Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debito Arudo: A Naturalized White Japanese

Originally posted by na alii View Post
    My friend's son has dual citizenship as his wife is from Japan and she registered the son for Japanese citizenship. The son then must decide which citizenship to claim by his 22nd birthday. It's called Nijyuu Kokuseki.
    That is correct. I do want a American passport but want to keep the Japanese one. But to go to Japan, I must use American passport to exit and enter USA, so how can I without getting caught when I become American?

I still want to be American one day. I want to go to Hawaii I think. Where Koreans and Chinese and Japanese not hating each other and not prejudice like in Japan. The Zainichi Koreans and Chinese are discriminated still. I heard in USA, everyone is just American and respect in Hawaii.

My friend once was upset that Japanese Americans sometimes spoke very little Japanese, but I think fluent English makes up for it. I want real english.

Comment

Originally posted by ewatada View Post
      That is correct. I do want a American passport but want to keep the Japanese one. But to go to Japan, I must use American passport to exit and enter USA, so how can I without getting caught when I become American?

I still want to be American one day. I want to go to Hawaii I think. Where Koreans and Chinese and Japanese not hating each other and not prejudice like in Japan. The Zainichi Koreans and Chinese are discriminated still. I heard in USA, everyone is just American and respect in Hawaii.

My friend once was upset that Japanese Americans sometimes spoke very little Japanese, but I think fluent English makes up for it. I want real english.
      I myself is a Japanese American but we speak little or no Japanese because we are American citizens and our language is English. Most Japanese Americans are Nisei, Sansei, Yonsei and Gosei. I myself was fortunate enough to learn the Japanese language from my mother as she is originally from Hokkaido, Japan. Some of the Japanese I learned in high school and college. Unless one works in the tour industry like my sister at a hotel in Waikiki we don't speak Japanese. As far as this Debito Arudou goes it seems like he might have been granted a Japanese citizenship from being married to a Japanese citizen like how foreigners get married to U.S. citizens and then have a greencard granted to them. Maybe this message board can help you.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/que...y.html?1+17613
      Last edited by na alii; April 8, 2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ewatada View Post
        My Kendo class has Japanese, Korean, and Chinese people (i.e. people who spoke their mother languages as a first language) and everyone gets along beautifully. It's very refreshing to see when you have the modern history of Asia in mind.

Comment

My friend's son has dual citizenship as his wife is from Japan and she registered the son for Japanese citizenship. The son then must decide which citizenship to claim by his 22nd birthday. It's called Nijyuu Kokuseki.
          So does that mean the son can hold dual citizenships for the rest of this life? What about for those who are naturalized?

Comment

The son can't have both American and Japanese citizenships? I've been a dual national all my life (Japan not being either one of them), and neither country has asked me to renounce the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
              The son can't have both American and Japanese citizenships? I've been a dual national all my life (Japan not being either one of them), and neither country has asked me to renounce the other.
              I misread na alii's post earlier. Yep, the son can't have dual citizenships based on what the Japanese perspective dictates, not the US perspective. Here is an unofficial translation of the Japanese rules by the US Embassy in Japan.

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7118b.html

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                So does that mean the son can hold dual citizenships for the rest of this life? What about for those who are naturalized?
                As I posted earlier that Japan does allow dual citizenship up to age 22. By your 22nd birthday one must decide on which citizenship he/she will choose. It's called Nijyuu Kokuseki.

"Persons holding both foreign citizenship and Japanese citizenship (dual nationals) must, before reaching age 22 (or, if having acquired dual nationality after age 20, within two years of acquisition) choose a single nationality. "

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7118b.html

I myself plan to apply for a "A child born to a Japanese citizen visa" so I can stay longer than the 90 days tour visa. My mother is originally from Hokkaido, Japan so I can qualify for that visa. One day when I retire I can stay in Japan longer than the 90 day tour visa.
                Last edited by na alii; April 9, 2007, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X