Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Time for me to return to my letter of disgust to a McDonald's franchise owner!
    I am disgusted as well! You get it girl, write it and send it to the powers that be, please - what the hell sort of manager is so ignorant as to force his employees to work in an inundation zone!! That is sooo ridiculous, and it has to be at least covered by OSHA standards. I hope that whoever was behind this will be fired!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
      Question is, what does the law permit people to do to survive?
      "The law" doesn't permit looting. BUT, given the circumstances, it would be understandable if those authorized to enforce the law chose not to prosecute.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Well, it looks like we dodged the bullet this time.
        Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        We sure dodged the bullet, as the saying goes! But no real damage.
        Hurricanes not hitting us, that is like dodging the bullet. But Saturday's event was not a miss, it was a hit to be sure. What hit us however, was small and noticable so it will be like we was hit by a BB Pellet, rubber bullet, or a tranquilizer dart.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          I am disgusted as well! You get it girl, write it and send it to the powers that be, please - what the hell sort of manager is so ignorant as to force his employees to work in an inundation zone!! That is sooo ridiculous, and it has to be at least covered by OSHA standards. I hope that whoever was behind this will be fired!
          I'm about half way thru it. Learned today that my building's management wasn't approached by the McDs in question about evacuating employees to a higher level of the building. All those levels are secure so someone would've had to make a request. Mgmt said they would've granted it. At this point I don't know if the decision to stay open was made by the owner or the manager. I'm going to give them an opportunity to tell their side of the story first, with a deadline. I doubt they will but, if they do, that's when I'll pick their excuses apart with a scalpel because there just aren't any legitimate ones for this situation. I really, really have my panties in a bunch over this.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            What hit us however, was small and noticable so it will be like we was hit by a BB Pellet, rubber bullet, or a tranquilizer dart.
            Can I assume you had experiences with BB pellets, rubber bullets, and tranq darts?

They sting. And you'll KO when the tranq hit your system.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Very little experience of BB pellets and only on the sending side. Okay maybe go for a spit ball or paint ball.

Comment

7 AM Saturday...rolled out of bed...bowl of cereal with banana...clicked on the TV.....there's Joe Moore....brief confusion..looked at my watch?....then

BAM holy cow a Tsunami coming.

Woke up my daughter. We got dressed and fed real quick. Then down to Honokohou Harbor. Mass people at the docks. Boats leaving everywhere. Got the Cool Breeze unwrapped and rigged up in record time. Eva was a total trooper. She might be the best 8 yo sailor in the islands. Moved the car up to the Tesoro. Went in for some beer and grub. Hitched back to the Harbor. Eva had the boat ready to go. Off we went.

Must have been 200 boats outside green buoy. Mill pond ocean with nary a ripple. Could see my reflection in the water. (Felt like Earthquake Weather from my old Cali days.) Kinda creepy.

Bobbed around for hours. Threat passed by Noon or so. Sailed back into harbor. It was worse coming in. Boat after boat, with fishing boats just running folks down in the mouth and the channel. Some cornhole captains need a good ass-whipping. Guys couldn't even find their own mooring balls without the neighbor vessels there to guide them.

Jumped aboard the LeiMakani to help Aunty dock the boat. Helped catch other boats with single person on board. Eva ran around everywhere helping everybody.

3:30 pm.....Taco Bell for a grind fest. We were totally starving.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

KHON reports that "some customers" are accusing a 76 filling station in Maili of price-gouging. Marisa Yamane interviewed disgruntled customer Jeffrey Lee, who showed a receipt saying he paid $4.47 per gallon for premium. As KHON's investigation showed, though, it was revealed that Lee used one of the "full service" pumps, which charges a $1 more per gallon.

It's too bad Marisa didn't go back to Mr. Lee to get his reaction.... because it would have been nice to see a guy like him on-camera realizing that he has made a TOTAL JACKASS of himself. For the following reasons:

1) Mr. Lee claimed to have been a "loyal customer for many years" of that gas station. Oh really? Then what is his excuse for not being aware that the station did not have full service pumps?

2) I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Lee was aware that he was paying full service price. It's just that he doesn't want to admit that he went to the full service area because the line was shortest for those pumps. He, like so many other idiots in this state, went on a panic buying spree. All he cared about was filling up his trucks, tanks, and generators full of gas at that time. Later on, after the tsunami warning was cancelled and Mr. Lee's sanity returned, he's all sore because he wasted his money purchasing gas from the full service pumps. At best, Jeffrey Lee is a crybaby. At worst, he's deliberately slandering the reputation of a business that doesn't deserve any accusations of price-gouging.

It's too bad Marisa didn't do a follow-up interview with Jeffrey Lee or any other disgruntled customer for their reaction to the truth. The Maili 76 station deserves an apology from those selfish, no-class people.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Pretty amazing stuff here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/201003...neddaysonearth
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      KHON reports that "some customers" are accusing a 76 filling station in Maili of price-gouging.[...]
                      This is the gas station I use when I'm in residence in Makaha. The lanes have been marked exactly the same way for years...3 for self serve and 1 for full serve. That FS lane is immediately outside the station's office and within easy view of the garage. The only issue I have with the owner's interview is that he said the disgruntled customer didn't ask for full service. In the 15 years I've patronized that station, when I pull into the full serve lane I have never had to ask for full service. An employee sees my location and is there to do his/her job. That should've been the case on Saturday but the owner didn't offer any insight as to why that didn't happen. The FS lane at that station has always been expensive altho' I didn't realize it was a dollar more. Good thing I don't fill 'er up there! I'm reasonably sure there wasn't any price gouging involved but it appears to me that that particular lane's customers might've received poor service.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        This is the gas station I use when I'm in residence in Makaha. The lanes have been marked exactly the same way for years...3 for self serve and 1 for full serve. That FS lane is immediately outside the station's office and within easy view of the garage. The only issue I have with the owner's interview is that he said the disgruntled customer didn't ask for full service. In the 15 years I've patronized that station, when I pull into the full serve lane I have never had to ask for full service. An employee sees my location and is there to do his/her job. That should've been the case on Saturday but the owner didn't offer any insight as to why that didn't happen.
                        I know the reason why.

Jeffrey Lee stated (in his own recollection) that he went to the gas station at 4 AM in the morning. At that time of the day, the 76 station would have a skeleton crew working. Probably just ONE attendant to do the full serve, and maybe one cashier. (I would be very surprised if the owner had two or more FS attendants.) The station owner/manager couldn't have foreseen the tsunami warning when the work schedule was made, could he? Even if the station manager stayed awake late Friday night to hear about the tsunami warning, it would have been very difficult to schedule extra help at that time.

Result: The 76 station was swamped with customers, with little in the way of working hands.

If it was just a lone attendant already in the middle of taking care of another customer (full service would include the attendant pumping the gas, wiping the windows, checking the oil, checking the tire pressure, and anything else the customer requests), then you know the attendant had more on his hands than he could handle. I don't care if that attendant happens to be an honor student in HCC's automotive tech program. You can only service one car at a time.

Since you patronize that particular station, Sue, perhaps you can answer this. Are those the kind of pumps where one can swipe a CC/debit card and not have to go to the cashier? I betcha that is probably what happened with those impatient customers, who were in such a hurry that they didn't want to wait for the attendant to finish the other car. Yeah, I know. It would be nice if the attendant(s) could be "eagle-eyed" and warned every incoming customer about the full-serve price. But if the attendant is checking under the hood, it sorta makes it tough, y'know? There's only so much running back-and-forth between cars that a human being can do before things get just a little chaotic and confusion ensues.

But I don't buy Jeffrey Lee's excuse that he didn't know that he was at the full-serve pumps for a second. As he said, the line of cars waiting to fill up at the station was going out into the street. Once he realized he was in the line for the full-service pumps, he probably didn't want to go back in line to the gas-n-go pumps. He just wanted his gas, now, at that time. Too late for any regrets at this point.

Even if you want to give Lee the benefit of the doubt, then what does that mean? The man is illiterate because he can't read the "full serve" sign, or he was utterly careless and didn't take the time to read the price per gallon posted on the pump display. Either way, I say that guy is a self-centered jerk.

BTW, sorry if I'm coming across as being more upset about this than I should. But having worked as a gas station attendant during my high school days, I know what it feels like to be swamped with cars during a time of unexpected emergency and the station is short-handed. If any sort of confusion or misunderstanding occurs and the attendant is labelled as the sort of person who provides "poor customer service," well then,.... I think that such an assessment would be most unfair.

JMNSHO.
                        Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 2, 2010, 12:25 PM.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Several minutes of footage as the waters went out at Ventura (CA) harbor.

Warning: if shaky hand-held video makes you queasy, take your meclazine before viewing.

Comment

Yes indeed. I just got off the phone with a friend who was at Ventura Harbor during the tsunami and it was significant. My live-aboard friend's observations on SD Bay have been confirmed and evidently the local news is covering the story now. Late, but...better late, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              I know the reason why.

Jeffrey Lee stated (in his own recollection) that he went to the gas station at 4 AM in the morning. At that time of the day, the 76 station would have a skeleton crew working. Probably just ONE attendant to do the full serve, and maybe one cashier. (I would be very surprised if the owner had two or more FS attendants.) The station owner/manager couldn't have foreseen the tsunami warning when the work schedule was made, could he? Even if the station manager stayed awake late Friday night to hear about the tsunami warning, it would have been very difficult to schedule extra help at that time.

Result: The 76 station was swamped with customers, with little in the way of working hands.[...]
                              You make a very valid point, FM. But let me ask you this...Does the owner have the ability to adjust, at will, the price on the pumps? I ask, because your point about being understaffed during an unforeseen emergency makes sense. So, if the pump price can be changed within a reasonable amount of time might it not have behooved the owner to go all "self serve", drop the full serve pump prices, cover the full serve lane sign with a hand written self serve sign and let all customers take care of themselves? I don't know the answer to this which is why I'm asking the question.
                              Since you patronize that particular station, Sue, perhaps you can answer this. Are those the kind of pumps where one can swipe a CC/debit card and not have to go to the cashier[...]?
                              I honestly don't know because I use that station only for full service.
                              But I don't buy Jeffrey Lee's excuse that he didn't know that he was at the full-serve pumps for a second.
                              I don't either. If he's truly a loyal customer as he mentioned he knows the full serve lane has remained in place...forever.
                              As he said, the line of cars waiting to fill up at the station was going out into the street. Once he realized he was in the line for the full-service pumps, he probably didn't want to go back in line to the gas-n-go pumps. He just wanted his gas, now, at that time. Too late for any regrets at this point.
                              At that point one should just thank their lucky stars that they had the time to fill up and bite the bullet on the extra cost with no complaints. Had the tsunami hit full force and Mr. Lee was out of danger with all tanks full, ya gotta believe he wouldn't be complaining.
                              [...]If any sort of confusion or misunderstanding occurs and the attendant is labelled as the sort of person who provides "poor customer service," well then,.... I think that such an assessment would be most unfair. JMNSHO.
                              I still think the owner had time to think thru his predicament a bit more and come up with a better solution...IF he had the ability to change his pump prices. I didn't mean to indict the attendant. This is kind of akin to my issue with McDonalds on Sat. The employees were at the mercy of their owner or manager.

BTW...did anyone try to go to Costco Iwilei on Sunday? I drove passed it and the line up of cars to get into the parking lot snaked both up and down Alakawa. I couldn't figure out if people were trying to return all the emergency merchandise they bought on Saturday or the people who couldn't stock up on Saturday morning decided not to wait for the next civil defense siren and were hoping to stock up before they got caught short handed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Several minutes of footage as the waters went out at Ventura (CA) harbor.

Warning: if shaky hand-held video makes you queasy, take your meclazine before viewing.
                                From what I've been told the pressure on the subduction plate off Washington/Oregon has been building up for way too long!

The Kwakiutl legend of the "Thunderbird" is said to be based on NW coast earthquakes. Hope you live above 200 ft elevation, Leo, cause sooner or later (likely sooner, since the plate has been moving), you won't have to watch tsunamis on TV.

Caring for you safety,

K
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X