Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foods You Don't Like

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    For the holidays, you can have the eggnog and fruitcake.
    Must also add them Easter season marshmallow chick 'n bunny-shaped 'Peeps®' to that list. Bleck!

While we're on sweets, some also seriously dislike the "perfume-like" flavor of Choward's Violet "Mints" confectioner candy. Personally, I love the stuff!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

WB - guess I won't be inviting you to my annual Eggnog party

Pomai - ditto on the Peeps! Never had the violet mints but I would probably like them.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Violet candy is weird. It's like sucking on perfume.

Comment

Many candies on my "do not like" list come from the nostalgic category, including:

• SweeTarts (I dislike anything extremely tart)
          Candy Corn
          • Butterfinger Bar
          • Twizzler (although I love Red Vines!)
          • Black Licorice (or Black Licorice-flavored Jelly Bellies for that matter)
          • Dots
          • Jujyfruits (although I kinda' dig Jujubes!)
          • Mike & Ike
          • Nerds
          • Tootsie Roll

...ughhh, I practically got a toothache just writing that list.
          Last edited by Pomai; August 28, 2009, 08:37 AM. Reason: sp.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            While we're on sweets, some also seriously dislike the "perfume-like" flavor of Choward's Violet "Mints" confectioner candy. Personally, I love the stuff!
            Oh dear. Around these parts, anyone caught with Choward's Violet candies on their breath, is automatically suspected (whether it's warrented or not) that he/she has been imbibing on alcoholic beverages and has a desire to mask the tell-tale signs of doing so, if they indeed have been drinking. Very similar to the effect when one consumes the licorice-flavoured Sen-Sen breath mints.

Then there are those, of course, who enjoy violet candies for what they are: a violet-flavoured confection. They seem to be particularly enjoyed in Britain, where a violet-flavoured confection known as "Parma Violets" is available. I've had them and they are just basically just violet-flavoured Smarties. I'm not a fan of them.

Swizzles Matlow's Parma Violets

Comment

Candy- that's a good one!

-Skiddles
              -Jelly Beans
              -Runts
              -Any Nerds that aren't red or purple
              -Dots
              -Twizzlers
              -Mike Ikes
              -Licorice (Red or Black)
              -Peanut M&Ms
              -Lollipops or suckers (I do like red or brown Tootsi-pops though)
              -Those gross hard lumps of taffy wrapped in orange and black that the cheap houses give out on Halloween (first thing to trade!)
              -Hubba-Bubba or Bubble Yum
              -Any of the sticky gel, powdered, or hard candy that is marketed to kids under 10, usually in some nifty container, always in alarming colors, that you know is going to still be stuck to their insides 20 years later.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                Candy- that's a good one!
                -Peanut M&Ms
                OK, deal then. I'll trade you my plain M&Ms for your peanuts.

-Any of the sticky gel, powdered, or hard candy that is marketed to kids under 10, usually in some nifty container, always in alarming colors, that you know is going to still be stuck to their insides 20 years later.
                Uggh. I get a toothache just LOOKING at that stuff littering the candy aisle in the stores. Horrors!

Originally posted by surfingfarmboy
                Oh dear. Around these parts, anyone caught with Choward's Violet candies on their breath, is automatically suspected (whether it's warrented or not) that he/she has been imbibing on alcoholic beverages and has a desire to mask the tell-tale signs of doing so, if they indeed have been drinking. Very similar to the effect when one consumes the licorice-flavoured Sen-Sen breath mints.
                I really don't understand how Violets are assimilated with alcohol consumption. Besides, why are they even called "mints"? There's no menthol in it.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I really don't understand how Violets are assimilated with alcohol consumption.
                  I can't conjure up any logical answer myself for the mostly unwarrented association of Choward's Violet Mints with the consumption of alcoholic beverages. But that's just the way it is (at least here), unfair as it might be to this confection. Perhaps it's due to their relative strength; Violets are a fairly intensely flavored candy with great breath-masking powder, in comparison with other breath mints. Add to this the fact that many liquor stores sell them at their check-out counters, often with no other confections available. I guess this begs a question whose answer will be predicated by the opinion of who's being asked: Are Violets intended as a confection to be enjoyed as a confection, or are they primarily a breath mint, to be consumed one lozenge at a time?

Something I find interesting about Choward's Mints is that even though I live on the East Coast during summer, I never see their other flavors for sale here, despite the fact that they're made (I believe) in New York. I never knew there was a lemon-flavored variety until I saw them for sale at a Pricebusters in Hawaii. I've never seen the spearmint or peppermint varities for sale anywhere.

Comment

Chinese Parsley. Gross.

When I eat oxtail, I always order NO GREENS. KK Thanks.

To me, chinese parsley is like taking a sip of my wifes perfume.

Comment

• Re: Foods You Don't Like

Originally posted by asuhoru View Post
                      Chinese Parsley. Gross. To me, chinese parsley is like taking a sip of my wifes perfume.
                      Than I suppose you don't like Choward's Violets either. lol

The reason I used to despise Chinese Parsley as kid was that I thought it smelled like them green stink bugs. ***Makes barfing sound***

Here's a bowl of home-made Oxtail Soup LOADED with Cilantro and Sumida Farms' watercress...yummmmm...

Oxtail Soup garnished Chinese Parsley and Sumida Farms' Watercress, with grated Ginger and Shoyu dipping sauce

and Here's Lup Cheong and Rice with Chinese Ginger Pesto sauce....

Steamed Lup Cheong and Rice (comfort food at its best!), with Chinese Ginger Pesto Sauce

This Chinese ginger pesto sauce is similar to the one used for Chinese Cold Ginger Chicken, which is one of my favorites. It's easy to make, simply mixing finely chopped and minced Chinese Parsley, Green Onions, Pine Nuts (or any nuts you like), fresh Ginger and Salt. Adjust the amounts of each ingredient listed above to your personal taste. Goes great over most meats, and especially good over steamed chicken and fish. Awesome stuff.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

OK, deal then. I'll trade you my plain M&Ms for your peanuts.
                        Deal!

Ham. Just can't eat it anymore.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

• Q - What does the word scone mean?

A - BAD DONUT

While we're on the subject of donuts, what is, or was the big deal a few years back when Crisy Creme was opening stores in Hawaii? Everybody was all aflutter about this supposed incredibly great new donut coming to the islands.
                          I've yet to see any evidence than these donuts are merely some of the most ordinary, bordering on bland donuts ever made.
                          Compared to the Winchell's Donuts I grew up with, even the plain cake donut they served was infinitely better than the overly vaunted Crispy Creme, especially if they aren't eaten very fresh.
                          You could let any Winchell's donut sit for day's and it was still great.

Maybe it was just that Hawaii hadn't seen a REAL donut in a long time.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: Foods You Don't Like - Bitter Melon

Here's another fruit many may find offensive in flavor: the Bitter Melon, a.k.a. Goya (as in Okinawan Goya Chanpuru), a.k.a. Ampalaya (as would be used in Filipino Pinakbet)...

Bitter Melon, a.k.a. Goya, a.k.a. Ampalaya

What must be noted are the incredible medicinal benefits Bitter Melon is reputedly known for, especially in treating diabetes and digestive problems to cancer provention. Native Okinawans statistically have the longest lifespan in the world, and surely their diet, which includes Goya, contributes to that.

I for one, LOVE Goya. Mo' bittah, da' bettah'!

I had bittermellon raw for the first time last Sunday at the bazaar at the Thai Buddhist Temple of Hawaii. Have to say I was not a fan at all. It was extremely bitter w/o any other redeeming flavors that I could discern (as opposed to some beers, chocolates, etc).

Also forgot to mention that I don't like any sweets at all which I suppose is pretty odd. Chocolates, candies, cakes, cookies, ice cream...don't care for any of them
                            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

• Re: Foods You Don't Like - Bitter Melon

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                              Also forgot to mention that I don't like any sweets at all which I suppose is pretty odd. Chocolates, candies, cakes, cookies, ice cream...don't care for any of them
                              What planet are you from?

Comment

Natto. Tastes and smells like Mastik. Could probably be used as mastik.

Some people love it, I don't.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X