What's in your garden now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in your garden now?

I'd love to see a thread like the food ones ("what's for dinner") but instead, what's in your garden?

Need some ideas! Mahalo!

Re: What's in your garden now?

Weeeeeddds but also a pineapple plant growing from the cut off top of a fresh pineapple that was planted and green onions also planted from the roots of store bought green onions.

Comment

Aloha Adri!

Me too with the green onions from the store, and the weeds too, always weeds.

I think I am going to put in some okra and some Manoa lettuce. Perhaps a big plot of ginger so I can make ginger ale in the winter....

Comment

Poha, lilikoi, rosemary, 2 types of basil (wife and daughter love my pesto ), Okinawan tangerine, Kona orange, red meat papaya, Hawaiian chili peppers and even medicinal olena. Going to start Japanese eggplant and carrots as soon as I get off my butt and get to it. Japanese cukes and tomatoes are on the agenda. All are going to be grown our of large pots that are at least 3ft. off the ground. Our dogs love veggies and will strip the plants bare or dig up all the carrots.

Comment

wow - you could almost be your own Farmers Market! Wish I was your neighbor.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Da Rolling Eye: I am so jealous! Every time I try to grow basil, something eats it before it gets to be an inch or two big. and poha! I haven't seen poha in years. I used to have a chili pepper bush but it died and I haven't replanted because it attracted a lot lot of bulbuls.

Comment

Well, since you asked:

Currently-

Pots: cymbidium orchids, phalenopsis orchids, schomberkia orchids, cilantro, lemon thyme, dill, rosemary, lemon grass, Italian parsley, heliconia (why is it dying?), ginger, dracena, 4 types cactus, madagascar palm, pineapples, asparagus fern, sword fern, yellow canna, rubber tree ficus, spider plants, pothos, swedish ivy, aloe, plain & varigated airplane plants, a 25 year old staghorn fern w/Spanish Moss trailing from it, Ponytail or bottle palm, Sago palm, lilacs, deadly nightshade.

Trees: Naval Orange, Meyer Lemon, Key Lime, Hass Avocado, Macadamia Nut, many varieties Banana & Plantain, Solo Papaya, Babaco Papaya, Jackfruit, and Catalpa. Going to put another mango in again.

Yard: Elephant Ears, bromeliads, ferns, cannas, Stephanotis, 5 types gingers, many palms, hydrangea, Bird of Paradise, and Giant Bird of Paradise.

Garden: Japanese cucumber, jalapenos, bell peppers, zucchini, rhubarb, Maui onion

Getting ready to plant Winter garden-

7 varieties of cabbage (eBay special), broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, sugar peas, turnips, rutabagas, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, green onions, radishes, and I don't remember what else... It's nearly 4 am here, and I'm pretty pupule by now.

Comment

Previous discussion here:http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?p=235390

I wish we could plant veggies, but we attract all the bugs in the neighborhood.

Comment

Collard greens, strawberries, papayas, mangos, nasturtiums. For some reason tomatoes didn't do well at all this year and an attempt at sunflowers was a dismal failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                    Collard greens, strawberries, papayas, mangos, nasturtiums. For some reason tomatoes didn't do well at all this year and an attempt at sunflowers was a dismal failure.
                    Bummers ah? Just gotta try whatever and see what goes and what doesn't. Wife wants me to try artichoke. Well whattheheck.

Adri, the wife has Thai basil and another variety that I thought was the sweet basil. Not, and the bugs like this one. Our plant is finally topping 24" after losing a couple of starters to bugs. The Thai basil is going crazy, but the leaves are kinda small. Have to pick a bunch to make pesto, plus it has a stronger taste.

As for the bulbuls, I have no sympathy for them. Try getting some cheap chicken wire from City Mill or whatever. Just throw it over the plants using wood stakes to keep it elevated. This is why the state had declared these "introduced" birds as agricultural pests. A breeding pair and it's offspring can ruin a whole tree of mountain apples as well as papayas. What sucks is they don't eat everything. Just enough to ruin any ripe fruit. They also cause tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage to our local ag industry. I really hates it when I reach up to grab a fruit to pick and my fingers go inside the fruit on the hidden side. By that time, the fruit flies have done their jobs and them tiny "maggots" are busy doing their thang as well. Eeeuuuwww.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                      ... I haven't replanted because it attracted a lot lot of bulbuls.
                      Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                      As for the bulbuls, I have no sympathy for them. Try getting some cheap chicken wire from City Mill or whatever. Just throw it over the plants using wood stakes to keep it elevated. This is why the state had declared these "introduced" birds as agricultural pests.
                      I was not sure what a Bulbul was, so I googled. I learned that there are two types found in Hawaii, and both are considered invasive species.

http://www.hawaiiinvasivespecies.org...tedbulbul.html
                      Red-vented Bulbul

http://www.hawaiiinvasivespecies.org...redbulbul.html
                      Red-whiskered Bulbul

Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Re: What could be in your garden now?

Look what I found! Yay for us condo dwellers!

There is hope for me yet.

Comment

Ah, I didn't know they were called Red-Whiskered Bulbuls. Such elegant little birds. The only thing bulbuls go for in our garden are small yellow flowers produced in abundance by some long, thin leaved plants. Bulbuls perch on the fence and swoop down to snatch a flower at a time. They don't bother the papayas.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                            Bummers ah? Just gotta try whatever and see what goes and what doesn't. Wife wants me to try artichoke. Well whattheheck.

You might have to try artichokes if they don't turn the water on in California. We may have to 'fend for ourselves here more if the farms all dry up.

Comment

Start in your area. Continue the meandering walks and be open to the beauty around you. You will see what can grow well in your microclimate. If you see something really cool, this is a great opportunity to contact your neighbor to find out how she did it or who she hired. Maybe you will make friends or even get a free plant or two! I also recommend using https://grass-killer.com/reviews/bes...-weed-killers/ to clear the area

Comment

Working...
                              X