• Show
Clear All

• Is Anyone There?

Sure is quiet.

Re: Is Anyone There?

Originally posted by oldiron View Post
    Sure is quiet.
    LOL.

I think this is what happens when bots & trolls are allowed to suppress dissenting opinions; you're left with nothing more than a boring echo-chamber.

...and once all of those echos die off, all you've got left is an empty chamber.

So, welcome to the EMPTY CAVE that was once "Hawaii Threads".

Comment

HELLO,

...HELLOo,

...HELLooo,

...HElloooo,

...Hellooooo,

...hellooooo,

...ellooooo,

...ellooooo,

...loooooo,

...looooo,

...loooo,

...looo,

...ooo

...oo

...o, ...

Comment

Sure is quiet.
        Sorry oldiron, but if I had to guess I'd say that whatever public funding that may have been used to sponsor this site in the past is FAST running out to where they can't even pay trolls to make timely responses to dissenting opinions (like mine) anymore.

...and while the low-information crowd remain all too ready to scoff at the idea that Hawaii Threads might actually have been designed to function as little more than a community-data-gathering propaganda tool functioning largely for the benefit of bureaucratic elites, never forget that many of them are probably the SAME PEOPLE who would NOT ONLY site the recent rise in social media outlets (Fakebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.) as the cause of diminished traffic to THIS site, but could also be expected to downplay the covertly illicit data-gathering practices attributable to these social media sites:

https://thenextweb.com/facebook/2019...ata-about-you/

...even as these same social media sites conspire to willfully censor dissenting public opinions siting Identity Politics (racist, bigot, sexist, homophobe, etc.) as their justification.

https://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-...ser-1775461006

https://www.propublica.org/article/f...nts-algorithms

http://www.facebookcensorship.com/

There are more such links to reports about Twitter, Snapchat, instagram, etc. for anyone who who would care to simply look it up.

This, of course, is what happens when "conspiracy theory" is resolved through documented evidence and becomes provable as CONSPORACY FACT.

As for THIS site, well, YOU be the judge.
        Last edited by woodman; May 22, 2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/JQc5gDXQGIs
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Sure is quiet.
            Hey howzit! Where you guys goin?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was beginning to think that everyone had left.

Comment

Nobody post anything here; they just post links to other pages and the reader is off to another website.
                "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                Ayn Rand

Comment

That's certainly one way of looking at it.

Another way might be (after reading through past posts) to simply conclude that site administrator having allowed forum vigilantes free reign to flame and insult members with impunity is perhaps serving a particular agenda through this site that may amount to propaganda.

I pose this question again: Is this an individually sponsored site, or is this site sponsored by C&C of Hon, or State of Hawaii $$$?

Jumping in to defend your pal who might work one or the other doesn't count. If ANYTHING, it just validates my point.

Like I said, this site has become an empty cave because the closed-minded few who were DELIBERATELY AND WILLFULLY allowed to dominate it by belittling ANY dissenting opinions, and have turned it into an echo chamber that does NOT allow free thought and honest opinionns which do not conform to the forum agenda.
                  Last edited by woodman; June 7, 2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                    Nobody post anything here; they just post links to other pages and the reader is off to another website.
                    There sure are a lot of topics at this site. A reader could do a search on a topic and then get some related topic in the search. Because everything you wanted
                    to know about that topic is in this site. What? There's more!

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      There sure are a lot of topics at this site. A reader could do a search on a topic and then get some related topic in the search. Because everything you wanted
                      to know about that topic is in this site. What? There's more!
                      This is the part where Johnny Carson would say,"You are wrong,Internet breath."

Comment

Well, since nobody is willing to address this topic, I think that it's important to bring it up, AGAIN.

Site traffic is down to almost Zero (with NO adds), so where does all the money come from to sponsor this site?

Here's my take:

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                        That's certainly one way of looking at it.

Another way might be (after reading through past posts) to simply conclude that site administrator having allowed forum vigilantes free reign to flame and insult members with impunity is perhaps serving a particular agenda through this site that may amount to propaganda.

I pose this question again: Is this an individually sponsored site, or is this site sponsored by C&C of Hon, or State of Hawaii $$$?

Jumping in to defend your pal who might work one or the other doesn't count. If ANYTHING, it just validates my point.

Like I said, this site has become an empty cave because the closed-minded few who were DELIBERATELY AND WILLFULLY allowed to dominate it by belittling ANY dissenting opinions, and have turned it into an echo chamber that does NOT allow free thought and honest opinionns which do not conform to the forum agenda.
                        I think people got tired of all the out-of-control "moderators" virtue-signaling through identity politics of manufactured outrage cloaked in what can only be described as a painfully obvious and artificially pious, self-righteous indignation.

These rants were often delivered in an incredulous monologue of "Holier-Than-Thou" sanctimony belittling the author. And anyone who discovered that the Site Administrator actually allowed, facilitated, and gave summary approval to all of this knew that there was NEVER ANY REAL OPEN DISCUSSION ON THIS SITE when opinions and FACTS went against the agenda of the Admin & his designated Website Vigilantes.

And as I said before, now, it's just an empty echo chamber.

I used to be a moderator for a similar website, so I know it's not cheap to maintain.

So my question sill stands: I don't care who the individuals name is who is listed as site "owner","superintendent", "operator", etc.

I just want to know how much City, State, or Federal dollars are currently being used to subsidize it.
                        Last edited by woodman; August 6, 2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

As someone that runs a couple of websites, I know it does not take meg-a-bucks to run a site like this. Maybe $1k a year, depends on what company you rent the server from. The moderators are normally volunteers so they don’t cost anything.
                          Most forums have rules to maintain some decorum. I’m sure the owner of this forum does not want to have this site become one of those that the mass shooters are getting fired up at. We want to be civilized here.
                          "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                          Ayn Rand

Comment

This message board is run entirely out of pocket by me personally.

The lack of traffic is not uncommon for message boards, which are definitely a relic of a time before social media. Most of the competing message boards are gone now. The gathering place of the modern age is Facebook, which is tragic for a variety of reasons.

The lack of new members and the lack of spam and trolls are due to the same reason: I manually review applications to join, which avoids all the loopholes around automated systems.

I've just continued to pay the bills in part because of the massive volume of historical knowledge and commentary HawaiiThreads.com has accumulated over fifteeen years.

Comment

And I thank you for doing that.
                              Last edited by 68-eldo; August 7, 2019, 08:14 PM.
                              Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                              X