Fukushima I nuclear accidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fukushima I nuclear accidents

I may be overreacting but to me, the Fukushima situation is really the only news story in the world worth paying attention to. Ordinarily starting a war in Libya would command my attention but with plutonium appearing in the ground at Fukushima, with reactors still not under control, with radioactive water, and God only knows what else, paying attention to Libya or to terrorism or even to the economy is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I don't have a clue what a reasonable solution would be. Maybe like the Russians at Chernobyl, just bury the things under mountains of concrete and boron. Tokyo Electric seems to have blown off warnings from geologists about the potential for big earthquakes and tsunamis, they admit to having built the plant in an area too susceptible to tsunamis. Oh well, who ever could have foreseen a 9.0 earthquake right offshore. Again I may be overreacting but I fear what this disaster could mean for the human race.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
      Maybe like the Russians at Chernobyl, just bury the things under mountains of concrete and boron.

Oh well, who ever could have foreseen a 9.0 earthquake right offshore.
      I've said that for 2 weeks, the thing has been in various stages of out of control from the beginning.

At least one seashore village took the old folks tales to heart and did what they knew to do when the quake hit, RUN, 90% survived certain death.

This will cripple Japan beyond what they suffered in the first half of the 20th century unless a historic miracle of sensible innovation occurs, many are doomed as it is.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Crisis does not appear to be abating yet. Plant Manager is in the hospital, supposedly with hypertension. Betcha it's radiation sickness in reality.

Plutonium, Cesium, Iodine, leaking into the ocean, land, water, food, systems.
        4 of 6 reactors to be shut down eventually due to seawater usage for cooling. Basically ruined the facilities. They say 18k dead from the quake/tsunami. But in 5 years I bet that number becomes over 100k due to radiation.

Nuclear Power is such a bad idea. There are no valid, intellectual arguments to support nuclear energy, especially in the face of SO MANY useful, viable, cost effective alternatives.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

There is so much frustrating misinformation being spread about this. I have stopped paying attention to American news coverage because of all the inaccuracies they've made on this incident. It's not the end of the world. It's not Chernobyl. I won't deny the seriousness of the situation but I'm not going to play into the hysteria.

I'm going to Japan in June. I'm going to breathe the air and drink the water and eat the fish. And I'm going to be just fine. (Not to mention, I'll be 300 miles away from Tokyo, in Kobe, but try telling my family that *sigh* )
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            ...Nuclear Power is such a bad idea. There are no valid, intellectual arguments to support nuclear energy, especially in the face of SO MANY useful, viable, cost effective alternatives.
            I see it as no better and no worse than other options out there. How many people die annually from pollution related illnesses due to oil and coal? How many coal miners die every year? There are coal seam fires that have burned for decades, ie Centralia, PA.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              I see it as no better and no worse than other options out there.
              You must not have too many years of 'seeing' racked up yet. We've merely been lucky so far in toying with nuke roulette, and eventually the round will be chambered.

Comment

Coal, Oil, and Nukes.....Really Josh?

Are you 85 years old or something? My goodness gracious.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                  Oh well, who ever could have foreseen a 9.0 earthquake right offshore.
                  Not to minimize your comments, but all around the Pacific Ocean we have been dodging bullets for hundreds of years - hundreds!

Who expected that tidal wave in Indonesia? Geologists knew there was a major subduction zone there, and it's the subduction zones that make the biggest quakes.

Now, let's see, where is there another major subduction zone that has been too quiet for too long? My goodness! Right off the Northwest coast of the USA! There are legends among the NW coast Indians about the Thunderbird..... Some researchers have tied it to the massive quakes and subsequent tidal waves of past centuries, and figure it's just a matter of time until it comes again.

Check out these sites:
                  Cascadia
                  Earthquake 3

They talk of shaking ground, trees being torn out by their roots and rising waters.

Sound familiar?

Those of you up in the NW, don't get seashore property.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    Those of you up in the NW, don't get seashore property.
                    I hope the property I do have in Seattle doesn't become seashore property someday.

Comment

While I do not want to make light of the problems surrounding the nuclear accident in Japan, I do want to point out that the sky is not falling either. The primary radioactive particles that are making it all the way over to Hawaii and the mainland is Iodine - 131. This isotope has a half-life of about 8 days. That's days, not thousands of years! So, if 1,000,000 atoms are released, in just over 1 week only 500,000 will still be radioactive. in 2 weeks, 250,000 will be. 3 weeks, 125,000 and so on. What this means is the major hazards associated with iodine - 131 dissipates by half every week.

As to the dangers - The primary danger with iodine - 131 is from beta decay (the release of very energetic electrons) that can easily be stopped before penetrating the body. It is this part of the decay reaction that is associated with thyroid cancer. However, many of you have voluntarily put this very same radioactive isotope into your bodies. It is the primary isotope used in medical imaging. You know that stuff you have to drink before a test?????

I always start my intro lecture to nuclear reactions with a little thought game. There are 3 types of radiation - alpha, beta and gamma. Alpha radiation is an energetic helium nucleus, beta radiation is an energetic electron and gamma radiation is a high frequency (more energetic) "particle" of light. Now imagine you are given three radioactive cookies. One is emitting alpha radiation, one is emitting beta radiation and the third is emitting gamma radiation. Which one would you hold in your hand? Which one would you put in your pocket and which one would you eat?

The joke is, you would hold the alpha cookie in your hand - alpha particles are much too large to get through your skin. You would put the beta cookie in your pocket because the beta particles will be absorbed by the cloth of your clothes. And you would eat the gamma cookie because, frankly, nothing stops gamma rays so it doesn't really matter

Lesson on the trace amounts of plutonium will be the next lecture

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        Coal, Oil, and Nukes.....Really Josh?

Are you 85 years old or something? My goodness gracious.
                        As much as I'm sure you're thinking other alternatives such as solar, wind, geo, hydro, etc; you need to be realistic. Half of the US is powered by coal. Oil dominates our island state. So consider those points and the death toll of oil and coal. Nuclear is neither worse or better. Alternatives still have costs issues and a bigger issue of NIMBYs to deal with before they can really start to make significant headway into current energy portfolios. Just look at all the commotion over proposed wind farms on neighbor islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          You must not have too many years of 'seeing' racked up yet. We've merely been lucky so far in toying with nuke roulette, and eventually the round will be chambered.
                          This is amusing. I've got timkona suggesting I've got too many years. How many years has it been since Chernobyl and now Fukushima? This isn't to say nuclear can't be dangerous but start looking at the statistics of casualties related to other energy forms like coal and oil. It puts a lot into perspective. How many years and how many vessels have the US Navy been operating that's nuclear? How many accidents? What wasn't done with these older reactors is a design that emphasizes passive safety features.

Comment

Your arguments are on paper thin ice and cracking. The recent Gulf oil spill could have been catostrophic for the entire planet had it not been fixed, and the gulf is wasted from just one well. A comparable nuke mess and it's a world-wide sayonara baby! We might be watching the end of Japan as we've known it if they don't get a handle on this unfolding mess. And it's not legit to compare the US NAVY's highest grade nuke competence vs anybody else, they are in way different leagues.
                            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 31, 2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Ron, I don't get it - how many nuclear reactors and how much plutonium has the U.S. Navy lost and failed to recover? The answer is more than none, which speaks to their utter lack of competence in my book.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

That's a differing kind of in/competence. I'm not a fan of the USN, they've polluted this planet outrageously.

Comment

Working...
                                X