• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Obama says families are off limits

McCain had no problem insulting Chelsea Clinton 10 years ago

Comment

Obama says that families should be off limits, which he has been consistent with throughout the campaign.

What I find hard to stomach, though, are the Republicans suddenly finding religion now that people are poking holes through the less than pristine image of the Palin family.

Cindy McCain certainly had no problems taking a potshot at Michelle Obama when it came to patriotism.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Ouch. That "joke" was rude, crude and socially unacceptable. Had I been a McCain supporter prior to reading that remark I certainly wouldn't have been after reading it. Making a comment like that while trying to package it as a joke is very telling of a person's character...POW, notwithstanding.

I wish candidates' children were off-limits but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Due to it's breadth and scope the dirty side of the internet will continue to unveil ugliness, be it truth or fiction. Pandora's box?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Obama says that families should be off limits, which he has been consistent with throughout the campaign.
          Did he mean just his family, or everyone (including Sarah Palin's)?
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I wish candidates' children were off-limits but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Due to it's breadth and scope the dirty side of the internet will continue to unveil ugliness, be it truth or fiction. Pandora's box?
            Yep, hope has left the building.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Obama vetting process; background check

McCain vetting process; background check

McCain Hires GOP Operative Who Helped Smear Him in South Carolina in 2000

same operative reported to have smeared McCain's daughter in 2000
              Last edited by Vanguard; September 2, 2008, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Obama, Biden descended from Irish cobblers: researcher

"In the case of both Biden and Obama's family, what's interesting is that the gentlemen in the family left in 1849 and then their families followed in 1850," Smolenyak Smolenyak told RTE public radio.

Comment

“Uppity, you said?” he was asked.

“Yeah, uppity,” Westmoreland replied.

Palin raises $8 million — for Obama

Comment

Sen. Obama pays a visit to enemy territory Bill O'Reilly - first part transcript here.

Comment

Obama made a truce with Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes recently, O'Reilly is spreading that interview out over the next several days.

Aj

Comment

Irrefutable proof that McCain is suffering form the early stages of dementia (senility) of which Ahlzeimers is one of the forms.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

John McCain - The Reformed Maverick

You've all been Barack Roll'ed!
                          Last edited by Vanguard; September 6, 2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

MoveOn.Org has created a Sarah Palin "Press Cowardice" clock that will tick off the time that McCain's running mate has been hiding from reporters since her candidacy was announced. 8+ days now and counting.

http://pol.moveon.org/palinclocks.html

The Nation's Ari Melber had this to say on his blog.

http://www.thenation.com/directory/bios/Ari_Berman

She talks tough about reporters, but can't face them; she talks up government ethics, but won't answer an investigation under oath; she raves about her own pit-bull image on stage, but betrays a cowardice under actual pressure. In some ways, she is living out the very caricature that she drew of Obama last week -- all talk, no action -- coupled with the smug attitude of her predecessor, the sarcastic swagger and faux-populism of George W. Bush.

Tomorrow, while the other 3 candidates make themselves available for the network news shows (Obama on This Week w/George Stephanopoulos, McCain on Face The Nation, and Biden on Meet The Press), Palin is notably absent. Now, out of fairness to her, it should be pointed out that Palin's son, Track, is being sent to Iraq on Sept. 11. So AFAIAC, it would be understandable for her to take a pass from granting "real" interviews (not Us magazine type "puff pieces") from now until her son leaves. But after that, the chorus from the media demanding no-holds-barred access will only grow louder and louder. If she continues to run and hide from reporters, one suspects that her self-proclaimed "pit-bull with lipstick" boasts that Palin uses on her stump speech will soon be mocked by the press.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

has anyone here heard the ridiculous rumor that obama is now considering dumping biden for clinton because of mccain's palin choice?

a dear friend of ours who happens to be republican, asked my opinion on this, "as a clinton supporter." i all but laughed in his face. best that i can google, the only people saying this include mr. blowhard oxycontin addict and his lemmings. (which, *sigh* would mean that my friend is turning into a lemming.)

in any case, my understanding from either salon or slate is that by choosing palin, mccain has convinced more democrats who might have voted mccain to stick to their roots. this includes hillary supporters like me, despite the many appeals made by palin, mccain, and leiberman et al. directly to us during the RNCC. any hillary supporter who votes mccain at this point is, as gloria steinem says, amputating her legs because someone stole her shoes. pfft. anti-choice wrapped in a vagina is still anti-choice.

at the same time, as a feminist, i am irked at how much focus there is on palin's appearance, style, choice of dress, yaddayaddayadda. even cnn has a special segment just on this subject. jeez louise, it's only the flip side of the comments made about hillary's grating voice, how she is like every man's ex-wife, and how hillary only got as far as she did because she married bill.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

John McCain to vote for Obama

Comment

Working...
                                X