This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

hi this is sansei and i know everyone here know's i'll vote yes for rail only when i heard the debate for the mayoral candidates,i disagree with ann k that brt would work and that rail is noisy and from what i know,rail in the mainland isnt noisy and it would truly work without noise here.

the rail is electric and not like the train's of old of the years from 1920 and before,rail system today is bulit much differently and not like the train's of the 1920's and before.it's all updated.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Here’s more food for thought- we know that the second city in Kapolei has been talked about since the 70’s. It’s development is now underway. We know that the Dept. of Hawaiian Home Lands has built several hundred homes in Kapolei and is currently in the process of constructing around 2,500 more when it’s finished. We know that Schuler Homes is planning around 15,000 more homes in East Kapolei with its Ho’opili project. I’ve attended meetings at the State Capital with experts stating that residential development precedes commercial development, and that commercial development in Kapolei and Campbell Industrial is also taking place, meaning that more employers will be situated on the Ewa plains to serve the residents there, instead of having to travel into Honolulu to go to work. Target, Costco and Wholefoods is just to name a few of the many businesses yet to be established. This has been planned for decades and is intended to shift much of the traffic burden off of the freeways. I have not heard the Mayor ever mentioning this. Kapolei City will indeed be a major City. The development in Kapolei will do much more than rail ever will. So how does the Mayor factor this in his “build it now or we will suffer for eternity” mantra?

I remember being stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic going to school in town over 30 years ago. It takes the same amount of time for me to get into town today.

Sansei- The Mayor is a "He", not a "She". I hope you spoke to the right person.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        If road, cars, and buses is the working solution, then why do we have traffic gridlock and why do we have to be dealing with a transit issue?
        1. We don't currently experience gridlock. Were we to have gridlock, it would be reported in the news as a 'big event'. We do experience slow, but flowing, traffic during rush hours on a daily basis. Even so, that slow moving traffic is still faster than rail is expected to be, on average.

2. Express buses are often faster than solo driving today and would be more so were we to have continuous (and more) HOV lanes during rush hours. Even with rail, at least 90% of public transit trips will be BUS trips. Why should 25% to 30% of our public transit operating and maintenance budget be spent on less than 10% of public transit trips [for rail]?

3. By designating more and more extensive lanes as HOV, traffic can be greatly reduced for HOV lane users, including buses (and not only along the 20 mile Alignment corridor). We currently have HOV lanes and they do reduce travel time.

4. Traffic congestion is not among the most important issues we face during the next 20 years and rail doesn't even directly address traffic congestion, in any case. Spending billions on a rail transit system will not help conserve energy, reduce overall spending on transit, or produce any net improvement in lifestyle for island residents. We can save MORE energy (and more money) by promoting conservation through bus usage and increased HOV lanes (carpooling) TODAY than rail can potentially produce 10 years (or more) in the future.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

The pro-rail brochure that was included in one of the newspapers a week or 2 ago shows the initial, proposed rail as extending between Kapolei and Ala Moana Center with a projected travel time of 40 minutes. While I can see how that will benefit daily commuters who must commute during peak hours, it wouldn't be feasible for me, in the least.

I would need to get from Makaha to Kapolei. I'm not a daily commuter, instead spending chunks of time either in town or in Makaha. I would not want to leave a car parked for extended times in Kapolei so I'd need to take the bus to that rail station. Once at AMC it's an easy walk to my so-called office! But...I always have loads of stuff to transport back and forth...work files, computer, laundry, food, yada, yada.

And, I need a car in town for work because I schlep equipment and supplies between points A, B and C all the time. I suppose I could do without a car in Makaha, choosing to take the bus for grocery shopping.

So...no...rail would never work for me. But, then, neither does the bus! During non-peak hours the drive from Kapolei to AMC would be about the same as rail. It takes me 50 min. from Makaha to AMC. Schlepping all that stuff to and from my car takes longer!

A friend who used to live in Waipio owned a car and worked downtown. She choose to ride the bus every day because it was less stressful and allowed her to read and relax. Rail would be perfect for her. Hmmm...she still would need to find a ride from Waipio to the Pearl Highlands station then back home at the end of the day.

I dunno...it just seems to me that those who would benefit most by using rail are already using the bus. Possibly drivers might have an initial curiosity in trying rail but I still think those who don't need cars during the course of their workdays are already using public transportation. I just don't see how rail will reduce traffic to a satisfactory level. At this point I think I'd rather see some of that money go to our schools.

Just my 2 pennies. Feel free to give me change!

Comment

The problem with TheBus is not the travel time between Points A and B but rather the time you need to wait before a bus gets to Point A to pick you up. Depending on the route that wait between buses could be any where between 5 to 30 minutes.

Since the bus uses the same roads as the cars whatever slows the cars down slows the buses as well.

Part of the rail plan is to have the trains run at 3 minute intervals during peak times and I think as much as 10 minutes off peak. That way you don't have to wait long for the next train to pick you up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
              Your right, and it's not just rail. Look at the Natatorium. It was supposed to cost $18M. Then it increased to $22M. Then finally, $33M, AND THE *$@!K'N THING STILL ISN'T FIXED!!! You trust the City with your $$? Not to mention the stupidity of a salt water pool next to the ocean that wouldn't be used nearly enough to justify the expenditure. Rail is no different.

Common, people, do the math! Tell us how we're going to pay for it, and not what you THINK it will do for you. Be exact, and don't reflect the B.S. propaganda you hear on the radio being paid for by our tax dollars. I'll tell you- every property owner, including me, will see their property taxes significantly increase to pay for this! This is a fact that Mufi refuses to address.

I've already bought my extra long pitch fork and made a torch. When my property taxes increase, I'm marching to City Hall to chant for Mufi and every other City Official pushing this "bridge to nowhere" to get tarred and feathered regardless if they're still around. Anybody wanna join? Membership is free, but you have to buy your own pitch fork.
              http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news...ork3-thumb.jpg I'm with you on this one. Somewhat unrelated by remember when the city spent all that money on the Ha'iku Stairs? Everyday I look at it just sitting there unused and yet another example of money wasted. That was truly unfortunate that clear resolution was not identified before that job. It's too bad people can't use it although I've read why it's still a shame.

Comment

Will there be stools instead of benches at rail stations to discourage people from sleeping at these stops?

Comment

hi this is sansei and i for once agree with Neil Ambercrombie on rail and we as a state put rail on the map so their wont be trafficgridlock is here's what happened to me,while riding through chinatown,they had a watermain break at the corner of s king and alakea so i had to swicth lane's and i had to turn left to where the bus goes past alakea,

and then turn at the corner past the post office on my way to my destination and while in town,i sat in the longest trafficgridlock and it wasnt no fun and the people would still wish to stop rail and use if elected,H.O.V. lane's or toll bridge's or Brt which is a modified bus,i wouldnt think anyone would and they would use rail is even though it maybe costly,it would have no trafficgridlock and we could get to point a-b and we could get their quicker and my vote for rail will be yes.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

No surprise that this breaking story about the newly released rail study shows the project cost has already risen by over $1 billion.

The estimated costs for Honolulu's planned elevated rail have climbed to between $4.28 billion and $5.34 billion in today's dollars depending on the route, according to a new study released this morning.
                    Those costs, which include financing charges, were not included in an executive summary of the report released by the city on Thursday. Lower project cost figures released by the city Thursday excluded finance costs.
                    (...)
                    A combined Salt Lake and Honolulu International Airport route is expected to cost $5.34 billion. The inflation-adjusted costs of the two routes are now $5.28 billion and $6.48 billion, respectively.
                    No wonder they were trying to hide this by not releasing the study until after the election.
                    The Federal Government authorized the EIS release of the statement on Wednesday. The City released an executive summary () on Thursday. Today is the first time the entire document has been released to the public.
                    Allegedly, it can be viewed at http://www.honolulutransit.org.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

First printout:

RAIL: Dept. of Transportation Services Transit
                      Yes 37,571 53%
                      No 33,287 47%

Looks like rail might be a "go" after all.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        No surprise that this breaking story about the newly released rail study shows the project cost has already risen by over $1 billion.
                        No wonder they were trying to hide this by not releasing the study until after the election.
                        Many news stories, especially on AM radio, have been exposing the wild cost of the rail. Those who listen already had a hint.
                        But, perhaps those voting for the rail knew the costs, but decided that they'd not let $$ stand in the way, regardless of the cost vs benefit.??
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                          First printout:
                          RAIL: Dept. of Transportation Services Transit
                          Yes 37,571 53%
                          No 33,287 47%
                          Looks like rail might be a "go" after all.
                          Second printout just out and it's narrowed to Yes 52% and No 48%.
                          Hard to determine which precints have been counted and which haven't, as that will clearly tell us a lot.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Looks like "rail" won. I have an odd feeling that the anti-rail camp won't take it like the proverbial "man," however, and will still come up with ridiculous ways to attempt to blockade it. I hope I'm wrong.

Long story short: Welcome to H-3 all over again.

BTW the "ugly concrete columns" dog&pony show the other day was a comedy. If they're concerned about blight, talk to the joke architects that have been destroying Honolulu with tacky, uninspired design for the last 10-15 years. Kakaako is a visual ghetto.

That gawdy build-on-the-cheap-but-charge-millions tinted glass crap makes me sick.

But I digress...

Comment

The H1, H2 and H3 freeway systems with its tunnels have cost us at least as much as the rail system is projected to cost.

Yet who has noticed all the dollars spent? Anyone raise an issue about it? I recall the H3 protests being focused mostly on protecting Moanalua Valley and not about cost.

It was said the H3 viaducts on the Kaneohe side were going to be this massive visual blight. But look at it now. If you're standing on a lanai at Pohai Nani where you have a full view of the Koolaus, you'll have to look a little carefully to see H3.

And for all the noise made about H3, I haven't heard a single person ever say they weren't going to use it because it was an expensive, bad idea. In fact, if given the option of using it or driving through some inconvenient route, you can bet they'd go right through it without comment.

So the anti-rail people need to give it up and become part of the solution. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and gripe. It takes fortitude to admit the majority want this option and that it needs to be built.

Comment

If rail WERE a solution to some problem, I might consider backing it. If rail were the BEST solution to some problem, I would certainly back it. Since it fails on both points, I cannot support it.

If rail was projected to cost $250 million (as H-3 was), I'd say 'chump change, go ahead.' On the other hand, if we knew H-3 was going to cost Oahu residents over a billion dollars and it was going to be funded by an increase in the local general excise tax, I'm certain we would have heard complaints about cost, loud and long - but it wasn't, so we didn't. Question - how much of the cost of H-3 was borne by local taxes?

Rail IS projected to cost more than 4 times the actual cost of H-3 (Who knows how high the final total for rail will be?), with at least 80% coming from local taxpayers via the most regressive tax available. The cost issue is relevant to rail to a degree way beyond what it was for H-3. So, drawing a comparison between complaints over cost is not meaningful.

As for the aesthetics of rail (visual, aural, cultural, energy saving, less polluting, etc.), I'm not swayed by either side of the arguments because they don't compare similar transportation options. Driving a car isn't comparable to riding rail, but riding a bus is comparable to riding rail. If we compare riding the bus to riding rail and we add in all the associated costs/benefits of each (the bus can use existing vehicular roadways, flexibly alter routes and stops, benefit from future advances in propulsion, etc.), I'm confident the bus wins along every foot of Oahu. Enhanced bus service also wins at creating permanent local employment opportunities on a cost/benefit basis.

Surmising that rail opponents should 'give it up' AND become 'part of the solution' is comparable to saying the U.S. should 'give it up' in Iraq, Afghanistan and all other foreign nations and become 'part of the solution' by not messing in foreign affairs (or scientists and educators should 'give it up' and allow creationism or 'intelligent design' to be taught as alternatives to evolution). Supporting rail (or isolationism or 'intelligent design') is NOT becoming 'part of the solution'. Rather, it's a distraction (at best), unrelated to any solution.

If rail supporters REALLY wanted to support a solution, they would have mounted a campaign to increase bus usage and enhance HOV lanes. It provides an immediate and direct solution to the traffic congestion problem, rather than a 'solution' that MIGHT be useful more than 10 years from now (and only assuming drivers switch to rail in percentages never seen before in the U.S.).
                                Last edited by salmoned; November 5, 2008, 10:45 AM.
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X