Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ron Menor + DUI = Train wreck

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Hmmm, if anyone living in the 17th senatorial district has any political ambitions, they might want to take a stab at Menor's seat this year.

Sorry Tim and Craig. But there's almost no chance of a Republican emerging as a victor in this area. The successful Democratic challenger who defeats Menor in the primary will likely go on to win the general election as well.
    Well with the way that district is going...as Obama's been reciting...it's time for a change.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm still wondering why Menor refused to submit to the roadside sobriety test and the breathalyzer test at the station. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't such refusal lead to an automatic one year suspension of your license?
      Apparently, the police report inaccurately stated that he refused to take the test. Because if he didn’t take it, there would be no way prosecutors would have had his blood alcohol content as part of their case. In any event, Menor is going to jail. His political career is over (at least for awhile ).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        Apparently, the police report inaccurately stated that he refused to take the test. Because if he didn’t take it, there would be no way prosecutors would have had his blood alcohol content as part of their case. In any event, Menor is going to jail. His political career is over (at least for awhile ).
        I think it was on the TV news tonight (sorry, I cannot cite the source) that he did a breath test when stopped, which is how they got the blood alcohol content. He later refused a blood test at the station. (And, didn't he also refuse to do a field sobriety test, or "walk a straight line", because of his "foot injury"?)
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

According to the KITV 4 news last night, good ol' Ron Menor spent a night at OCC yesterday.... part of his 2 day jail sentence.

http://www.kitv.com/video/16381679/index.html

He may get out of jail today and could actually make it to this weekend's Democratic convention.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            According to the KITV 4 news last night, good ol' Ron Menor spent a night at OCC yesterday.... part of his 2 day jail sentence.

http://www.kitv.com/video/16381679/index.html

He may get out of jail today and could actually make it to this weekend's Democratic convention.
            It will be interesting to see if he shows up for this. And what kind of reception he gets from the attendees (applause, boos, angry calls for his resignation, etc.). Hopefully, Aunty Lynn and Lei Liko will keep us updated.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Aunty Lynn? Oooh he’s going to get whack whacks.
              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
              Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Apparently, the police report inaccurately stated that he refused to take the test. Because if he didn’t take it, there would be no way prosecutors would have had his blood alcohol content as part of their case.
                Menor may have taken the roadside breath test, but that's not the same as the breathalyzer test at the station. And refusing to submit to the breathalyzer test at the station still carries the penalty of an automatic one year license suspension, even if you submitted to the other sobriety tests.

Anyhow, as the KITV news story showed, Menor decided to plead guilty to DUI. He had to spend a couple of days in jail. But at least he wouldn't lose his driving license for an entire year. Since this is his first offense, the maximum suspension (as I said in my earlier post) is 90 days.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Menor may have taken the roadside breath test, but that's not the same as the breathalyzer test at the station. And refusing to submit to the breathalyzer test at the station still carries the penalty of an automatic one year license suspension, even if you submitted to the other sobriety tests.
                  This seems like redundancy, if you ask me. I understand the significance of a field sobriety test, which would demonstrate physically how impaired he was to drive. But if he took the roadside breathalyzer test, what’s the point of taking the same exact test again at the station? That seems rather rediculous, considering the BAC reading would be less than the first one.

If this is the law, it should be repealed. A total waste of taxpayer dollars.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I would think prosecution would be difficult if the only evidence was a test from a machine that was subject to who knows what as it bounced around in a police car. The calibration of that machine would be in question. Also I don’t think the machine has a recording ability so any results would be the word of the officer performing the test. The physical test is also based on the officer’s perception unless he video tapes the test. If the suspect is brought into the station and given a second test and fails that too while under the observation of other officers prosecution is much more likely to be successful.

I was under the impression that the test in the station was a blood test not a second breath test. The blood test is much more accurate than the breath test.

I have no problem with multiple tests to prove the guilt of a drunken driver to get more of them off the road.
                    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                    Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                      I would think prosecution would be difficult if the only evidence was a test from a machine that was subject to who knows what as it bounced around in a police car. The calibration of that machine would be in question. Also I don’t think the machine has a recording ability so any results would be the word of the officer performing the test. The physical test is also based on the officer’s perception unless he video tapes the test. If the suspect is brought into the station and given a second test and fails that too while under the observation of other officers prosecution is much more likely to be successful.
                      That is precisely correct. The roadside test is mostly to establish probable cause. But the breathalyzer test at the station is designed to be the conclusive evidence in court that will lead to a conviction.

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                      I was under the impression that the test in the station was a blood test not a second breath test. The blood test is much more accurate than the breath test.
                      HPD does, indeed, administer a breathalyzer test to everyone brought to the station after being arrested.
                      Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 27, 2008, 08:16 PM.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The attached came in Tuesday's mail:
                        "An open letter to the communities of Mililani, Mililani Mauka and Waipio Gentry"

"Paid for by Friends for Menor"

Reminds me of the good ol' Mansho days.

I can understand the cultural cleansing opportunity offered by an abject apology, but I have a hard time seeing this as anything other than cynical manipulation of voter sympathies.

Apparently his hypocritical remorse or his "higher standard of conduct" doesn't actually extend to the point where he'd see fit to resign his seat. That would seem to be the most democratic (in the voter-participation sense of the word) way to give the district's voters a chance to let him know how we feel.

I'm glad that taxpayer money wasn't spent to distribute this.

Who else is running for state senator from our district?
                        Attached Files
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                          Apparently his hypocritical remorse or his "higher standard of conduct" doesn't actually extend to the point where he'd see fit to resign his seat. That would seem to be the most democratic (in the voter-participation sense of the word) way to give the district's voters a chance to let him know how we feel.
                          I disagree with you on this point. If he resigned his seat, we will never know how the district’s voters feel. If he runs for re-election and is defeated, we will know he has lost their trust. If he wins, we will know that his support was deeper then casual support. Frankly, the DUI incident should be an open invitation for any aspiring politician to challenge Menor.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Frankie Says:
                            "she still couldn't stop herself from smiling ....in front of a camera....automatic reflex of longtime politicians.....
                            anyone points a camera at them"
                            Man, is that the truth. Like a 6 gr recital. Smile, Smile, Smile.
                            But sir, the buildings have collapsed!?!....I understand Smithers...
                            Please remember to smile.

TuNnL says:
                            "He was driving too SLOW, for Pete’s sake."
                            This speaks to the root of our traffic problem. There is a serious shortcoming
                            in the overall ability of drivers in Hawaii, on average, and that don't actually
                            include you, or you, and, of course, not you either. The real problem is that speed limits are too slow, in the slow ranges, such as 35 mph, 40 mph, or even 55 mph, on good blvds or big country roads with wide, meandering turns. I am passing you, all the time. And you need a serious driving lesson...
                            ....at a race track.
                            "Slower traffic keep right."
                            And/or pull the heck over, on a narrow road, and let others be more capable, and safer.

Nords says:
                            "then I'd take a taxi."
                            I, too, have hailed a carriage, from blissful oblivion. It's always a good choice.

Tutu and Leo say
                            "checking the restaurant's bill"
                            Leave the restaurant out of it. Mr. Menor made his own purchases. Consumer Choice.

Auntie say
                            "Or...he could have drank at the concert." ..... or in between, like me. Auntie know.

Craig says:
                            "Well with the way that district is going...as Obama's been reciting...it's time for a change."
                            Imagine less Democrats in Hawaii Government. Or less Reps in DC. Same basic idea.

If you drink, you prolly driven home "carefully" a few times.
                            Get caught? About $5000, all toto. Incl. lawyer, fines, lost work, counseling, etc.

Check any work truck, south bound, in South Kohala, at 3:45pm.
                            Or any car, leaving the bar, at 1:15am.
                            Or any high roller, comin outta the restaurant district, at 8:15 pm.
                            Or Unco Dada, at 1:25 pm, on a Saturday, after he been cleaning the yard all morning,
                            and need more gas.

Yup, you probably drink too.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

As expected, Menor will be facing Democratic challengers to his 17th Senatorial district seat. Opposing him in the primary will be Michelle Kidani and Resa Tsuneyoshi.

My pick to win it all is Kidani. She was the longtime aide to former city council member Rene Mansho. Kidani made news when she resigned from her post and led a recall effort against Mansho, citing various ethical and legal violations. Although the recall petition fell short, its aim was ultimately fulfilled when Mansho was later forced to resign in the face of snowballing scandals.

Comment

Menor will be facing Democratic challengers to his 17th Senatorial district seat. ... My pick to win it all is (Michelle) Kidani. She was the longtime aide to former city council member Rene Mansho. Kidani made news when she resigned from her post and led a recall effort against Mansho, citing various ethical and legal violations. Although the recall petition fell short, its aim was ultimately fulfilled when Mansho was later forced to resign in the face of snowballing scandals.
                                About six years ago, shortly before Rene Mansho resigned in disgrace, I was sitting at a family luncheon talking politics. My aunt bristled when I suggested Mansho’s legacy would be her 1992 vote on rail transit. Gordon Pang’s article drew the same conclusion:
                                But she may be most remembered as the key vote in 1992 against a half-percent excise tax increase that killed the funding for a mass transit train project that would have cost more than $1 billion.
                                But since then, history has bore that out. Unless Mansho accomplishes something significant before she passes into the next life, Rail Transit in all its controversy, has forever ensured Mansho’s record in the history books. If the media pays any attention to Kidani’s candidacy, you can be certain of it.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X