Another reason to eat locally grown food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another reason to eat locally grown food

If you want to rebuttal someone for what they said in a post that's fine, but to use the reason of "bloating (or increasing) one's post count" as the justification for entering into a thread doesn't make any sense.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    As for the concept of giving posts from the Islands more value than those from elsewhere - well, until Admin says "HT is for Island residents only," that bird don't fly.

Oh, I forgot - I'm from Seattle (and I'm not even from Hawai`i originally), so I don't count.
    How comfortable would you feel if people outside of Seattle suggest to you that you should buy brand X instead of brand Y? Or you should always carry 2 umbrellas on your person and keep a third one in our car. Carry two more umbrellas if you originally hail from the east of the Rockies, otherwise one would do. You can minus one umbrella if you spent time in Alviso, CA, but you need to keep 2 more in the trunk if you travelled on the 101, I-40 or the 580 highways?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      If you want to rebuttal someone for what they said in a post that's fine, but to use the reason of "bloating (or increasing) one's post count" as the justification for entering into a thread doesn't make any sense.

How comfortable would you feel if people outside of Seattle suggest to you that you should buy brand X instead of brand Y? Or you should always carry 2 umbrellas on your person and keep a third one in our car. Carry two more umbrellas if you originally hail from the east of the Rockies, otherwise one would do. You can minus one umbrella if you spent time in Alviso, CA, but you need to keep 2 more in the trunk if you travelled on the 101, I-40 or the 580 highways?
      If you thought about it, you would either take it to heart or ignore it completely, not get so upset that you have to flame someone. Knowledge is a very powerful tool to those who choose to use it.

BTW: Helen, I DO carry 2 umbrellas in my car And why is giving people information considered "bloating" one's thread count, when frivolous comments and flames aren't considered the same?
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You can minus one umbrella if you spent time in Alviso, CA, but you need to keep 2 more in the trunk if you travelled on the 101, I-40 or the 580 highways?
        Alviso? You don't need umbrellas there but a raft would be useful, that whole town is below sea level and is so tucked away and different, it feels like you've stepped into Mexico just by crossing over the 237.

Comment

I'm patiently waiting foa my LOCAL GROWN WATERCRESS dat I going add to my Chinese Roast Pork dat I wen buy from Chinatown. But my loving PK still neba bring it home. I'm starving. So I going open one can of sardines and eat it with poi dat was made from local grown taro.

Do you tink the sardines is SAFE for eating?

Ainokea!!! I going eat um anyway!!

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; July 20, 2007, 02:23 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Bottom line. Hawai'i, more than on CONUS, relies on imported food (like 90% of it). You can stick your fingers in your ears and go "nananana". But if you actually read some of the stuff I've been posting, it will give you some information you need to know if you want to be prudent about the choices you make at the supermarket. Caveat emptor. I'm not forcing you to believe anything I say; if you don't like it, put me on ignore.
            Of course we do, the bulk of the stuff that Hawaii consumes is imported from some where. And from time to time something bad happens, but sooner or later the problem will get fixed and things will get back to normal.

Comment

Re: Post count

Wow. Having a job kept me from all the excitement.

But I'm here now.

Bottom line. Hawai'i, more than on CONUS, relies on imported food (like 90% of it). You can stick your fingers in your ears and go "nananana". But if you actually read some of the stuff I've been posting, it will give you some information you need to know if you want to be prudent about the choices you make at the supermarket. Caveat emptor. I'm not forcing you to believe anything I say; if you don't like it, put me on ignore.
              Bottom line, all your posts do is serve to stir up fear and freak people out unecessarily.

And I'm not going to put you on ignore. I'm going to call you on your lies.

As if others don't do it too? Just put me on ignore, Lika, or do you just like to see yourself in the role of schoolteacher? You're not an administrator of HT and you should only speak for yourself. I have not broken any rules on this board, just providing information for anybody who wants it.
              I'm not breaking any rules by calling you on your crap. And I don't plan on stopping, either.

Just wondering...why does anyone care anything about post counts? Do you get a prize for it, or money, or recognition in the HT Hall of Keyboard-Wearing-Out-Ness? Does anyone really follow those little numbers? Why should anyone care who posts how much?
              Because it interferes with other users' enjoyment of Hawaii Threads. When I come to HT, I'm looking for stimulating conversation, without excessive bloat from pointless and off-topic posts.

Not like you would understand, because you tend to do it as well.

Seems like a rather petty topic, and I wouldn't care if that information went away (like the reputation system did, and I'm glad to see it gone.) The number of times someone adds to a thread has no bearing on the content (or perceived quality of said content) of their posts.
              I disagree. The number of times someone adds to a thread ABSOLUTELY has bearing on the "perceived quality" of the content.

I don't want to click a thread and see 10 Chicken Little posts from Miulang. It's a waste of time, and I've discovered on numerous occasions that she simply DOESN'T KNOW WHAT SHE'S TALKING ABOUT.

As for what Miulang (or anyone, for that matter) contributes, the decision to call it lecturing or informing or sharing or complaining or whining or teaching rests with your own individual interpretation - and it doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else's perpsective.
              Never said it did. I speak for myself, and you sure ain't going to stop me from voicing my opinion.

As for the concept of giving posts from the Islands more value than those from elsewhere - well, until Admin says "HT is for Island residents only," that bird don't fly.
              Hawaii Threads isn't solely for Hawaii residents, but it sure as hell is about HAWAII. If you want to start posting about how "we" should do things differently here because that's how it works "back in the States," well, then we're going to have a problem.

Oh, I forgot - I'm from Seattle (and I'm not even from Hawai`i originally), so I don't count. Except for the number of my posts, I guess - better catch up to Tutusue.
              And it's these type of asinine comments that remind me to stay the course. For every wanna-be Hawaii resident on here, there should be two or three ACTUAL residents to provide the right perspective.

And as long as you and PJ insist on stalking me and chastising me, then I consider us even. Quit stalking and perhaps you might not be so fearful. If you chose to interpret the stuff I post as being fear mongering, then I suggest you look at the yourself at the mirror and ask yourself if you are a good representative of what Hawai'i is supposed to stand for...tolerance and ALOHA. You might also want to consider the fact that I have never, ever said anything negative about YOU. Do you want me to start now?
              Stalking you? Please.

There's a function on HT that allows you to see the latest posts. That's what I check. If you happen to be in one of those threads spewing bullcrap, then I'll jump in to call you on it.

I can look in the mirror, no problem. Hawaii Threads is a VERY SMALL part of my life, and I don't need to prove to you or anyone else on here that I'm doing my part to make Hawaii better for my family and future generations.

Oh, and Miulang, you HAVE said negative things about me in the past. That's why I won't tolerate your BS now.

Comment

Of course we do, the bulk of the stuff that Hawaii consumes is imported from some where. And from time to time something bad happens, but sooner or later the problem will get fixed and things will get back to normal.
                If you want to take your chances knowing that the government is not doing much to keep you safe (lots of news stories all over the place about that, along with the ongoing Congressional hearings), that's fine. But since you have to eat something, wouldn't you rather try to make sure it's the purest and freshest quality stuff, though? We all tend to believe things eventually will fix themselves, until we're the ones who get sick or who know someone who gets sick from tainted food, and then we rant and rale and demand to know why things are the way they are.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

But since you have to eat something, wouldn't you rather try to make sure it's the purest and freshest quality stuff, though? We all tend to believe things eventually will fix themselves, until we're the ones who get sick or who know someone who gets sick from tainted food, and then we rant and rale and demand to know why things are the way they are.
                  I agree in trying to make sure it's purest and safest but since you've already pointed out 90% of goods get imported in Hawaii, just exactly how much can one control or do?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    I agree in trying to make sure it's purest and safest but since you've already pointed out 90% of goods get imported in Hawaii, just exactly how much can one control or do?
                    According to one of the stories I cited, all chicken comes from the US (none is imported) so chicken should be reasonably safe (taking the usual precautions against food-borne bacteria like salmonella). Beef is safe as long as it's cuts of beef; hamburger could come from somewhere else (16% of hamburger meat is imported from outside the US). I always just buy top round steak and chop it up myself in the food processor at the time I need it if I want hamburger or ground beef (this also tends to limit your exposure to e.coli, which tends to grow rather quickly in ground beef because of all the surfaces; it's harder for bacteria to grow on slabs of beef).

For fish? Because most fish does have to have a country of origin listed, I only buy wild caught stuff and I try not to buy frozen or previously frozen (definitely not the stuff like farmed Atlantic salmon). Now that I know what happens with farmed shrimp, I will look for American caught shrimp instead of going to the Chinese supermarket and buying the frozen, thawed out shrimp (almost all shrimp in this country is sold frozen or thawed out, unless you can find locally grown ones, like the ones from Kahuku), most of which is coming out of shrimp farms in China or Thailand.

As much as possible, I try to stay away from canned, processed food unless the label says it is grown and processed in the US. Other than that, just buying seasonal and locally grown stuff is the safest, although even that's not safe sometimes (e.g., the salmonella and e.coli on fresh spinach from California a few months ago). Most of the major supermarket chains are pretty good about labelling countries of origin of the fruits and veggies too, which is a big help, so you can decide if you want to eat those Chilean peaches or Mexican tomatoes. And once you guys get your Whole Foods Market, everything has country of origin labels in that store.

All cheese should be safe (again, taking the usual precautions against bacterial contamination) as are chicken eggs (all domestically produced, even though you guys might get them from the Mainland, but then I believe those are irradiated or treated somehow) and fresh milk (no guarantees with the powdered stuff, though). Baked bread is for the most part safe since the wheat is produced in the US. Depends on what additives are added, so reading the bread label and opting for those with the fewest ingredients is probably prudent.

I'm just trying to stay away from pre-packaged stuff and preparing my most of my food from scratch because even though the label might say "Made in America" you never can tell where some of the ingredients (especially some of the spices, etc.) might come from. Some of the beloved Chinese preserved veggies and spices I now would not use or trust, given all the news that's been coming out of China about the growing and manufacturing conditions of their food products.

Forget about bottled water; unless it's imported stuff (like Evian or Perrier or Fuji), it more than likely came out of a municipal water supply. The tap water in Hawai'i is very tasty and costs way less, plus you're not using those plastic bottles so you're saving a little bit of petroleum.

It really is a bummer that we have to take matters into our own hands when it comes to our food; it used to be bad enough that we read the labels for things like transfat and calories and sodium; now we gotta worry about where it's all coming from too!

The Health Dept. up here just passed a couple of ordinances that will cause big changes for restaurants and fast food places: Transfats in meals are being banned as of next year, and all restaurant chains with 10 or more stores have to include nutrition information for all their menu items. Like you guys, I resent that the government thinks we can't decide for ourselves what's good or bad for us, but if these rules help keep a few more people from dying of heart disease, then I guess it's what they have to do to protect us from ourselves.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      The problem is the incessant negativity of her posts. The endless "little boy who cried wolf", glass-is-half-full, everything-can-kill-you, none-of-you-people-are-bright-enough-to-read-much-less-understand-the-news stuffs.
                      The post count numbers merely show how damned often it happens.
                      Thanks, LN, but I think many of us have our pet topics that we like to jump in on regularly. You yourself have been accused of overdoing it in picking on the Honolulu Weekly - I don't happen to think you do, but I can see how someone else might read it that way.

If a particular poster annoys me with their posting style, whether it be one time or eight thousand times, I am grateful that HT has the "ignore" function (I wish other boards did so.) Put someone on it, and the annoyance is gone - poof. And that's where I have some control.

But if I keep engaging them in back-and-forth pettiness, then I am equally annoying. "Two to tango" and all that...

Comment

Kind of a convoluted analogy, but I think I see where you are going. The answer is: I don't care. I don't lose sleep over it, I don't get my panties in a bunch over it, I don't get high blood pressure over it.

And if it's on HT, I can "ignore" them, and I never need know about them again. So easy to resolve.

Comment

The answer is: I don't care.
                          Good for you. Glad it's working out.

However, there are others that don't appreciate being told what to do. Especially when it's somebody from thousands of miles away spewing Chicken Little BS from her high horse.

It's tiresome. And if you'd rather click ignore and hide from it, fine.

I'd rather deal with the crap head-on.

Comment

Thanks, LN, but I think many of us have our pet topics that we like to jump in on regularly. You yourself have been accused of overdoing it in picking on the Honolulu Weekly - I don't happen to think you do, but I can see how someone else might read it that way.
                            Nah, the Weakly is just over-sensitive. I'm proudly an equal opportunity pit bull and I've probably posted just as many shots at the Advertiser and the Star-Bulletin and the various broadcast media as I have at the Weakly. (And hey, don't forget Chris Haire's "Media Watch" column in the Weakly where he blasted other media in town! Oh. Wait. That column got cancelled.) I just call 'em like I see 'em. Some folks may not like reading it, but they haven't proven me to be wrong, just outspoken.
                            If media types are too thin-skinned and whine about a media critic, they need to change careers.
                            (Which reminds me, what's Tiny T. doing these days, anyway? No more Advertiser page, no more FM show. Heh. )
                            When I read something that sets off my Bullsh*t Meter (or when someone attacks or even just messes with people who can't defend themselves) I'll continue my Quixotic quest of advocacy and fairness.
                            Anyone who doesn't like my posts is welcome to use the Ignore button.
                            I won't.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Just wondering...why does anyone care anything about post counts?[...]and I wouldn't care if that information went away (like the reputation system did, and I'm glad to see it gone.)[...]Except for the number of my posts, I guess - better catch up to Tutusue. Sheesh.
                              During my almost 2 years on HT I've seen several references to bloating post counts. While I understand the reference, I don't understand the reason. Are there really people who post with the goal of increasing their count in mind? People who look at their number as a source of satisfaction? I, too, would be happy to see the numbers disappear. Personally, I don't like my number! Makes me look like I have nothing better to do with my time when, in reality, I fire 'em off!!!

I love HT's quote feature. It helps me to keep my post count down a bit.

And, for me, the "ignore" feature rocks!

All of the above is my reason to eat locally grown food!

Comment

tutusue - if you would flash back to the end of 2006, when a certain person left this board (and another one too), one of the problems that occurred with that person was the # of his posts, # of his new threads and well, just his general nature. I watched as the "inflation" happened on the other board - in just a couple of months, he had caught up to & passed just about everyone - including the moderators & owner of that board! It had this weird kind of fascination to it.

and since I'm sure he still "lurks" around these boards - he is probably dying right now to respond but...........
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X