Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best/Worst McDonald's

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    I asked Andrew Gomes at The Advertiser if the Hawaii Kai McDs would be getting a McCafe and he said it wasn't in the cards. However, with Aina Haina being the oldest, it's posible that it would show up there. I guess McDs decided it should get in on the $3 cup of joe, too. I did see that HIKMcDs is selling that cinnamon thing, so some menu items cross the cafe line.
    Gee whiz, ya leave the board for awhile (time constraints) and nobody reads ya anymore ...

I've written about McCafe twice (including what I believe to be a scoop about the concept arriving in Hawaii, thank you very much).

http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/29/business/engle.html

... and the same day as our former PBN colleague, Andrew:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/02/business/engle.html

... the second item at the link below reveals another tid-bit about Hawaii's Mickey D's patronage:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/04/business/engle.html
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
      Gee whiz, ya leave the board for awhile (time constraints) and nobody reads ya anymore ...

I've written about McCafe twice (including what I believe to be a scoop about the concept arriving in Hawaii, thank you very much).

http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/29/business/engle.html

... and the same day as our former PBN colleague, Andrew:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/02/business/engle.html

... the second item at the link below reveals another tid-bit about Hawaii's Mickey D's patronage:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/04/business/engle.html
      Sorry if you feel like I'm ignoring your stories, Erika. Actually, I had read the last one regarding the Filet-o-Fish. Because of your info I know now that Hawaii consumes more Spam, more FoF and wear more Crocs than any other state in the union.

Still don't see any indication that a McCafe will be in Hawaii Kai. I hope so.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Still don't see any indication that a McCafe will be in Hawaii Kai. I hope so.
        Why? Hawaii Kai already has enough well-established coffee boutiques that should keep your caffeinated blood boiling.

There's Common Groundz just a walk down past Long's (next to you know where who) in Hawaii Kai Shopping Center.

Then there's Foodland's The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Koko Marina Center. Just a hop-skip away on the corner (as usual) is those star guys.

Last but not least, there's Studio Cafe in Hawaii Kai Towne Center, in the center courtyard waterfront area.

I frequent none of these places as I'm not a coffee person, although I'd like to try Studio Cafe for breakfast some time.

If you ask me, McDonald's has lost their identity a long time ago. Bring back Ronald McDonald and improve their hamburgers and the Golden Arch will be golden once again.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oh Please! Like I can take my kids into any of those places and come out with just a cup of coffee. Uncommon Groundz is lucky it hasn't been sued by Sbucks for its logo...as Sbucks sues anyone who even THINKS about designing something similar to theirs. If I can go through a drive thru, then I can go through with my kids, we all remain strapped in and it's QUICKER than walking into any of the places you mention for a cup of ATTITUDE. Funny how these people who serve coffee act like they're all making $50K. Maybe I'm wrong, but the impression I get is that the more disdain you get with your coffee, the more grateful you're supposed to be.

Once again, I'm a spoiled Hawaii Kai housewife who just wants a mocha with her big mac to cancel out the cardio class I just attended.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

If I can go through a drive thru, then I can go through with my kids, we all remain strapped in and it's QUICKER than walking into any of the places you mention for a cup of ATTITUDE.>>>>>

Once again, I'm a spoiled Hawaii Kai housewife who just wants a mocha with her big mac to cancel out the cardio class I just attended.
            Be careful though. Don't spill that scorching-HOT cup-o-joe on your lap as you drive out.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Why? Hawaii Kai already has enough well-established coffee boutiques that should keep your caffeinated blood boiling.[...]
              Let's see...I don't drink coffee. I don't live in Hawaii Kai. I'm not familiar with the coffee places you mentioned. And, unlike Lavagal, I have no children (small or otherwise) living at home. IOW...I'm really not qualified to answer your question but why should that stop me from answering one question with a couple more!!!

Might PRICE be one answer? Would McD's price points differ significantly from trendier coffee boutiques?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Might PRICE be one answer? Would McD's price points differ significantly from trendier coffee boutiques?
                This ain't bad actually...

McCafe serves the specialty coffees that have spawned equally specialty verbiage, just for the ordering of same.

A small, plain ol' cuppa joe, with no adornment, called an "Americano," costs $1.50. A small cappuccino sells for $2.20, and a small hazelnut caramel latte will set a caffeine-seeker back $2.40, just for some examples. There are also frappucino, macchiatos, chais and other gourmet specialty beverages.
                If convenience and price are factors, there's the coffee at Seven-Eleven, which recently opened in Niu Valley Shopping Center. Gotta love that French Vanilla and Mint creamers. Yum. I put at least 3 of 'em in mine.

Plus you can get gas too!
                Last edited by Pomai; March 10, 2007, 12:10 PM.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If you read their profile, the McCafe is said to be "upscale", hence PRICEY.[...]
                  To quote Erika from the 11/29/06 Star Bulletin article about the McCafe...
                  A small, plain ol' cuppa joe, with no adornment, called an "Americano," costs $1.50. A small cappuccino sells for $2.20, and a small hazelnut caramel latte will set a caffeine-seeker back $2.40, just for some examples.
                  I have no idea how these prices compare to Starbucks, etc. but McD's is all about fast food and frugal prices. Are the McCafes really in business to compete across the board with the boutiques or are their prices significantly lower? Get me beyond a senior diet coke at McD, JitB or Burger King and, well, I'm lost!

Comment

Hey Pomai! You significantly edited your post #52 while I was writing my post #53!

Comment

hmmm. the dregs in the coffee plots thicken!

Pomai: Do you drive a small redish pickup truck?
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

hmmm. the dregs in the coffee plots thicken!

Pomai: Do you drive a small redish pickup truck?
                        No. Why?
                        What's with this small redish pickup?

I drive a mid-sized luxury sedan, plus I walk alot.

Yeah Tutu, I read somewhere in there that it was upscale, but I had to go back and re-read it, hence the edit. Those prices are reasonable, but keep in mind that they're for the small sizes.

I think I'll go on a Hawaii Kai coffee establishment photo hunt today.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

No. Why?
                          What's with this small redish pickup?

I drive a mid-sized luxury sedan, plus I walk alot.

Yeah Tutu, I read somewhere in there that it was upscale, but I had to go back and re-read it, hence the edit. Those prices are reasonable, but keep in mind that they're for the small sizes.

I think I'll go on a Hawaii Kai coffee establishment photo hunt today.
                          Because, based on previous exchanges between us on various threads, I think you work out here in Hawaii Kai, but I don't think you live out here and I see this red truck come out here with a certain establishment's bumper sticker on it and I say to myself, "Is that Pomai?" so now I'll have to look at all the lexuses and mercedeses and jagses and bimmers and etc out here and say to myself, "Is that Pomai?" but now I doubt you have a bumper sticker.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Looks like the Keeaumoku McD's is the next to close down and undergo renovations for the McCafe (?) concept.

They're handing out coupons with every order announcing a June 28 closing date, to re-open sometime this Winter.

If you want some buy one get one free Quarter Pounder coupons, go to Keeaumoku McDs before they run out.

Comment

I wish the Discovery Bay McD would turn into a McCafe...for the tuxedo brownies!!! Yummm. But, alas, Starbucks is but 10' away. And McDs is walk in only so no drive thru convenience which might otherwise get some of Starbucks customers.

Comment

The McDonald's of Keeaumoku is now open.

Comment

Working...
                                X