X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Androids vs iPhone?

That's where the problem lies in the debate. It either should be operating system comparison - Android vs iOS; or phone model comparison - iPhone vs (insert Android flavor phone such as Galaxy S2, Optimus G2, etc etc).

In terms of specific handset models, iPhone outsells.

In terms of which phone OS dominates in sales, Android does.

Just buy a phone that best suits you.
    Being a BlackBerry user, I actually had an iPhone4 for 48-hours until my wife said no. (

Prior to that I had a Droid X until I said no.

Having been a solid BB user for years, and having tried both the Droid X and the iPhone4. If I had to switch out from my BB, hands down it would be the iPhone4.

The Droid X couldn't keep up with my power use having to do a mid day charge when I go into my evening meetings. The iPhone ran the whole day and evening like my BB on a single charge.

The Droid X was cumbersome to use and required some thinking to operate and navigate. The iPhone was very intuitive.

On Apps, OMG I tried the same apps that were available on all three platforms. Having been used to BB apps, the iPhone4 apps were so much easier to use and ran smoother than BB or Android.

The iPhone simply worked right out of the box. My next phone no doubt will be an iPhone.

And that's from a dedicated BB user for four years now and a dedicated PC'er to boot! That speaks volumes about the iPhone4.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Being a BlackBerry user, I actually had an iPhone4 for 48-hours until my wife said no. (

Prior to that I had a Droid X until I said no.

Having been a solid BB user for years, and having tried both the Droid X and the iPhone4. If I had to switch out from my BB, hands down it would be the iPhone4.

The Droid X couldn't keep up with my power use having to do a mid day charge when I go into my evening meetings. The iPhone ran the whole day and evening like my BB on a single charge.

The Droid X was cumbersome to use and required some thinking to operate and navigate. The iPhone was very intuitive.

On Apps, OMG I tried the same apps that were available on all three platforms. Having been used to BB apps, the iPhone4 apps were so much easier to use and ran smoother than BB or Android.

The iPhone simply worked right out of the box. My next phone no doubt will be an iPhone.

And that's from a dedicated BB user for four years now and a dedicated PC'er to boot! That speaks volumes about the iPhone4.
      So it sounds like the Droid X didn't do too well. Then again, my experience with Motorola phones have always been iffy. But just because it runs on Android doesn't mean it represents Android powered phones built by HTC, Samsung, or even LG.

Comment

So it sounds like the Droid X didn't do too well. Then again, my experience with Motorola phones have always been iffy. But just because it runs on Android doesn't mean it represents Android powered phones built by HTC, Samsung, or even LG.
        The Droid X was the most sought after phone of Summer 2010 on Verizon. Both corporate and indirect Verizon dealers statewide were sold out for months. The Droid X did very well. In fact, I own one myself and I have to say it performs better than any phone I know of that had been released up to that point in time. HTC, Samsung and LG have improved substantially since they first contracted with Google to produce Android handsets. Samsung has been plagued with software update problems up until very recently. LG has experimented dismally with “budget” Androids — mostly the kind that Frankie describes as “two-for one freebies.” For most of their short track record, HTC phones have been flimsy. Just tonight, I met a woman with a badly cracked HTC screen. Very easy to do. The Thunderbolt (4G LTE) — HTC’s newest flagship — is the first handset they’ve manufactured that I would consider as indestructible as a Motorola Droid. Motorola as whole has done phenomenally well with their Droid series. They have six models on Verizon alone. They pioneered the use of Gorilla glass, which Apple finally adopted with the 3GS model after seeing Motorola’s success. The Droids are the single biggest reason Motorola is in the black after losing the CPU contract with Apple Computers to Intel.

Craig Watanabe, OTOH, is one of those rarities. He is one of the 2% who prefer Blackberry over Android. But RIM is a has-been. They have been in third place or lower as smartphone platform for nearly two years in the U.S. I used to sell cell phones for a living, and let me tell you, more mobile customers complained about Blackberry then any other brand. I had no bias against Blackberry going into the job. Blackberry users alone convinced me never to get a Blackberry. Out of at least 100 BB owners (conservatively), Craig is the very first I have heard of defending BB with that level of passion. The vast majority say things like this: “my BB crashed after I installed the OTA update. I need to replace it with anything except another BB.” “I’ve owned a cell phone for nearly 20 years, and this is by far the worst one I’ve ever used.” “This thing has a web browser from the 1980s.” Of course, you can see, at least Craig has finally conceded that he will be upgrading to an iPhone — a change of heart he has only announced on HT within the past 96 hours. Better late then never.
        Last edited by TuNnL; October 11, 2011, 12:48 AM. Reason: accuracy

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          The Droid X was the most sought after phone of Summer 2010 on Verizon. Both corporate and indirect Verizon dealers statewide were sold out for months. The Droid X did very well. In fact, I own one myself and I have to say it performs better than any phone I know of that had been released up to that point in time. HTC, Samsung and LG have improved substantially since they first contracted with Google to produce Android handsets. Samsung has been plagued with software update problems up until very recently. LG has experimented dismally with “budget” Androids — mostly the kind that Frankie describes as “two-for one freebies.” For most of their short track record, HTC phones have been flimsy. Just tonight, I met a woman with a badly cracked HTC screen. Very easy to do. The Thunderbolt (4G LTE) — HTC’s newest flagship — is the first handset they’ve manufactured that I would consider as indestructible as a Motorola Droid. Motorola as whole has done phenomenally well with their Droid series. They have six models on Verizon alone. They pioneered the use of Gorilla glass, which Apple finally adopted with the 3GS model after seeing Motorola’s success. The Droids are the single biggest reason Motorola is in the black after losing the CPU contract with Apple Computers to Intel.

Craig Watanabe, OTOH, is one of those rarities. He is one of the 2% who prefer Blackberry over Android. But RIM is a has-been. They have been in third place or lower as smartphone platform for nearly two years in the U.S. I used to sell cell phones for a living, and let me tell you, more mobile customers complained about Blackberry then any other brand. I had no bias against Blackberry going into the job. Blackberry users alone convinced me never to get a Blackberry. Out of at least 100 BB owners (conservatively), Craig is the very first I have heard of defending BB with that level of passion. The vast majority say things like this: “my BB crashed after I installed the OTA update. I need to replace it with anything except another BB.” “I’ve owned a cell phone for nearly 20 years, and this is by far the worst one I’ve ever used.” “This thing has a web browser from the 1980s.” Of course, you can see, at least Craig has finally conceded that he will be upgrading to an iPhone — a change of heart he has only announced on HT within the past 96 hours. Better late then never.
          This is where I would say YMMV. I've been a BB user for 4 years. I've had a great experience with them. Yes, there were some outages on the services side but never experienced anything significant with the phone. And I've dropped it many times too. OTOH, I had pre-Droid Motorola phones that did not last a year and I babied them too, no drops whatsoever.

RIM just hasn't been able to get themselves back in the race so to a certain extent, they are forcing their own BB users to eventually migrate to another platform.

Comment

wow JT - you must not have tried to use your phone today then right?
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

My daughter loves her Blackberry.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                "Yes, there were some outages on the services side but never experienced anything significant with the phone."

Today is an issue with service. There is still phone side such as durability, stability, battery life, etc.

Comment

Forget about features, bells and whistles, and even discounted prices,.... When it comes to smartphones and tablets, apps are THE thing, above every other consideration. If a smartphone/tablet cannot utilize the latest and most popular apps, then consumers simply won't buy it, no matter if the device offers superior performance in every other area over its competitors.

For Blackberry to increase its market share, there has to be more new apps available for its products. But in turn, app developers don't want to invest their time and money creating new apps for the Blackberry unless the company first draws in more users. It's a conundrum.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  Yeah, Blackberry's 3 day outage coming on the heels of the iPhone 4S might just be the nail in the coffin that finally puts RIM out of its misery.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

After Steve Job's passing and more of his life is becoming public material, plus with the Motorola Droid Razr coming out in November AND the BB Torch now available at Verizon, I've kinda decided against the iPhone.

Not too familiar with the Droid Razr but with the Gorilla Glass and the steel construction, I'm hoping the Droid Razr will work for me.

The problem I had with the Droid X were several. 1) Battery life didn't allow me to be a power user from morning to late evening without recharging late afternoon. I track five email accounts with my BB and am using it all day. 2) I didn't like the way you unlocked the screen. The BB had a physical button on the top left that allowed you to physicall lock or unlock the phone. 3) The Droid X was too big for my Asian hands and too tall for my shirt pocket. Basically the phone was too big. 4) I knew it was an omen from the beginning. When I got my first Droid X via UPS, and I tried to do the initial update (*228 option 2) it wouldn't connect to Verizon. The second one did the same thing. The third one finally did but a few days later it failed to connect online. Verizon determined it too was faulty.

After three bad Droid X phones, I decided I didn't want it anymore and picked the BB Storm II as my replacement for my BB Storm I. The Storm II like the Storm I operated flawlessly right out of the box.

When my Storm II was up for replacement, I decided to go for the iPhone4. Great phone but my wife said no Returned it and reactivated my Storm II.

Now most of you here know me as the Moral Majority guy and I uphold that belief as part of my integrity piece in life. When I read excerpts of Steve Jobs bio, I was a bit taken back at his attitude on authority, drugs and his incessant desire to yell at people who don't see it his way.

He said if Bill Gates had taken LSD like he did, he would have had a different mindset. He believed taking drugs allowed him to see outside the box and that allowed him to design all the iGadgets he's come up with. Bill Gates with his current nerdy mindset donated half of his fortune to the cure of Aids. Would Bill Gates have done that with a different mindset?

Steve Jobs managed to make his company into one of the richest corporations in America...which by the way is what Occupy Wallstreet is protesting against...Corporate Greed.

The iPhone is a great phone that really does simply work right out of the box, however for philosophical reasons, I will probably choose not to go with an iPhone.

Like this video says: One Died, Millions Cried. Millions Died, No One Cried

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      ...The iPhone is a great phone that really does simply work right out of the box, however for philosophical reasons, I will probably choose not to go with an iPhone. ...
                      On the philosophical note, iPhones are also made by Foxconn, a Taiwanese company known for sweatshop labor environments at their plants in China.

Haven't read the autobiography yet but Steve Jobs was livid about how Android is a copy of the iPhone OS. However, can this not be said of Apple with the GUI and mouse - copies of Xerox products?

Comment

I was really surprised that Foxconn made them as they are crappy motherboards in general. Foxconn also makes the laptop motherboards for ASUS laptops as well! That was a total amazement as ASUS is also known for making top notch desktop motherboards. Why would they contract out motherboards for their own line of laptops when they manufacture their own for desktops?

Comment

...Haven't read the autobiography yet but Steve Jobs was livid about how Android is a copy of the iPhone OS. However, can this not be said of Apple with the GUI and mouse - copies of Xerox products?
                          Oh yes! Thank you for saying that! I didn't want to stoke the embers of this hot topic but yes many do not realize or remember that it was Apple that lost a lawsuit brought on by Xerox for stealing their GUI format. Apple then tried to sue Microsoft for doing to them what Apple did to Xerox. Now Apple and Samsung are in a lawsuit tit for tat war with each other.

Comment

Making purchasing choices based on philosophy and principles is fine and all. But I imagine that all those things will seem totally insignificant if it leads to buying a product that is poorly conceived and executed. No better example of that than my brother, who was always something of an anti-Apple zealot. He scoffed at the iPhone 4 and got himself HTC's flaghip phone, the Thunderbolt. Three months later, he totally regrets it. Dozens of times, the phone would freeze at random moments, forcing reboots. After 8 months of owning an iPhone 4, I have yet to experience a single lock-up. Not once.

But an even greater source of frustration is the lack of across-the-board compatibilty of Android apps among all the handsets. What works beautifully with a certain Motorola model might be glitchy (or worse) on a Samsung. At least when it comes to Apple's app store, you know that anything you purchase there will work work on an iPhone. Period. And on the rare occasions that there is an issue with an app not working properly, the app store will offer updates/fixes to ALL iPhone users at the same time, rather than the hit-or-miss support that Android users have been saddled with,.... what with the bewildering array of Android "compatible" handsets out there that app programmers have to cater to. It's a daunting challenge that they are sometimes not able to meet.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              ..But an even greater source of frustration is the lack of across-the-board compatibilty of Android apps among all the handsets...
                              Considering Android is open source, tweaking of the code by different handset manufacturers wouldn't be a surprised. It's not really a frustration with that mindset. iOS is proprietary.

Comment

Considering Android is open source, tweaking of the code by different handset manufacturers wouldn't be a surprised. It's not really a frustration with that mindset.
                                Not really a frustration? Whatever. Tell that to the Android owners who have gotten excited whenever their favorite media service/game developer hypes the upcoming release of a new Android app,..... only to be disappointed when the new app comes out and they discover that their particular handset offers only partial or zero functionality.

Comment

Working...
                                X