HT Recipes: Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT Recipes: Soup

Ty, Auntie Lynne, I have a huge pot on right now, I couldnt wait for a rainy day! Smells so good, cant wait!

Comment

When I eat portagee soup, I somehow adopted my nana's husband's knack for eatting it with a splash of ketchup inside. He one portagee that ate his that way. I guess what ever floats your boat.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Dear Marco, A recipe becomes yours ~ just play/add to it and it becomes your own. You made it...so you take the credit!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
        Haha. Thanks Auntie L, but we already gave you the credit.

Just so you know, everyone loved it! Good thing I saved some for myself before serving it, because next time I looked, it was cleaned out!

Planning to make some more later this week, and I've got some ideas of my own to add to it. Mahalo again for the recipe!

Comment

Originally posted by dallascat70 View Post
          Ty, Auntie Lynne, I have a huge pot on right now, I couldnt wait for a rainy day! Smells so good, cant wait!
          heheheh

I'm sooo happy a lot of you are cooking it!

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          Haha. Thanks Auntie L, but we already gave you the credit.

Just so you know, everyone loved it! Good thing I saved some for myself before serving it, because next time I looked, it was cleaned out!

Planning to make some more later this week, and I've got some ideas of my own to add to it. Mahalo again for the recipe!
          Thats great. What are you adding? Don't forget the bread with plenty butta! hahahaha

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here's a bowl of Jook I made from this past TGD turkey....

I made the rice "porridge" kinda' thick in this batch, as you can see how gelatinous it looks in the spoon. Gotta' love those random pieces of turkey to chew on. Yum. It woulda' been nice if I had some chopped peanuts as an additional condiment, but nevah' stay get. The green is Chinese Parsley.

Hey, when you make Miso soup, how do you start your broth? If I'm lazy, I just add a packet of Dashi No Moto (bonito powder) to the hot water, add the miso paste and that's it. Otherwise, I start it by simmering Kombu (the really thick one) and a few pieces of saba, scallops and/or clams and simmer until it extracts the flavors, strain, then add the Dashi No Moto. That method adds unbeatable depth and character to the finished soup, making it taste much more authentic - not so generic. Learned that method from a Nihongin friend of ours. I prefer Shiro Miso (the white one).

I'd say my favorite soups are Clam Chowder, Chicken Noodle, Miso, Portuguese Bean and Jook; in no particular order - just depending on mood.

Safeway's deli soups are really ono too.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

I'd say my favorite soups are Clam Chowder.
              Which kind of clam chowder?

Although it tastes okay, the frequently-gluey "New England" clam chowder is far from authentic. Over-thickened with flour paste, often. Toss it in a bread bowl and serve it to the masses on Fisherman's Wharf.

I just had this discussion with a co-worker who is originally from Boston. Recipe? Salt pork, onions, potatoes, salt, pepper, clam liquor, milk, clams. Rather thin, compared to the stuff often served as New England style clam chowder.

I make a Long Island style chowder, which is similar to a Rhode Island clam chowder. The basic LI chowder from the 1600's is clams, clam liquor, onions, salt, pepper, and thyme. The modern version varies with the addition of salt pork, carrots, celery, potatoes, and a bit of tomato. The broth is still very milky-looking---not at all like that hideous Campbells Vegetable Soup with a Clam Passed Over it "Manhattan Clam Chowder."

Incidentally, I use the canned clams from Costco for my chowder now. Used to get them fresh, sometimes clamming from friends, in NY. The canned are pretty good. They even come with a bit of sand.

Comment

Pomai

I followed your jook recipe and it came out ono. Mahalo!
                just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                  Pomai

I followed your jook recipe and it came out ono. Mahalo!
                  Good to hear that. You're welcome.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I need help with my Miso soup.

Got a tub of miso, and followed the directions on the tub. Garnished it with green onions. It didn't come out bad, just my soup was like McDonalds coffe as compared with fresh Kona coffee. I ate it, but I'd never serve it to anyone else. What went wrong? I need some miso soup recipe tricks!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

heh, turtlegirl? try looking at pomai's post #35 he talks about his way of making miso soup.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Fry a smashed garlic clove in a bit of butter and then add a grated zucchini. Add chicken or vegetable broth and bring just to a boil, then drop in an egg and stir gently. Top with a sprinkle of parsley and eat.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

For a ton of great tasting and healthy soup recipes, just google - greek soup.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

It was kinda rainy yesterday so I planned to make portuguese bean soup for dinner tonight thinking it might be a rainy night. I stopped off shopping after work and picked up smoked ham shanks and carrots and thought I had the rest of the ingredients. Today I was gathering the ingredients together and realized *eep* I have no portagee sausage. How can that be? I have reindeer sausage that a relative gave to me for Christmas and I can't bring myself to eat. I know it's probably good, but still. I guess no can make portuguese bean soup without the portuguese sausage. Back to the market I go.

Comment

In a large-ish pot, in hot goosefat, fry cut up leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, cabbage, potatoes, celery and pumpkin til sligtly brownd. Add thyme, bayleaf, salt, pepper, parsley, Tabasco, and a vegetable or chicken stock cube (optional), add soaked small white beans, or add a can of beans. Top with water and simmer til delicious.

Bacon, hambone, chickenfeets, or duck confit optional.

Comment

Soup is always better on the second day.

Comment

Working...
                                X