This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

I did some distance driving last night in the countryside, the distant radio stations come in out there and the conservative talk show hosts from Denver to Las Vegas to Spokane were all agog, delirious with joy over Palin. Actually it reminds me of their rap when Thompson announced--it was a slam dunk, the Republicans had it won. The Christian conservatives got their bite at the apple with Bush, he was their choice, their man, and look how well that worked out. When I saw former Vice President Gore speak at the Democratic convention I couldn't even believe the contrast between the intelligent and articulate Gore and the stupid, bumbling Bush. But the Christian Conservatives got their man Bush in 2000 and now they want to install another of their "spirit filled" candidates. Lets be blunt, a vote for McCain is a vote for President Palin, he does not look at all well. Anyone who thinks the country should elect another ill prepared, unqualified lightweight to the executive position is totally nuts. Bush proves that competence and intelligence do matter, quite a bit, in any executive position. There is no way the case against pretty faces and manufactured charm could be any clearer. Yet Rove has said this election will not be about issues, but about personality. And so living in Alaska gives the hockey mom expertise in international relations. And along the way she ran her little town into a multi mllion dollar debt, and had a sports complex built...but no sewer system! Get your passports updated folks, you have no obligation to go down with this sinking ship, scuttled by the oil companies, the conservative-cast-the-first stone-hypocrite-churches, our corrupt court system, and our corrupt media.

Comment

Obama has to go on Bill O'Reilly's show. Leo, I know it grinds your cookie, but one thing is sure......The O'Reilly Factor is #1. For Obama to avoid an interview with him is political suicide.

I like the fact that Obama agrees with O'Reilly on so many points. Does that upset you also? Or would you concede that O'Reilly is not quite the reactionary, archconservative, neocon, warmonger that the left wishes to portray him as?
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Whatever you wish to call him, BO'R is a lying hypocritcal fool.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Obama has to go on Bill O'Reilly's show. Leo, I know it grinds your cookie, but one thing is sure......The O'Reilly Factor is #1. For Obama to avoid an interview with him is political suicide.
          Obama had the confidence and guts to appear on less than friendly turf in the O'Reilly Factor. And a couple of months ago, he faced up to Chris Wallace's questioning. And to think the neocons once had "when is Obama going to be interviewed by Fox News" clock running.

When is Palin going to appear on Keith Olbermann's show? Or Chris Matthews'? Heck, when is she going to give an honest-to-God, hard-hitting interview with anyone? McCain gives one answer to that question. His campaign manager gives another.

http://news.aol.com/elections/articl...523x1200525276

"Within the next few days and I'm strongly recommending that she come on 'Face the Nation' with Bob Schieffer," McCain said in an interview that was taped on Saturday.
          But McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, would not go that far.
          "She'll agree to an interview when we think it's time and when she feels comfortable doing it," David said on "Fox News Sunday."
          Davis said Palin has not been treated fairly by the media so far.
          "Why would we want to throw Sarah Palin into a cycle of piranhas called the news media that have nothing better to ask questions about than her personal life and her children?" he asked.
          "So until at which point in time we feel like the news media is going to treat her with some level of respect and deference, I think it would be foolhardy to put her out into that kind of environment," he said.

So what happened to McCain's theme of the Straight Talk Express? This looks more like the Double Talk Express.

It also begs the question,..... if McCain can't even rein in his own staff and take firm control over his campaign now, then who the heck is going to be the one really in charge and calling the shots in the White House if he is elected Prez? McCain, or some shadowy figures in the background? Haven't we already seen enough of this kind of political smoke-and-mirrors for the last 8 years with Bush-Rove-Cheney?

Sarah Barracuda afraid of the media piranhas? 9 days now, and counting.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            "She'll agree to an interview when we think it's time and when she feels comfortable doing it," David said on "Fox News Sunday."
            Davis said Palin has not been treated fairly by the media so far.
            "Why would we want to throw Sarah Palin into a cycle of piranhas called the news media........"
            To answer Rick Davis, I don't know, maybe because I thought she was a cross between a pit bull and a barracuda?
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              To answer Rick Davis, I don't know, maybe because I thought she was a cross between a pit bull and a barracuda?
              If Hilary Clinton used barracuda as a signature song. What body part of a man would she bite?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                So if something happened to McCain and Palin moved into the #1 spot and suddenly had to negotiate with "piranha" heads of terroristic countries... what then? We ask them nicely to wait until Rick Davis or someone feels she's ready?!?

If she can't handle reporters, she can't handle the VP job. Period.

"So until at which point in time we feel like the news media is going to treat her with some level of respect and deference, I think it would be foolhardy to put her out into that kind of environment," he said.
                "Respect and deference"? This ain't the Miss Alaska pageant, Mr. Davis... this is an attempt to RUN OUR COUNTRY AND DETERMINE OUR FATE FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS!
                Respect? She has to earn respect. She can't demand it.

Every day they refuse to let her face the media makes it more and more clear that they now realize they made the wrong choice. They're hiding her.
                TimKona said something earlier today predicting "McCain by 10%." I say McCain will only get 10%.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I watched the replay of the first part of Obama's interview with O'Reilly. I was very disappointed in some of Obama's responses with regard to the war in Iraq.

However, what really upset me was how rude O'Reilly was to Obama. He was constantly interrupting Obama and spinning Obama's answers. O'Reilly is not a journalist. He is a propagandist for the republican party. He deserves no respect.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I watched the replay of the first part of Obama's interview with O'Reilly. I was very disappointed in some of Obama's responses with regard to the war in Iraq.

However, what really upset me was how rude O'Reilly was to Obama. He was constantly interrupting Obama and spinning Obama's answers. O'Reilly is not a journalist. He is a propagandist for the republican party. He deserves no respect.
                    I saw it, too. I also fouind O'Reilly extremely obnoxious with his rudeness and constant interruptions. Generally speakihg, I can't stand O'Reilly. I wouldn't go so far to say he's not a journalist, though.
                    Greg

Comment

I just heard that Barack Obama will be on David Letterman's show this coming Wednesday night.
                      No word on if he'll be doing the Top Ten list.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                        I saw it, too. I also fouind O'Reilly extremely obnoxious with his rudeness and constant interruptions. Generally speakihg, I can't stand O'Reilly. I wouldn't go so far to say he's not a journalist, though.
                        I would. I tend to equate the term “journalist” with “reporter.” Bill O’Reilly is not a reporter. He’s a television commentator. The newspaper equivalent would be called an “editorial columnist.” Basically, the bottom line is, O’Reilly doesn’t go out into the field and gather information, and report facts based on critical analysis of all sides. He lets the real journalists do that.

IMHO, it’s more accurate to say O’Reilly was a journalist. Before 1989, he actually did real work. But then he became an anchor for Inside Edition, a television equivalent of the supermarket tabloids, and it was all downhill from there. At this point, I think we can agree he has decided that he wants to rep the right wing, and only the right wing, so by design he simply cannot function as a journalist, which by definition must be “fair, balanced, and objective.”

I will say he is a great t.v. commentator. He knows how to milk the ratings. I’ve seen him be reasonable when he wants to. But that is a rare occasion indeed.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                          best that i can google, the only people saying this include mr. blowhard oxycontin addict and his lemmings. (which, *sigh* would mean that my friend is turning into a lemming.)
                          As the bumper-sticker says: "Friends don't let friends vote Republican."
                          Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                          the conservative talk show hosts from Denver to Las Vegas to Spokane were all agog, delirious with joy over Palin. Actually it reminds me of their rap when Thompson announced--it was a slam dunk, the Republicans had it won. The Christian conservatives got their bite at the apple with Bush, he was their choice, their man, and look how well that worked out.
                          Just as the Democrats were too complacent in the 2004 election, perhaps the Republicans will be that way this time out. Then again, would you expect anything other than unquestioning support of their candidates?
                          I agree. In fact, I thought he had agreed to an interview many months ago, but put it off until now. (I could be completely off the mark on that, however, as I pay little-to-no attention to Fox News.)
                          I like the fact that Obama agrees with O'Reilly on so many points. Does that upset you also? Or would you concede that O'Reilly is not quite the reactionary, archconservative, neocon, warmonger that the left wishes to portray him as?
                          I would concede only that Sen. Obama knows how to play the political-centrist game extremely well.
                          However, what really upset me was how rude O'Reilly was to Obama. He was constantly interrupting Obama and spinning Obama's answers.
                          It's not just Sen. Obama. That's O'Reilly's "style," and it has paid off handsomely for him. He's welcome to become rich and successful with that interviewing technique, and I'm welcome to not watch.

Comment

Are you kidding? Explain exactly what was spinning?

That was a good real conversation. It wasn't a, let's throw him softballs, and just get his answers.

Both O'Reilly and Obama made some good points. it was a good real heated conversation.

It's sad to see so many blinded dems or reps. It's hyper-partisanship that ruins intelligent debate, which is most of what you have here in these threads (with a couple exceptions)

people are so afraid to agree with the "other" wing in a honest way. and all we hear is bashing, blah, blah, instead of constructive ideas.
                            website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                            blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                              Are you kidding? Explain exactly what was spinning?
                              Sorry, we must have been watching different interviews. Let me explain it.

Obama would answer a question and then O'Reilly would interupt and rephrase the incomplete answer to suit his needs. Obama remained patient and would say, "No, Bill, that's not what I said." O'Reilly did this several times and Obama would have to correct him each time.

To see what O'Reilly is really like when he thinks the camera isn't rolling, check this out!

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                                It's sad to see so many blinded dems or reps. It's hyper-partisanship that ruins intelligent debate, which is most of what you have here in these threads (with a couple exceptions)

people are so afraid to agree with the "other" wing in a honest way. and all we hear is bashing, blah, blah, instead of constructive ideas.
                                True enough. We blame the politicians, we blame the spin-doctors and handlers, we blame the Karl Roves and James Carvilles, we blame the media.

But we perpetuate the behavior all by ourselves. Those we blame do not reside in our tongues or our fingertips.

Comment

Working...
                                X