Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    there's a ground hum from the turntable.
    Ground hum from USB??? Or is there an analog out that's you're also using?

Yeah, ground hum is a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
      And where does all that dust come from anyway?
      Ai-ya! No kidding. Pulling out the rack that hadn't been touched in probably six years also meant letting the AF go at the area with a vacuum (as I'm allergic to all that dust).

Comment

Umm, go buy a ground lifter?
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Yes, the turntable is equipped with both a USB port and analog RCA cables, so this will be for both uses - with the stereo and with the computer (for burning CDs from vinyl). I've found that the hum vanishes when I disconnect the USB cable - so it looks like I've got a ground-loop when it's connected to both stereo and computer. Don't know if a lifter is the best answer, or if an isolator would be better.

Comment

so it looks like I've got a ground-loop when it's connected to both stereo and computer.
            Does the hum show up in the USB connection? If not, then I'd just connect it when ripping disks and not fight it.

Comment

People who drive down very steep mountains, using their brakes the whole way, while I am behind them. Try a lower, slower, gear, and take your time. When smoke billows out from the front wheels, it's a sign that you don't know what you are doing. And you are a danger to others.

People who go way slower than the speed limit on clear dry days. My brother, a cop in CA, says these are his favorite stops. He never gives a ticket. But he gives them an electronic glitch on their drivers license, so when they go to renew, they have to take a full drivers education course (just like when you were 15), including the road test AND the paper test at the end.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                Does the hum show up in the USB connection? If not, then I'd just connect it when ripping disks and not fight it.
                Good question. I spent so much time rewiring the stereo that I never got to the computer side of the equation. I'll let you know the results when I do. (Though it's a small hassle to reach to the back of the turntable to unplug the cable, it's do-able; but leaving a good 60-Hz hum unresolved just ain't my style.)

Comment

but leaving a good 60-Hz hum unresolved just ain't my style.)
                  I hear ya. I used to be that way. But now it just doesn't seem that important. The problem is I predict a whole can of worms since the computer is connected to the monitor, which is connected to .... Well, you get the picture. I may be wrong, but it seems there's no easy way to engineer the computer to be a part of your sound system.

I'd hate to add something to the analog side that might interfere with the sound. And I don't know of any isolators for USB.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                    hospital workers who do not know their own way around their own hospitals

i don't work for queen's but i do work for another hospital on the island, and have worked at it for about five years now. additionally, i've never had to go on to the queen's hospital proper, so i don't know how complicated it would be to find the wing you were looking for.

that said, many doctors and nurses and other hospital staff work very specialized jobs and may never have need to step foot into certain parts of their campus. for example, i work in one of the office buildings at my hospital. if you asked me the first year i worked there where the radiology department was, i wouldn't have known the answer. i wouldn't have known where cardiac cath was or where the ICU were, either. additionally, many physicians have credentials at more than one hospital and therefore, it's not unusual for them not to know exactly where the oncology unit is at maybe three of the five hospitals they work at if they have no need ever to go there. maybe this isn't the best analogy, but that's not so different from asking someone who works in the american savings bank that's at 1001 bishop street to tell you where alston hunt floyd & ing is in the same building.

you know, maybe your friend was in surgery at the moment, but did it ever occur to you that maybe that nurse whose head you just bit off had just had a patient die on her? yes, i agree that whenever you go into a place of business, even at a hospital, where very unhappy events occur daily, the staff should always be professional. however, hospitals are not hotels. those of us who work in the healthcare business do have a responsibility to be as friendly and helpful as possible at all times. yet you have to remember that healthcare workers do get emotionally involved with patients, family, and visitors, and if something has gone bad, it's unreasonable to expect us to step away from a patient's room when things are going poorly and two minutes later, smile at someone else as if we had no care in the world.

which brings me to one of my top pet peeves, ever. when people try to chide you into smiling when you're just walking along, going about your business. why do that to someone? you don't know if they've just had a heartbreaking argument with their child, or lost their dog, or had gotten into a car accident, or are thinking, as their walking along, how in god's name they're gonna make their mortgage payment that's due in two days because they had to spend $500 on an unexpected emergency. if you yourself feel like smiling or greeting someone with a hearty "good morning," great--maybe that alone will help the recipient cheer up, if they need cheering up and are so inspired. but cajoling them into putting a happy face for you is utterly ridiculous and selfish on your part.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

W.o.r.d...
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                        i don't work for queen's but...
                        Dang. Cyn just opened up another can of whupass
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

For what it's worth, the staff at Queens was nice, when my mom was there.
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

you know, maybe your friend was in surgery at the moment, but did it ever occur to you that maybe that nurse whose head you just bit off had just had a patient die on her?
                            and......that's my problem? i don't thinkso....

which brings me to one of my top pet peeves, ever. when people try to chide you into smiling when you're just walking along, going about your business. why do that to someone? you don't know if they've just had a heartbreaking argument with their child, or lost their dog, or had gotten into a car accident, or are thinking, as their walking along, how in god's name they're gonna make their mortgage payment that's due in two days because they had to spend $500 on an unexpected emergency. if you yourself feel like smiling or greeting someone with a hearty "good morning," great--maybe that alone will help the recipient cheer up, if they need cheering up and are so inspired. but cajoling them into putting a happy face for you is utterly ridiculous and selfish on your part.
                            that's a personal problem....
                            stay forever young

Comment

but cajoling them into putting a happy face for you is utterly ridiculous and selfish on your part.
                              Yeah, me too, I hate it when someone is nice to me with a smile and then actually thinks I'm gona SMILE BACK! Da nerve.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 3 - Slow Left Laners

I know the hospital thing. My S.O. is a medical supe. We know hospitals are compartmentalized or/and fragmented these days, and with recent fires/terminations/restructuring, etc., it's a sad scene.
                                I'm sorry for all who were impacted negatively - we were, too.

Now, for MY pet peeve of the decade....

People who drive under the speed limit in the left lane of two-lane expressways, like H-3 and H-2 especially....

They jam up the traffic flow, AND are in violation of the law, which states that:
                                Any vehicle in other than the right lane, if overtaken by a vehicle driving faster that they are, must move to the right at the earliest oppoortunity and allow the faster vehicle to pass.

Not the exact words..., but....

That's my Pet Peeve, chapter 3!

We call them "LEFT-LANE ZOMBIES" because they are obviously either unaware of the world around them (like ZOMBIES), or are agressively pursuing vengance upon the innocent (LIKE ZOMBIES!)

(Leo, if you jump in my fecals; for using the word ZOMBIE, claiming it is racist, you and I gotta meet at Makapuu for a secret meeting....*)

* (Be sure to bring your MAC-10)
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X