Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a serious, vegetarian pig-out feast…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a serious, vegetarian pig-out feast…

where do you go? What killer restaurants would you take your date to, if s/he was into eating really healthy/vegan/macrobionic?

Sometimes I like my dinner to be super healthy, and a lot of it. I crave something more than a leafy salad, often requiring me to build-a-meal (I'll take a salad and a baked potato and a side of something else…)

What do you do? Where do you go?

pax

Re: For a serious, vegetarian pig-out feast…

There are some possible restaurants listed here:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...ulu/index.html

I actually googled for the Hare Krishna restaurant because I heard their food is really good (and vegetarian) but it seems to only serve lunch.

Legends is pretty good. I've gone there with friends and vegetarians and non-vegetarians have been satisfied there.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      I actually googled for the Hare Krishna restaurant because I heard their food is really good (and vegetarian) but it seems to only serve lunch.
      The food is decent so is the price. I've eaten there a few times (years ago).
      Last edited by Vanguard; January 17, 2008, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Vegetarian Pig-Out?

Excellent oxymoron.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Ruby Tuesday has an all you can eat salad bar. Granted it's not a vegetarian only place but at least people with different views of food can eat at the same time and place.

Comment

Well years ago before Terry Shintani became famous (but a hard-core vegan) I did run into him eating at Harpo's Pizza in Kapahulu, chowing down on a (I assume vegan) pizza there.

For Dr. Shintani he had a keen interest in the Molokai Diet. After researching it he modified it and started treating his patients at the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center, calling it the Waianae Diet. He had some great successes with obese and cancer patients.

From there he went worldwide with a marketing campaign after the success of his "Eat More Weigh Less" book. Our good friend Ruth Heidrich was another success story from his diet plan and she wrote a book called "A Race for Life" and appeared on the Ophrah Winfrey show.

If there could be one restaurant that could menu only the Waianae Diet (Now internationally called the Hawaiian Diet) I think that would be a very successful place to dine if you want to battle chronic weight, cancer, diabetic and other chronic illnesses that plague us from our unhealthy diets.

I've actually tried some of his dishes and for a carnivore it's actually not bad, a lot tastier than the monk food I see at some of the health food grab and go deli's in town.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well Bento on University/King Street is a pretty good place for the healthier fare. Kinda weird that a restaurant is on the second floor of a walkup business building, but it's tasty!

Zaffron has a buffet that's pretty vegetarian. I work like right across the street and the chai tea they serve is really really good!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I've actually tried some of his dishes and for a carnivore it's actually not bad, a lot tastier than the monk food I see at some of the health food grab and go deli's in town.
                Was it homemade, or does some restaurant offer at least a sampling of this Waianae Diet? Do you know if the Waianae diet is suitable for people who engage in athletic activity? Thanks for any info

Comment

Dr. Shintani...whatta character! I've seen him a couple of times at WCCHC when my doc was out of town, altho' it's been awhile. His book went nationwide as the Hawaii Diet. A few years earlier WCCHC released the The Waianae Book of Hawaiian Health; The Waianae Diet Program Manual. The biggest complaint I heard about the Hawaii Diet from mainland folks was the difficulty in finding some of the ingredients.

IIRC, diabetes is prevalent in native Hawaiians and the Waianae Coast has the largest concentration of native Hawaiians on Oahu. A clinic was set up at WCCHC to help them. Hence, the Waianae Diet and the Hawaii Diet.

About the time the first manual was released, a catering company on the Waianae Coast set up a pre-order and pick-up 'restaurant' that catered to Dr. Shintani's recommendations and recipes. At some point within the past 2 years, a diabetic opened a small health food store/take out restaurant within a half block of WCCHC. Neither business survived for very long. My guess is the economics of that depressed area couldn't support these endeavors. I enjoyed the food from both establishments.

Like P.M., if I'm jonesing for a meatless meal and am dining out I just put together side dishes...which is what I tend to do, regardless. I'm a grazer!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                    Was it homemade, or does some restaurant offer at least a sampling of this Waianae Diet? Do you know if the Waianae diet is suitable for people who engage in athletic activity? Thanks for any info
                    Ruth Heidrich was diagnosed with breast cancer and was given a deadline for living of a few months. She was determined to win this battle and sought out Dr. Shintani and went on his diet and a regimented exercise program.

When her cancer went into remission she decided that she wanted to further her physical abilities by participating in our local marathons and triathalons, winning medals and breaking records for her division. Prior to that she wasn't athletic at all.

So to answer your question if it's suitable for athletic activity, the answer is a very big YES!

The whole aspect of the original Molokai Diet that intrigued Shintani was when he realized that the ancient Hawaiian commoner ate what they reaped which consisted mainly of fish and taro and other crop. Only the Alii ate pork and other fattening foods brought in by Western man.

When Shintani found that the ancient Hawaiian commoner were bigger and stronger than today's modern Kanaka he started investigating what the ancient Hawaiians ate regularly. Already an active Vegan, he realized the Molokai Diet was one of the more perfect diets for the human body. He also realized that the ancient Hawaiian commoner didn't fall to many of the illnesses that the Alii had so there was a difference between the social classes and their diets.

Oh and yes the selections I ate was home made. I couldn't find anywhere his dishes were prepared and served.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      If there could be one restaurant that could menu only the Waianae Diet (Now internationally called the Hawaiian Diet) I think that would be a very successful place to dine if you want to battle chronic weight, cancer, diabetic and other chronic illnesses that plague us from our unhealthy diets.
                      Zippy's used to feature menu items from Dr. Shintani, which was rotated with the daily specials. Not bad. I tried a few dishes, like this veggie burrito with brown rice, which was quite tasty. They're no longer doing this though.

Even from Zippy's standard menu, I usually opt for the vegetarian chili, which I think has a better flavor than the regular meat-based chili.

Cool oxymoronic thread title!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        Zippy's used to feature menu items from Dr. Shintani, which was rotated with the daily specials. Not bad. I tried a few dishes, like this veggie burrito with brown rice, which was quite tasty. They're no longer doing this though.

Even from Zippy's standard menu, I usually opt for the vegetarian chili, which I think has a better flavor than the regular meat-based chili.

Cool oxymoronic thread title!
                        I used to mix the regular chili and the veggie chilli. I would buy four Zippy chilli fundraiser tickets and ask them to combine all four into one tub mixing the two. Made for one decent chili over rice. The Veggie chilli had more texture to it.

Comment

Thanks, Craig! That's very good to know. I think I shall pick up the aforelinked book about the Waianae Diet sometime.

Comment

strangely, when i crave veggies and am too lazy to do it myself, i go to a korean restaurant. not the quick kine, but ones like million or seoul garden or yakiniku seoul. i just order a soft tofu stew and nosh on the kim chee while waiting. i've never failed to get full.

ooops...sometimes soft tofu stew has little bits of meat in it. sorry.

one place that does cater to vegetarians is india cafe (their website has the complete menu, with pics, if you're interested). and if you're a spice addict, their spicy eggplant has a depth of heat that boggles the mind (for reference, authentic kim chee has never challenged me the way the spicy eggplant at india cafe does). of course, if that's too hot for you to handle, you can drown your miserable tongue in a delightful lassi or fresh watermelon juice with pulp. mmmm...i think i know where i want to take eric to dinner tonight...
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

It's not a vegetarian restaurant, buy a favorite for veggie fare is Maharani, which I love so much that I often get emotional during meals: That's how good the food is. I can't believe I'm so lucky as to be eating food that good.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X