI? 1941? & while Empire of the Sun was a good movie, it was far from Box Office magic. The only reason Jackson got the LOR trilogy in the first place is no one thought it would be any kind of success - now that it is, they want the franchise owned by an 'insider'.
                        "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
                        Socrates.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
                          It's all about cash. I'm betting they're planning in filming in Cali and cutting WETA and the NZ crew out entirely.
                          This can get political considering the jobs it will bring to Cali in the production of the film.

Though I doubt PJ is hanging out WETA to dry. That's like GL making new live-action Star Wars TV series without ILM.

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
                          New Line's looking to funnel the money to their regular players & the perceived failure of KK is giving them the tool they needed.
                          Although I'm a firm believer of giving someone a second chance, I am wary of the sudden turnabout gesture by New Line and Mr. Shaye.

Better to let the production contract to expire and have New Line try to bid all over again with other competitors.

Comment

Jackson to make Hobbit

Jackson to make Hobbit
                            By TOM CARDY - The Dominion Post | Wednesday, 19 December 2007

Peter Jackson has won the battle for Middle-earth and is to make The Hobbit.

The Oscar-winning Wellington film-maker and Hollywood studios New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios announced today that they had resolved their legal dispute. Jackson and partner Fran Walsh will serve as executive producers on two Hobbit movies.

Pre-production will begin as soon as possible and both will be shot simultaneously, tentatively in 2009. The Hobbit is likely to be released in 2010 and the sequel in 2011.
                            Full story here... http://www.stuff.co.nz/4328957a10.html
                            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Sequel? He's making two Hobbit movies?! I'm guessing that they've realized that you can't cram the entire story into one 2-hour (or even 3-hour) movie, so it's being split in two. I wonder where the dividing line will be drawn?

Comment

I don't know where they'll draw the line but hopefully, it'll be somewhere that doesn't make us feel like we're left hanging... like The Golden Compass!

I'm disappointed that Jackson won't be directing.
                                Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                                My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
                                X