Princess Ka'iulani film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Princess Ka'iulani film

It will be a scandal if the actress isn't half Scots.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      In a streetfight, who would win? A Hawaiian or a Samoan?
      The one with his friends along.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Those Hawaiians that had a problem with the Rock playing king Kamehameha had issues not just because he was a non-hawaiian, but because he was Samoan.

Cool. Racism. Cool.

Racism is inversely connected to one's overall cognitive ability.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

This is only to be expected. Many Japanese had issues with a chinese actress playing a Geisha, while many Americans may not have known the difference.
          I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Comment

Originally posted by 'i'iwipolena View Post
            This is only to be expected. Many Japanese had issues with a chinese actress playing a Geisha, while many Americans may not have known the difference.
            Including the Asian-Americans?
            Burl Burlingame
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              In a streetfight, who would win? A Hawaiian or a Samoan?
              One Samoan versus how many Hawaiians? 10 Hawaiians? They might have a chance then.

Lets see...
              notable Samoan fighters
              -David Tua (boxer)-Olympic bronze medalist and Former #1 ranked heavy weight contender and current top 10 ranked heavyweight in the world.
              -Rey Sefo(kickboxer)-famous K-1 superstar. He has beaten all the best kickerboxers in the world but unfortuanatly never won a grand prix.
              -Mark Hunt(Kickboxer and now MMA)-K-1 superstar. He won the K-1 WORLD GP tournament and is now an MMA star beating some of the best in world. Including Wanderlei Silva and Cro-cop.
              -MightyMo-(Kickboxer)K-1 star, said to have the heaviest hands in all of Kickboxing.
              -The great Samoan warriors. Tuna and Fata, who in the ancient days, lead the expulsion of the Tongans out of Samoa. And the greatest EVER, Tupua Lealofi Tamesese III, who during colonial rule, lead the Mau movement(sovereignty movement) and died in a peaceful protest. His contributions lead to Samoa gaining its independence.
              Last edited by PoiBoy; June 14, 2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                It will be a scandal if the actress isn't half Scots.
                It's different because she was a Hawaiian princess and the movie is about Hawaiian history.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                  It's different because she was a Hawaiian princess and the movie is about Hawaiian history.
                  Hmmm, Google "Kaiulani" and see what the Number One hit is.

For some reason, I'm reminded of the time one of my daughters was in public elementary school, and Lei Day was approaching and the kids were all preparing their various ethnic displays, and the teacher — meaning to be kind, I assume — explained to her, "You're a haole, so you're nothing. So we'll make you an honorary Portuguese!"
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

If she was a Princess of Scotland then it would be different.

For some reason, I'm reminded of the time one of my daughters was in public elementary school, and Lei Day was approaching and the kids were all preparing their various ethnic displays, and the teacher — meaning to be kind, I assume — explained to her, "You're a haole, so you're nothing. So we'll make you an honorary Portuguese!"
                    Well that teacher is an ass. Your daughter could have came as is and that would be a representation of her ethnicity.

Comment

Hmmm, Google "Kaiulani" and see what the Number One hit is.
                      Damned Scottishpersons are googlebombing (((our))) princess!

please help me pick my chin off of the floor. That pisses me off to read it.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                        One Samoan versus how many Hawaiians? 10 Hawaiians? They might have a chance then.
                        heh, but we know who the bu is; whether he calls her ma or babe, both the moke and the sole fear the wahine.

pax

Comment

it's a humbling experience to get the muli kicked by the women.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                            Is Tia actually part-Hawaiian? So confusing. Woman was listed as Spanish-Chinese-Filipino then all the sudden she was Hawaiian-Spanish-Chinese-Filipino and now she's listed on somethings with the Hawaiian and others without the Hawaiian.

She isn't one of those kama`aina who left the islands and suddenly became native Hawaiian, is she?

Another confusing one is Kelly Preston but I'm more sure she is part-Hawaiian than I am Tia.

Anyone know what's up with these two?
                            Althea Janairo sounds Filipino to me. Q'orianka may have Scot in her, her cousin is singer Jewel , so maybe
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

The rather roundabout point I was making was that Kaiulani Cleghorn was a child of two worlds, and distinctly aware of that.

Scots — and Scottish descendents as we are — have no love for forced colonization, either physical or cultural. The Highland Clearances still rankle and that was three centuries ago. This was how my folks wound up in the colonies.

The Scotland Act of 1998 is just a baby step toward a free and independent Scotland. Maybe in our lifetime.

Robert Louis Stevenson was a mentor to Kaiulani and instilled in her a pride of her Scots heritage. It is a part of her story.

As for the dumbass elementary school teacher, she was trying to be helpful, but like many, she made the assumption that haoles have no ethnic heritage. It is treated as a blank spot to be ignored.

The punchline, though -- the other kids elected my kid Lei Day Queen!
                              Last edited by buzz1941; June 14, 2007, 07:08 PM.
                              Burl Burlingame
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

The punchline, though -- the other kids elected my kid Lei Day Queen!
                                I can't remember who said it, but I like it: "Success is the best revenge."

Comment

Working...
                                X