Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Night Clubs from the Past

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
    I think that was in the underground parking lot of the Reef Hotel and the club was named Captain Nemo's?
    That's correct I remember going there and my Dad showing me that glass area by the bar where you could watch the swimmers.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      But... but... what is "oofing"?

Ha. Haven't heard this term since the 6th grade. PDA to the extreme is what we knew it as.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
        Thanks for the info. I did a search and found some photos and remembered the free aquarium (with the colorful fish, seals and electric eel) that we we walked through several times.

New Otani Kaimana Hotel? Sounds like that got "taken over." Sad. What was the old name of the hotel or was it just called Kaimana?
        The New Otani took over the Kaimana hotel sometime in the late 70s or early 80s if I remember correctly. Many moons ago I had a delivery job and had a lot of deliveries in the Waikiki area and remember the transition to the New Otani Kaimana hotel.

Comment

When I went there around 1996 that place behind Eagle's was a bizarre nightclub that showed Betty Page S&M videos on the wall. I think it was an early rave or something. They sold extacy inside at a counter with a window. (Nope, didn't buy) I recall being told that I couldn't bring my beer upstairs. I can't remember the name of that place or was it called Pink's?

Does anyone know the spelling of the beach where Bobby McGee's was located? It is pronounced "San-sue-see."
          I think you're talking about World Cafe that has since closed previously in the Nimitz Business Center.
          Last edited by na alii; March 30, 2008, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Behind the Eagle Cafe on Nimitz Hwy. used to be a club/room that had years of great rock shows, but can't remember the name. Reminded me of the infamous Pink's/Garage.
            That was World Cafe, who moved there from Restaurant Row. Then that closed and it became Volcanoes Nightclub. Not sure what's in that warehouse space now, but it's not a nightclub anymore.

Pipeline Cafe seems to be a popular spot for rock and raggae concerts nowadays.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Carol Kai used to perform at the Pagoda during the late 1960's.

I think even David Copperfield had a long engagement at the Pagoda during the mid to late 70's.

Aj

Comment

When I was in intermediate/early highschool in the 80s, there used to be a nightclub for teens in Kailua called "Circles", in the shopping square that Cinnamon's Restuarant and Jeanlu toys are/were. Anyone remember that place? The only thing I can remember about it is that it had a Yie-Ar Kungfu videogame machine in it, but from what I can recall it was *the* place to go if you were too young to go to Fast Eddies.

And then there was the late, great Pink's Garage (and later, just "The Garage"). That was an amazing place to see the caliber of awesome underground national bands who would NEVER give Honolulu the time of day nowadays. That was in the heyday of Radio Free Hawaii, and we got to see amazing bands like Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr., Fishbone, They Might Be Giants, Smashing Pumpkins ("Gish"-era, at that!)...an incredible time.

Comment

Teen hangouts in the mid-to-late '60s: FAT CITY and FUNNY FARM.

I have two LPs featuring local rock bands: BOSS DANCE HITS (cover photo taken at FAT CITY) and LIVE! FROM THE FUNNY FARM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    Ahhhh...yes. Da Nomads. Talented family. I watched them perform while working at the Paradise in Pearl Harbor. Yep. At the Enlisted Men's Lounge. I worked the Taco Stand. heheheh

They could sing and play some Soul Music!

Auntie Lynn
                    The Nomads were pretty good, they could play a variety of music from stuff like KC and the Sunshine Band stuff to Lou Rawls songs! I've been watching some of their stuff on VIDEO if you can believe it, along with Country Comfort, Makane and some others from way back in 1976....! It is neat watching them all perform back in their primes!

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                      The New Otani took over the Kaimana hotel sometime in the late 70s or early 80s if I remember correctly. Many moons ago I had a delivery job and had a lot of deliveries in the Waikiki area and remember the transition to the New Otani Kaimana hotel.
                      I had a delivery job in Waikiki in the 80's. What was the name of that one building with the storied water fountain in front of it? It had various shops in it and a fast food stand (Magoos?). Closer to Ala Wai. Was it the Waikiki Shopping Plaza?

Comment

if you're around eric's & my age group, another club from the past is grumpy's, across the street from compusa. the velvet lounge upstairs was where you went to be naughty on a night when the restaurant row scene felt played out.

allegedly.

anyway, it became something else forgettable after that. and now it's a restaurant.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I had a delivery job in Waikiki in the 80's. What was the name of that one building with the storied water fountain in front of it? It had various shops in it and a fast food stand (Magoos?). Closer to Ala Wai. Was it the Waikiki Shopping Plaza?
                          Yes it was the Waikiki Shopping Plaza. Remember the Mitsukoshi Building where Planet Hollywood is now? It had the water sliding on the glass.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                            if you're around eric's & my age group, another club from the past is grumpy's, across the street from compusa. the velvet lounge upstairs was where you went to be naughty on a night when the restaurant row scene felt played out.

allegedly.

anyway, it became something else forgettable after that. and now it's a restaurant.
                            Isn't it called Pablo Sato Steaks? I went there recently to buy a steak plate lunch.

Comment

Isn't it called Pablo Sato Steaks? I went there recently to buy a steak plate lunch.
                              ploi thai is in the old grumpy's spot now.

i heard he was in the compusa area but never saw it there. we did go to the one that was in the same complex as remington college, 3 star cafe & komala curry house on alakea street, but my understanding is he closed that location.

anyone seen him at UH?
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Yes it was the Waikiki Shopping Plaza. Remember the Mitsukoshi Building where Planet Hollywood is now? It had the water sliding on the glass.
                                Yup, we went to Mitsukoshi's back in 1980. I think it was one of the early places to have all sit-down video games. We sat and played a lot of Galaxian there. The Fun Factory preceeded it (1975?) in Pearlridge Phase II but it was mostly stand up games.

Comment

Working...
                                X