Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Is there going to be a car chase scene with both characters having an open mouth expression screaming "Aaaaaa.." as the car flies through the air?
    Another car chase scene would have T & T Tinting carrying a plate of glass with McGarrett & Williams driving their police vehicle through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      [...]
      Kelly getting a role that becomes more prominent as time goes on sounds like a very good idea. This show needs all the help it can get.[...]
      It appears Kelly was considered for the role of the governor.
      (scroll about half way down)
      Here's more info, with some character descriptions.
      (The above links are from last Feb.)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        It'll be interesting to see how this ensemble cast develops...or doesn't develop, as the case may be. Hitting a home run with an ensemble cast is always the goal but not always the result. It takes time.
        Just want to add. That's true, and we only seen two.

I think we can agree that Magnum P.I. crew gel together very fast and very well. The only thing that took a bit of time was figuring out Rick's role.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          It appears Kelly was considered for the role of the governor.
          (scroll about half way down)
          Here's more info, with some character descriptions.
          (The above links are from last Feb.)
          Hollywood always cover up age. So Kelly Hu can really still be a 30 year old character.

There no way Demi Moore would accept a TV role. But I do think she would make a good Governor type of character. She is "old" enough, and and yet young enough to be attractive. They could play her off as perhaps having some romantic interest in the past with the old father.

After all, in the 1st episode, the Governor wais "Your Dad was also a Friend of mine."

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Yes, the Camaro looked great. Maybe the Mustang is gone because Chevy came in as a sponsor after the pilot was shot.
            Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            I agree. In fact, I think this new version of 5-0 is closer in spirit to "Magnum PI" than the old "Hawaii 5-0".
            Speaking of Magnum PI and cars, I noticed in the preview for next week's episode, McGarret and Dano were driving around in a Ferrari. The Governor's special task force must pay pretty good.
            Last edited by zff; September 30, 2010, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
              Speaking of Magnum PI and cars, I noticed in the preview for next week's episode, McGarret and Dano were driving around in a Ferrari. The Governor's special task force must pay pretty good.
              I didn't see it yet. In Magnum it made sense. The Ferrari was not his.

If the Camaro was not special enough, they could always fix it up with aftermarket stuff.

Comment

Oh yeah, and another thing....

I love all the little transition scenes in the show that showcase Hawaii. I know they edit those in to jazz it up, but wow, it's like the Hawaii Tourism Board produces the show. I especially love the high-definition aerial photography. Some of those shots look like they had a helicopter flying between the buildings.

Comment

Lee Cataluna adds some perspective to 'old v. new' 5-0 in this morning's paper:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...l_formula.html

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                    I love all the little transition scenes in the show that showcase Hawaii. I know they edit those in to jazz it up, but wow, it's like the Hawaii Tourism Board produces the show. I especially love the high-definition aerial photography. Some of those shots look like they had a helicopter flying between the buildings.
                    The production apparently has a dedicated secondary camera unit that does nothing but scour the island for 'slice of life' scenes and images for those intercut transitions. I think that's one of the smartest things they did. I personally think the chemistry between Caan and O'Loughlin is pretty good, but even if you don't -- even if the plots fall flat, and the story seems weak one week or another -- just those periodic blasts of Hawaii imagery are great.

The best part is that they're not all cliche depictions of Hawaii. There was even a shot of a homeless beach camp... though of course it probably just look like a regular picnic and camp area to the uninitiated. But the mix of surf and sand and urban shots is refreshing to me.

Especially as weather turns wet and cold on the Mainland, those rapid-fire injections of golden Hawaii (albeit somewhat over-filtered in a "CSI: Miami" oversaturated way) are going to be like IV drug injections of happy for millions of folks.

Comment

http://www.sportshawaii.com/

Not too late to vote for the UH band to appear on Hawaii 5-0.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        The best part is that they're not all cliche depictions of Hawaii.
                        Did you notice there were no bikinis in the second episode, except for the ones in the opening title sequence? I was both pleased and disappointed.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          The production apparently has a dedicated secondary camera unit that does nothing but scour the island for 'slice of life' scenes and images for those intercut transitions. I think that's one of the smartest things they did. I personally think the chemistry between Caan and O'Loughlin is pretty good, but even if you don't -- even if the plots fall flat, and the story seems weak one week or another -- just those periodic blasts of Hawaii imagery are great.
                          Very Miami Vice-ish, those transitions are. I think it was Michael Mann who readily admitted that his show played to the MTV crowd, emphasizing the visuals and the music while the plot was almost an afterthought. For better or worse, H50 2.0 appears to be taking the same direction.

I don't know if the Hawaii Tourism Authority had anything to do with those montages. If the HTA had their way, for sure the series would be incorporating actual hotels and tourist attractions into the stories. For instance, the original series did numerous shootings at locales like Sea Life Park, Valley of the Temples, Hanauma Bay,... and even some places that are now gone, like Paradise Park and the Oceania Floating Restaurant. Hotels like the Ilikai, the Kahala, Sheraton Waikiki, and Hawaiian Regent (now the Waikiki Marriott Resort) were also featured many times.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post

I don't know if the Hawaii Tourism Authority had anything to do with those montages. If the HTA had their way, for sure the series would be incorporating actual hotels and tourist attractions into the stories. For instance, the original series did numerous shootings at locales like Sea Life Park, Valley of the Temples, Hanauma Bay,... and even some places that are now gone, like Paradise Park and the Oceania Floating Restaurant. Hotels like the Ilikai, the Kahala, Sheraton Waikiki, and Hawaiian Regent (now the Waikiki Marriott Resort) were also featured many times.
                            On a related note, the opening credits obviously give Hawaiian Airlines a huge plug, wasn't a United Airlines plane in the opening credits of the original and many other episodes too?

Comment

Another step toward naming the crime-fighting unit in tonight's episode; also, heavy use of the Kukui High connection . . . except the football team is the Kukui Kings (but the fans go nuts!).

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                                [...]also, heavy use of the Kukui High connection . . . except the football team is the Kukui Kings (but the fans go nuts!).
                                In anticipation of the Kings vs Nuts confusion, an explanation can be found HERE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X