What's your favorite gun store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite gun store?

As part of our bonding process, my dad wants me to take cooking and gun safety classes with him. Which gun stores are your favorite?

I'm specifically interested in O'ahu stores, but feel free to talk story about stores on your island.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: What's your favorite gun store?

Oh, and if you want to mentioned gun clubs or ranges, that'd be great too.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Comment

I have a teen that I'd like to introduce to a .45 cal or a 9 mm automatic over holiday vacation, too. I was thinking an hour or two at one of those Waikiki gun ranges that caters to Japanese visitors, but a full-blown course sounds like a great idea.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

ooooohhhhhh

you might want to try magnum firearms on queen street myopicjoe - it has everything you need - that is my favourite store

i have a shotgun under my bed incase of intruders; i keep the extra bullets next to the alarm clock in case of emergencies and 1 more for safe keeping

i named mines

shotgun = seeking penance
        9 mm = twin brother

hope that helps myopicjoe

have a blessed and pleasant weekend HT ohana
        Last edited by Seeking Penance; November 12, 2009, 09:17 AM. Reason: go USC!!!!
        stay forever young

Comment

I went down to Young Guns and Security Equipment Corporation today. Both places were friendly and patient, even though I was a novice. Every single employee asked me if I needed help, even though there were other customers around.

I'll visit OGC Tactical and Magnum next (any updates on the store owner's tax evasion indictment?)

Originally posted by Nords View Post
          I was thinking an hour or two at one of those Waikiki gun ranges that caters to Japanese visitors, but a full-blown course sounds like a great idea.
          The few gun store owners I talked to said the Waikiki ranges are good places to try out different handguns, before you buy them.

I don't really know, but I get the feeling full-blown courses would be found on the Big Island. Would be a fun getaway.

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
          i have a shotgun under my bed incase of intruders; i keep the extra bullets next to the alarm clock in case of emergencies and 1 more for safe keeping

i named mines

shotgun = seeking penance
          9 mm = twin brother
          I know a woman, on the mainland, who keeps one shotgun behind the living room sofa and another hidden somewhere else. I read somewhere that the purpose of a handgun, in home defense, is to buy you time so you can get to your long gun (rifle or shotgun).

By "1 more for safe keeping" do you mean another gun, or a single bullet/shell?
          "

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
            a full-blown course sounds like a great idea.
            Oh. Do you mean this kind of course:
            http://www.hawaiigunclub.com/en/rates.html

Or an outdoor range where you're firing on the move, and from different positions?
            "

Comment

The official outdoor range is out at Koko Head. I think it's owned by C&C or the State...
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                you might want to try magnum firearms on queen street myopicjoe - it has everything you need - that is my favourite store
                if it matters, a federal grand jury indicted magnum firearms' owner, arthur lee ong, for tax evasion. (DOJ press release at this link.)

per PBN:

Arthur Lee Ong, who owns Magnum Firearms in Honolulu, is charged with defrauding the federal government and six counts of tax evasion from 2000 to 2005, the U.S. District Attorney’s office in Hawaii said Wednesday.

He created multiple businesses, falsified tax returns to hide his income, and evaded more than $300,000 in taxes during the five-year period, according to the indictment.
                he was supposed to have been arraigned in mid-october but i couldn't find anything online updating the original press release announcing the indictment. the arraignment might have been postponed.

disclosure: eric and i made a purchase at magnum firearms last year.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                  Oh. Do you mean this kind of course:
                  http://www.hawaiigunclub.com/en/rates.html
                  Or an outdoor range where you're firing on the move, and from different positions?
                  Good question. I guess we'd start with the indoor range and see where her interests take her.
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I know the owner of Kaneohe Gun Shop. We went to high school together, and while I wouldn't call him a friend, we're at least friendly enough to have socialized a few times. I've heard him deliver his spiel a couple of times, and while I think he's a bit verbose, it's clear the guy knows his stuff, takes his stuff seriously, and won't rip you off. I don't think I'll ever buy a gun, but if I do, it will be from Daniel.

I should add that I don't know if mentioning that I referred you. It won't hurt, though.
                    Last edited by scrivener; November 13, 2009, 05:16 AM.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      I don't think I'll ever buy a gun,
                      On that, my friend, we agree.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Geez what a lousy post I put up. I think every sentence is a variation of "Blank blank blank blank, BUT blank blank blank," or its equivalent: "While blank blank blank blank, blank blank blank." Then there's that bizarre sentence at the end. I meant to say (and I actually edited that three times for clarity BEFORE finishing with what's now there) "I don't know if it will help you to mention that I referred you, but it wouldn't help," which is yet another of the _____ but _____ sentences.

I shouldn't post while I'm still in bed.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I have a friend who is obsessed with guns. He'll fire off a round from his Glock, pick up the spent cartridge with a pair of long nosed pliers and inhale the residual scent of the gunpowder and relish it...yeah time to consider your mental health buddy!

Now don't get me wrong, I have no issues with guns. Heck I was a marksman with my M-16 rifle in the military. I hunted Muflon with my friends in Molokai and went pig and bird hunting in Waianae a few times.

As for guns in the house, I have one but it's well hidden and the ammo in distinct different place under lock and key. I got three minor boys in the house. When it comes to personal safety and the closest police precinct is too far away, you gotta protect your family for the moment. Most crooks know that most homeowners are not prepared to fend off an attacker and they will without hesitation knock down your front door and hold you and your family at gunpoint while they rob you silly. Not in my home. I've been trained in firearms, I know how to use them and I won't have any hesitation in using it if my family is threatened...plus knowing Aikido and being trained in taking on armed adversaries from my military days helps.

But if you don't know how to use a gun, then I wouldn't even consider owning one because it will be used against you.

As for gun stores? Art Ong? Lots of guns and very knowledgable, but...
                          Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 13, 2009, 10:27 AM.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Geez what a lousy post I put up. I think every sentence is a variation of "Blank blank blank blank, BUT blank blank blank," or its equivalent: "While blank blank blank blank, blank blank blank." Then there's that bizarre sentence at the end. I meant to say (and I actually edited that three times for clarity BEFORE finishing with what's now there) "I don't know if it will help you to mention that I referred you, but it wouldn't help," which is yet another of the _____ but _____ sentences.

I shouldn't post while I'm still in bed.
                            I think you're posting like you make your Sudoku puzzles
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I don't think I'll ever buy a gun
                              Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              On that, my friend, we agree.
                              You agree that scrivener likely will never buy a gun? Matapule, I bow to your psychic skills.
                              Geez what a lousy post I put up. --- I shouldn't post while I'm still in bed.
                              All your writing powers are being poured into NaNoWriMo.

Comment

Working...
                              X