Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alooha from Germany!

Aloha everybody!
    I am from Germany with some close ties to Maui.. I lived there for about three years, and my cousin, auntie and a bunch of friends are so lucky to still live there in Paradise! ( Here in Germany fall has started with rain and ugly grey all-over clouds...) I wish I was in Hawaii, camping in Kipahulu, swimming at Hamoa or eating some fresh ono SUSHI... I think of Hawaii a lot (and next week my friend Sal from Kailua is coming to visit me!! Hopefully bringing some slippahs, Kona coffee and lots of Aloha) I really want to go back to Maui, but you know how it is.... money and time do not permit at the moment. What else? I am a student at Freiburg University (majors English linguistics and Chinese studies) and I am currently writing my master's thesis about Hawaiian pidgin, so that keeps me looking up websites about Hawaii all the time -this is how I stumbled over Hawaii threads and here I am! Thanks to Ryan for trusting me- I hope I can contribute positively to this page and to intercultural understanding! Malama pono

Re: Alooha from Germany!

it's been a little misty on and off today for us in kailua as well.

welcome to ht.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Aloha Johanna und wie gehtz !

I lived in Pirmasens Germany for 4 years and miss it a LOT. My dad was in the army, so that's how I ended up there. I loved going for drives with the family and seeing castles up on the hilltops. And I really really really miss the food!! My favorite line was "Eine metwurst mitt pomme fritts und eine grosse fanta"

Anyway, welcome to the board and thanks for bringing a little bit of Deutschland with you

DD
      www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
        I loved going for drives with the family and seeing castles up on the hilltops. And I really really really miss the food!! My favorite line was "Eine metwurst mitt pomme fritts und eine grosse fanta"

DD
        Yeah, ok, the food... and the castles... and the beer!!! Oh yes! No more Coors or Bud light, thank god! Thanks for reminding me that I actually live in a really nice place. If it was just a little bit warmer and if I had the ocean in front of my house, I'd be super happy. And hey, you don't know what you got till its gone. Seems like you have to go away from home every once in a while to be able to appreciate how nice it is there. And Family, friends, all that. I am still a little jealous though, I have to admit... oh, and I love your German!

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
          it's been a little misty on and off today for us in kailua as well.

welcome to ht.
          Thank you! Today was not that bad, but I'd still not hesitate to exchange the temperature here for some Kailua mist

Comment

Welcome Johanna! It was cloudy and rainy the last two days in honor of your joining HT!

When you come, please bring some of that ono gulaschsuppe, some hefeweizen, and PRETZELS! My short stint in Germany was full of castles, the Mosel River Valley, and some of the best food in the world! My most favorite ever was a great big schweinehaxen!!

(That should get everybody googling!!!)

Okay, now I am headed for my German cookbook....

Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post

When you come, please bring some of that ono gulaschsuppe, some hefeweizen, and PRETZELS!.[.......] My most favorite ever was a great big schweinehaxen!!

(That should get everybody googling!!!)

Cindy
              Ok, I sure will! You guys all like that meat stuff... I must have missed out on something - I am vegetarian since I was six years old ( Must have been fed too much Schweinehaxen as a baby!) Oh, and Gulaschsuppe, I am sure my mom has a good recipe, even though its a Hungarian dish

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                Can I volunteer to be your official taste tester ??

DD
                www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                  Can I volunteer to be your official taste tester ??

DD
                  Okie dokie! But you better be fast, 'cause I love all that German food! Jaegerschnitzel, here I come!!

(Hear that? That's the sound of my arteries hardening....)

Comment

Spooooooky!! If arteries harden from Jägerschnitzel, then I know why I don't like it. Reminds me of Hulk! Do you look like him too?

Comment

Originally posted by Johanna View Post
                      majors English linguistics and Chinese studies
                      Cool majors. are you also interested in typography, by chance?

I learned about linguistics for the first time in high school. I had read on of Deborah Tannen's best sellers. Our computer lab monitor was a student at UH who happened to also be majoring in linguistics. When I mentioned the book, he made a snobby face. I guess he had issues with her books. Whatever. I still liked them.

Anywho. Welcome to HT
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                        Cool majors. are you also interested in typography, by chance?

I learned about linguistics for the first time in high school. I had read on of Deborah Tannen's best sellers. Our computer lab monitor was a student at UH who happened to also be majoring in linguistics. When I mentioned the book, he made a snobby face. I guess he had issues with her books. Whatever. I still liked them.

Anywho. Welcome to HT
                        you mean typography = bookprinting?? Or calligraphy with a inkbrush?
                        I have never heard of Deborah Tannen... I will go and google though.
                        My majors sound cool, but if I had known how hard it is to learn Chinese, I might have chosen Spanish!

Comment

Aloha everybody!
                          I am from Germany with some close ties to Maui.. I lived there for about three years, and my cousin, auntie and a bunch of friends are so lucky to still live there in Paradise! ( Here in Germany fall has started with rain and ugly grey all-over clouds...) I wish I was in Hawaii, camping in Kipahulu, swimming at Hamoa or eating some fresh ono SUSHI... I think of Hawaii a lot (and next week my friend Sal from Kailua is coming to visit me!! Hopefully bringing some slippahs, Kona coffee and lots of Aloha) I really want to go back to Maui, but you know how it is.... money and time do not permit at the moment. What else? I am a student at Freiburg University (majors English linguistics and Chinese studies) and I am currently writing my master's thesis about Hawaiian pidgin, so that keeps me looking up websites about Hawaii all the time -this is how I stumbled over Hawaii threads and here I am! Thanks to Ryan for trusting me- I hope I can contribute positively to this page and to intercultural understanding! Malama pono

I have a friend in Bramburg(?) somekind of "burg" who speaks Pidgin, straight English and German and HE Portagee, Bruh from Nanikuli! He married a German wahine and stayed deya.
                          ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

you mean typography = bookprinting?? Or calligraphy with a inkbrush?
                            Yeah, the book printing stuff.

My majors sound cool, but if I had known how hard it is to learn Chinese, I might have chosen Spanish!
                            Heh. I bet it's wildly different. Outside of the classroom, do you have many opportunities to speak/hear Chinese?
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Yep, there's tons of Chinese here, most of them studying business. So no problem to hear, but to understand is a different thing...:-) Even after 7 years of studying, I cannot distinguish the different tones when they talk fast-- So I getting futless! Gotta go to China or rather Taiwan (cause its an island and supposedly tropical, hehe)
                              OH, and I don't know much about bookprinting... why you asking, are you interested in typology?

Comment

Working...
                              X