Mr. Abercrombie has the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Abercrombie has the floor

I'm sure Rep. Neil Abercrombie is steamed to find out the results of the Native Hawaiian bill. While he was thanking GOPers on the floor, they trashed it. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of Neil on this one. I feel for the guy!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Mr. Abercrombie has the floor

Someone want to give Rep. Abercrombie a hand removing those knives from his back? "Et tu, Boehner?"

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Someone want to give Rep. Abercrombie a hand removing those knives from his back? "Et tu, Boehner?"
      You are so right! What the pho? Whatever happened to truth? Oh wait, this is Congress.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I really need to know what it is about Hawaiians that makes them inferior?

If they are not inferior, then why do they need special programs?

If you want to own a home, work hard, and buy a home. Which part of that is the confusing part?

There is no doubt that I am confused on the special needs issue.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          I really need to know what it is about Hawaiians that makes them inferior?

If they are not inferior, then why do they need special programs?

If you want to own a home, work hard, and buy a home. Which part of that is the confusing part?

There is no doubt that I am confused on the special needs issue.
          Don't mistake your ignorance for confusion, timothy.

The republicans are hypocrites for claiming that special legal privileges for Native Hawaiians are unconstitutional. The whole damn U.S. annexation of Hawaii was unconstitutional.The Newlands Resolution, the illegal act which "provided" for the annexation of the Hawaiian Islands to the United States and signed by a corrupt U.S. President was itself unconstitutional. I challenge anyone to cite the provision within the framework of the United States Constitution that enables the U.S. government to annex a foreign territory (which Hawaii was at the time) to the United States by joint resolution.

Comment

Even at the time, the "overthrow" and the annexation were hot-button issues. More so today. There is what is legal, and what is right.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              Even at the time, the "overthrow" and the annexation were hot-button issues. More so today. There is what is legal, and what is right.
              Both the overthrow and annexation were neither legal nor right.

Comment

Sooooo basically you are saying that two wrongs make a right? Granted the SCOTUS has reversed itself in the past, but as it stands precedent argues against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Thought View Post
                  Sooooo basically you are saying that two wrongs make a right? Granted the SCOTUS has reversed itself in the past, but as it stands precedent argues against it.
                  What precedent are you referring to?

Comment

Whooops! Politics! Backstroke.

Comment

In my neighborhood, there are 32 homes. Hawaiians own around 22 of the homes. When the Bishop sold us the land 3 years ago, all of my neighbors were able to buy the land. In fact, a couple of my neighbors helped each other to make sure everybody got to buy. It was terrific.

I'm not talking about history of 120 years ago. My question is concerning the now, and the today issues. Why does Abercrombie think Hawaiians can't buy a house for themselves? If somebody treated me like a moron, or presumed that I was somehow unable to compete in the real world, I would be a little ticked off.

Hawaiians should be furious with Abercrombie because he presumes that they are somehow unable to fend for themselves. By my experience, and seeing my neighbors, I would tell you that the Hawaiians in South Kona have no problem making a go of their lives. They own their homes. They work as hard, or harder, than I do. They own good looking trucks. Some have boats. And motorcycles. They throw terrific parties, full of good food, and lots of love.

Maybe Abercrombie is thinking of some other Hawaiians that I have never met. Cuz the ones I know and love are hard working mofo's just like me. Ain't no difference whatsoever, and believe me, our skin color don't matter.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

This thread has languished for some reason.

I guess Abercrombie is the ONLY person in the State of Hawaii who thinks Hawaiians can't cut the mustard. But I'd have thunk that lot's of folks would get on this thread and try to prove why Hawaiians can't make it on their own.

I must say that I am pleased. Cuz I have always thought Abercrombie was a duncecap, and a giant enemy of the Hawaiians due to his condescending opinion of them. I can tell you from experience that Hawaiians are just as capable, moreso in some things, as anybody else I know.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                          What precedent are you referring to?
                          Sorry it was an indirect reference to Rice v Cayetano and its collective implications toward OHA. I don't know exactly when the push for tribal status began (can anyone enlighten me?). I don't remember hearing about it till after Rice, which would make attempting to gain tribal status somewhat disingenuous since the movement (sovereignty) didn't try to portray itself as a tribe. How can it be a tribe now? Then there's the possibility of the recent Kamehameha Schools case moving to the SCOTUS, although even assuming it gets cert the Court has changed composition lately and certainly isn't the Court that heard Rice.

I believe that there is weight and validity behind the constitutional challenge that resulted from Rice, and that the questions raised regarding Kamehameha's admissions policy have merit. Court decisions aside, in a country where, at least on paper, racial discrimination is prohibited is it desirable to allow exceptions based on historic deprivation/discrimination?

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Thought View Post
                            Sorry it was an indirect reference to Rice v Cayetano and its collective implications toward OHA. I don't know exactly when the push for tribal status began (can anyone enlighten me?). I don't remember hearing about it till after Rice, which would make attempting to gain tribal status somewhat disingenuous since the movement (sovereignty) didn't try to portray itself as a tribe. How can it be a tribe now?
                            It started in 2000 with the introduction of the Akaka bill in response to the numerous attacks on Native Hawaiian programs. I know the good Senator means well but the bill fails to make light of the fact that the annexation of the Hawaiian Islands was ILLEGAL. There is no provision in the U.S. constitution or any principle in international law which could have provided a proper legal basis for the U.S. to acquire the Hawaiian Islands as a territory by joint resolution. I think it also important for people to know that the statehood vote was a sham attempting to hide the historical illegality that began in 1893, with full U.S. complicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                              It started in 2000 with the introduction of the Akaka bill in response to the numerous attacks on Native Hawaiian programs. I know the good Senator means well but the bill fails to make light of the fact that the annexation of the Hawaiian Islands was ILLEGAL. There is no provision in the U.S. constitution or any principle in international law which could have provided a proper legal basis for the U.S. to acquire the Hawaiian Islands as a territory by joint resolution. I think it also important for people to know that the statehood vote was a sham attempting to hide the historical illegality that began in 1893, with full U.S. complicity.
                              If you can't change the past, why not support the future? Learn from the mistakes our leaders made in the past and apply it to your wants for the future. On this Kuhio day, remember that even Prince Jonah eventually supported the annexation of the Hawaiian Islands.
                              Last edited by alohabear; March 26, 2007, 09:34 AM.
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X