Obama Administration Takes Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama Administration Takes Shape

Leo, I'm curious about who your preferred candidates were. I though Bill Richardson was a great choice. Experience-wise, McCain was a no brainer, having been groomed his whole life for the job. But the shadow of Bush made rational decision making by voters nearly impossible.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      McCain was a no brainer,
      Yes, Yes, Yes. Tim I finally agree with you on something. McCain was in fact a "no brainer" when he selected Para Sahlin as his running mate. Stupid is as stupid does.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Leo, I'm curious about who your preferred candidates were. I though Bill Richardson was a great choice.
        Stated them a long time ago, in a thread far, far away --- but no need to make you go hunting. My earliest preferences were Edwards and Richardson, which is a little surprising, considering how much I rail against "politics as usual." Obama was clearly pandering to a farther-left perspective than either of them (or Clinton), but I did not believe that he would really represent it, if elected, and I still don't see it happening (even though I reside in a still much farther-left mindset). I thought either E. or R. were more "electable" as Democrats, but I didn't mind being proved wrong at the final outcome. McCain might have garnered my support, had he remained an independent thinker - but once he caved in to the neo-con party line in order to get the GOP nod, he lost my respect and any possibility of my vote. And don't even mention Palin.

Comment

BO deffinitely needs to cinch it back up. His vetting seems to be much less than initially tauted, with way too many personel failings over minor matters that explode, and much of the vetting looks to be from BO himself. Daschle was a terrible choice for anything and it was obvious payback.

There have been enuf positives in the first 2 weeks to keep the dogs off, but I too expect/ed better from this president.

BTW, the shadow of Bush, McCain's greased slide to the right, and the fact of Palin, secured the rational decision vote this time, dispite that there are still 50 million anxiously waiting to take Obama down in a few years.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

John Edwards was the best choice as far back as the Kerry nomination. Dems missed the boat on that one totally in 2004.

McCain screwed up so bad on the Palin thing, it cost him the election.

Unfortunately, the modern Democratic Party has been overrun by the far left, with the NY Times carrying the flag, and George Soros financing the effort.

President Obama needs to STOP pandering to them to get his presidency on the right track. No pun intended.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Unfortunately, the modern Democratic Party has been overrun by the far left, with the NY Times carrying the flag, and George Soros financing the effort.
              Only in MY dreams, Tim. Speaking from my (limited) viewpoint, I would suggest the opposite - that the Democratic Party has moved too far away from its traditional leftist base, has left behind its socially-responsible principles and thus lost support from the majority of Americans with similar views. The Centrist Democrats, who believe in winning elections at any cost, rather than winning for the right reasons, are well-represented by the Clinton faction; which is why he was a failure as a President (in my eyes) - whenever the Democrats try to play as make-believe Republicans, they fail. No one will succeed when they try to make everybody happy - candidates should be true to their principles, and rise or fall based on their strengths or weaknesses. This has worked very well for Republican candidates (Reagan and the Bushes being the most obvious examples) - you knew where they stood, and they won the majority of the popular vote on those stands (well...except for Bush Junior in 2000, but you know what I mean).

Comment

John Edwards was the best choice as far back as the Kerry nomination. Dems missed the boat on that one totally in 2004.
                You think? I think it's scary for a leader of the free world who tells bald-faced lies to his supporters and has fathered a child out of wedlock.

McCain screwed up so bad on the Palin thing, it cost him the election.
                Tell us something we didn't already know.

Unfortunately, the modern Democratic Party has been overrun by the far left, with the NY Times carrying the flag, and George Soros financing the effort. President Obama needs to STOP pandering to them to get his presidency on the right track.
                The Prez is doing just that. He's at odds with Speaker Pelosi and the House Democrats who loaded up the stimulus bill with pork like money for condoms and Hollywood movie producers. If Obama's folks are smart, they will rename the stimulus bill a "jobs bill" and emphasize to the public how the spending creates employment.

Obama
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  You think? I think it's scary for a leader of the free world who tells bald-faced lies to his supporters and has fathered a child out of wedlock.
                  I agree. Edwards was one of the bottom feeders, IMHO. Then again, from a political standpoint, he was basically a male Hillary Clinton minus the controversial celebrity spouse. And a lot of people supported her for some reason.

It really is too bad because John would have made a great Secretary of Health & Human Services in lieu of Tom Daschle. Health care was Edwards’ issue. What is going on with Johnny and Rielle Hunter these days, anyway? Click here if you need a refresher.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    It really is too bad because John would have made a great Secretary of Health & Human Services in lieu of Tom Daschle..
                    I think Dr. Howard Dean, MD would make an interesting choice for Health & Human Services.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      I think Dr. Howard Dean, MD would make an interesting choice for Health & Human Services.
                      Y'know, Dean's absence from being named to any administrative post is one of the bigger surprises I've seen from the Obama presidency so far. With all the work that Dean did stumping for Obama's campaign as the chair of the DNC and with his background/qualifications, it is one of those things that makes you scratch your head and think that something may be amiss. There has been talk that there is some bad blood between Dean and Obama's chief-of-staff, Rahm Emanuel.

Now that Daschle is out of the picture, it would seem that Howard Dean would emerge as the most logical replacement. Hopefully, he's already got all his taxes paid up.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Now that Daschle is out of the picture, it would seem that Howard Dean would emerge as the most logical replacement. Hopefully, he's already got all his taxes paid up.
                        Despite the cynic in me, I would like to believe that there is at least some truth to the official Obama position that Daschle was chosen based purely on his qualifications. Namely his extensive knowledge on the health care plan Obama wants to implement, and his unique ability to sell that plan to various members of Congress, given his vast network of relationships forged on the Hill, and on both sides of the aisle.

Dean has none of that. He has a lot of grass roots support among voters, as well as being owed a debt of gratitude from Hillary and Barack. But what does the former governor of Vermont have in terms of leverage with a bunch of Washington elite (particularly Republicans)? This guy is an outsider, and he’s not even in office. If Obama chooses him, it will be pure political payback, old-school style. Sadly, I think that’s mostly the way BO is rolling.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

But what does the former governor of Vermont have in terms of leverage with a bunch of Washington elite (particularly Republicans)?
                          Integrity should be more important than leverage. Leverage is built on communication skills, honesty, and knowledge, something that is all too lacking among the Washington elite.

Comment

Despite the cynic in me, I would like to believe that there is at least some truth to the official Obama position that Daschle was chosen based purely on his qualifications. Namely his extensive knowledge on the health care plan Obama wants to implement, and his unique ability to sell that plan to various members of Congress, given his vast network of relationships forged on the Hill, and on both sides of the aisle. Dean has none of that. He has a lot of grass roots support among voters, as well as being owed a debt of gratitude from Hillary and Barack. But what does the former governor of Vermont have in terms of leverage with a bunch of Washington elite (particularly Republicans)? This guy is an outsider, and he’s not even in office.
                            Not even in office. Well I got news for you then. Your boy Daschle has also been out of office too. He lost his US Senate seat in 2004. Uh-huh!

You are right about Tom Daschle having close ties and good working relationships with many of the senators. Problem is, Daschle also has close ties and financially lucrative relationships with some companies in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries.

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...,4970462.story

Though not a registered lobbyist, the South Dakota Democrat over the last two years earned more than $2.1 million as a "special policy advisor" at Alston & Bird, a law firm with more than 50 lobbying clients in the healthcare industry.

According to financial disclosure forms filed with the Office of Government Ethics, Daschle also took in $153,200 in 2008 for giving speeches to healthcare companies and industry groups such as GE Healthcare, a leading manufacturer of medical devices.

A decade ago, Daschle's wife did some work for the healthcare industry as well. In 1999 and 2000, Linda Daschle was among a group of lobbyists at Baker Donelson Bearman & Caldwell who represented the drug maker Schering-Plough Corp., which paid the law firm $470,000 over the two years, according to federal lobbying reports.

None of this is illegal. But while you criticize Howard Dean for being an "outsider," one could certainly turn around and argue that Daschle is too much of an insider, having uncomfortably close ties with both the establishment in Washington DC and the healthcare industry. Whether its past votes in the Senate or monetary payouts/junkets that medical companies have lavished on the former senator and his wife, it is a nagging concern about whether a Secretary Daschle would have been able to make decisions for the HHS Dept. that were free of influence-peddling and repaying past favors.

Comment

Not even in office. Well I got news for you then. Your boy Daschle has also been out of office too. He lost his US Senate seat in 2004. Uh-huh!
                              Oh pleez. Daschle didn’t have to be in office because the former U.S. Senate majority leader installed his chief of staff Pete Rouse, a 30-year veteran on the Hill, as then-U.S. Senator Barack Obama’s chief. In a sense, Obama was the continuation of Daschle’s uninterrupted legacy.

while you criticize Howard Dean for being an "outsider," one could certainly turn around and argue that Daschle is too much of an insider
                              This is a complete mischaracterization of my post. I didn’t criticize Howard Dean for being an “outsider,” in fact, from an idealistic standpoint, it’s a good thing. I was merely pointing out, that on a practical basis, it’s a significant roadblock to him developing relationships with key politicians on the hill that Daschle would have access to on Day 1.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

[QUOTE=TuNnL;225115]Oh pleez. Daschle didn’t have to be in office because the former U.S. Senate majority leader installed his chief of staff Pete Rouse, a 30-year veteran on the Hill, as then-U.S. Senator Barack Obama’s chief. In a sense, Obama was the continuation of Daschle’s uninterrupted legacy. {/QUOTE]

If that's your final answer, you lose.

Daschle has been out of political office for 4 years. PERIOD. Nothing you fart out of your keyboard will ever change that.

This is a complete mischaracterization of my post. I didn’t criticize Howard Dean for being an “outsider,” in fact, from an idealistic standpoint, it’s a good thing. I was merely pointing out, that on a practical basis, it’s a significant roadblock to him developing relationships with key politicians on the hill that Daschle would have access to on Day 1.
                                Well, some sheep are happy with the same ole' politics as usual. The same ole' glandhanding. The good ole' boy network.

OTOH, I'd rather have someone who comes in with a cleaner slate, with no old political debts or favors to pay back. Even if it takes somewhat longer for this new secretary to get on track with his/her job.

Comment

Working...
                                X