New IHOP in Hilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New IHOP in Hilo

A new IHOP just opened in Hilo in our Prince Kuhio Plaza Mall. My children were very curious to try this new pancake house out so we all headed there.

I am not the kind of person to shop for deals or is affraid of spending, but what is the deal with IHOP'S prices! I could not believe it just for pancakes!

For my wife and I, and my three small children the bill came out to over a $100! Average plate was like $15.00 to $18.00 and just for breakfast food ! I know I spent less at way more luxurous places like the Kahala Manderin or even Sam Choys.

I do not think this place will survive here in Hilo with our old stand by being Ken's House of pancakes which has a bigger and more diverse menu and also more humane prices.

Whew!

Re: New IHOP in Hilo

Oh my, I heard the same complaint from someone else. So I guess what I heard is true. Me and my girlfriend were going to go and eat there two Sundays ago.
    We decided against when we saw it packed to the gunnel's. But with those prices I figure the newness will wear off quick.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Oh my. $100?! That's absurd. I read somewhere that Denny's in Kihei, Maui is similar to that in pricing.

There's an IHOP that recently opened in Waikiki on Kuhio Ave. I'll run in there this weekend and check their prices for you.

You're right, that one in Hilo won't last long price gouging like that.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The food at the new IHOP was average and your typical pancake house fare.

The prices were sure within semi fine dining area.

There was anohter really good breakfast restaurant that recently just closed down here. Firehouse Restaurant and I sure missed that place! They made good blood sausage.

I had a really awesome breakfast in Waikiki at a place called the Aqua Cafe. Is that place still in business?

Comment

We've got a brand new IHOP here (O`ahu) at the Windward Mall that just opened a few months ago. Same parent company as your new one in Hilo, as I recall.
          I had a spinach-and-mushroom omelette and a cup of coffee, and the bill was $13 or $14 or thereabouts. Part of the high prices at that IHOP may be because of the huge rents at Windward Mall, but still... back to The Koa House for me. Just like with Ken's, better food and much better prices.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            We've got a brand new IHOP here (O`ahu) at the Windward Mall that just opened a few months ago. Same parent company as your new one in Hilo, as I recall.
            I had a spinach-and-mushroom omelette and a cup of coffee, and the bill was $13 or $14 or thereabouts. Part of the high prices at that IHOP may be because of the huge rents at Windward Mall, but still... back to The Koa House for me. Just like with Ken's, better food and much better prices.

Still kinda of high for just eggs....

Comment

Geez. I'll pass the word on to my parents. They wanted to try the IHOP in Windward Mall too.

Windward City Shopping Center (?) Got a take out place round back called JR's...RJ's...something like that. Steak, eggs and rice for 5 bucks.

A year after our last Disney trip and I still can't bring myself to go to a Denny's. When my wife mentions it, I can feel that twinge in the gut. Yeah, that deep down burning sensation and you just know that things are going to start going inside out in a few seconds.

Comment

IHOP has been on Maui for awhile, first in Kihei (Azeka Market) closed down and then in the Maui Mall, taking over the old Farrell`s Ice-Cream Parlor location. And your right about the prices they charge for breakfast. But here in Kahului there is limited places that serve breakfast. With Denny`s, IHOP, Marco`s close to the Airport areas. Koho`s, Ruby`s and Sheiks at the Queen Kaahumanu areas, there ain`t much places in these areas beside McD`s, BK or Jacks.
                When IHOP first opened in the Maui Mall most of there breakfast included pancakes, now its a-la-carte. But yeah you pay big bucks at IHOP. Mo betta go to the hotels and have brunch. What I miss is Sizzlers and there brunch
                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Denny's in Kona, really unsanitary place when I last went there. Service was also very poor.

Can't beat the wait staff at Ken's in Hilo. They got spirit and personality despite always being over worked and in a rush. I love it when they gong that bell and yell Sumo! When someone orders a sumo min or sumo moco!

If your ever in Hilo and go to Ken's try their Smoked Chicken. I never had anything like it anywhere! ONO!

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                    IHOP has been on Maui for awhile, first in Kihei (Azeka Market) closed down and then in the Maui Mall, taking over the old Farrell`s Ice-Cream Parlor location. And your right about the prices they charge for breakfast. But here in Kahului there is limited places that serve breakfast. With Denny`s, IHOP, Marco`s close to the Airport areas. Koho`s, Ruby`s and Sheiks at the Queen Kaahumanu areas, there ain`t much places in these areas beside McD`s, BK or Jacks.
                    When IHOP first opened in the Maui Mall most of there breakfast included pancakes, now its a-la-carte. But yeah you pay big bucks at IHOP. Mo betta go to the hotels and have brunch. What I miss is Sizzlers and there brunch
                    Hey Oggboy
                    I was just in Maui this past weekend, we put on the Kikaida show at the Matsuri! We went to a restaurant in Kaahumanu Mall the one right in front with an airplane hanging from the ceiling. I think it was Ruby Tuesday? I may be wrong? But it was pretty good breakfast and not over priced.

You guys are lucky in Maui, Even got a Sharper Image and Krispy Kream! Here in Hilo we got stores that shut down and go out of business in our malls.

The maui manju and cream puff were awesome coming off of my diet! My daughter spent a small fortune on Maui Wowie chocolate bars. Pretty cool choclate with lots of different ones including Kava! But in my opinion cannot beat our Big Island Candies Chocolates! Now our chocolates are some of the best around!

Comment

Nice to hear you had breakfast at my restaurant. It`s called Ruby`s Diner, a Mainland based chain thats been here for over 5 years. Glad you like the cream puffs and the manju. Oh by the way I`ll be sure to check out Ken`s when I go Big Island cause no can beat the local kine family dining. Oh yeah I also like the Big Island cookies some ono. By the way Hawaiian Host Candies started on Maui F.Y.I
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                        Nice to hear you had breakfast at my restaurant. It`s called Ruby`s Diner, a Mainland based chain thats been here for over 5 years. Glad you like the cream puffs and the manju. Oh by the way I`ll be sure to check out Ken`s when I go Big Island cause no can beat the local kine family dining. Oh yeah I also like the Big Island cookies some ono. By the way Hawaiian Host Candies started on Maui F.Y.I
                        Oggboy

This world is too small! You must know my high school friend too! He was with me that last Saturday and is originally from Hilo but now owns a Pizza Restaurant in Lahaina.

I havent seen him in 23 years and he knew everyone in Ruby's and even the Matsuri organizers. Was that you who he waved to in the kitchen? If so, that was me sitting with braddah Vivas.

Your guys restaurant had really nice waitresses and hostess , and as I said,food was good too! I left a good tip as the service was A +!

Layne

Comment

IHOP is so over rated...

went to the Windward location last weekend..

i think Old Pancake house is way better!

Comment

Wow,

I LOVE IHOP since I'm a little kid (Pigs in Blankets!!!) but $100 for 5 people is UNACCEPTABLE....

Unfortunately, as gas prices increase, so does everything else...and the restaurants use it as an excuse to price gouge.

It seems that everything is just going through the roof, price-wise.

But $20 per person at IHOP is just plain wrong....frikken pancakes are CHEAP to make, and it's not like they're using 100% maple syrup.

Unreal...
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

You can get breakfast buffet at Princess Kailani Sheraton hotel for $19.95 per person. That, or IHoP? Hmmm ... let me get back to you

Comment

Working...
                              X