Sailing-Hawaii connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sailing-Hawaii connection?

All those Polynesians arrived safely in San Francisco. Check it out at http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...8-05&dayid=618 and look at the photos of them sailing under the Golden Gate bridge.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      All those Polynesians arrived safely in San Francisco. Check it out at http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...8-05&dayid=618 and look at the photos of them sailing under the Golden Gate bridge.
      Malohe oe Tonga! The best navigators of them all! I would be proud if I discovered I had Polynesian blood in me.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

All those Polynesians arrived safely in San Francisco.
        Soooo cool yeah?!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          Okay we did it folks! Safe and sound from San Diego to Hilo.
          3 days of sea trials, then 4th day off across the ocean.
          We cast off at 6:40am 2/24.
          headed south along baja mexico, got walloped by a gale (35+ winds, 18-25' seas) for two days.
          into the edge of the high, sunshine, sunburned bum.
          sailed west, following seas and down wind

broke reaching pole(12 days to go) and self-steering(5 days to go)

2,776 nautical miles
          26 days, 15 hours at sea
          Tied on in hilo at 9:35pm 3/22

Hopefully will blog and post photos when I can!!!
          An incredible experience, glad I did it, now off the 'bucket list', will stick to day sails off Waikiki or Kaneohe from now on... HaHa!

[IMG] this was fun by Menehune Man, on Flickr[/IMG]
          As I mentioned before... Don and I met in '86, have been friends and with him trying to move here ever since, now he's arriving Oct. 5th!
          I've been caretaker for Kolohe and this morning completed a(nother) complete scrub down so she's all shiny. Will be sailing soon... yippee!

Kolohe by Menehune Man
          Last edited by Menehune Man; October 3, 2011, 03:54 PM. Reason: Correct grammar

Comment

Is he visiting or staying for good?
            And did you see the 36' powerboat that sank in its slip there in Keehi a few days ago?

Comment

Is he visiting or staying for good?
              And did you see the 36' powerboat that sank in its slip there in Keehi a few days ago?
              He's staying for good... at least as a 'home port'!
              Didn't know of that sinking? Was it at the State docks? Kolohe's at KMC.

Don't think I've shared this photo of shortly after Don and I met in 1986!
              He and Kevin had just sailed down from Vancouver Island and I worked at Keehi Marine Center while living aboard my Pearson 26' sailboat anchored out in Keehi Lagoon for free. Boy those were the days my friend! Veronica is an ex-girlfriend of mine. So here ya go! Hey Likanui... am I funny looking too?!

Kevin, Me, Veronica, & Don

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                "My starting point will be Lands End in Cabo about 400 miles south of where you turned out. I will have a bit different heading than you but will gradually close on your course. However, I will head straight for the Molokai Channel rather than Hilo. I will do about 175 miles a day if I have weather like you had. I figure about 16 to 18 days to cross."

Hey Matapule!
                Less than 4 months till you head this way, right?!

Getting Aloha stocked up with canned goods?
                Anything else you have to do to your vessel in preparation?

Mrs. Menehune and I are inviting you both over for an 'islander' dinner at our place after you're settled. Just thinking about your trip across and wishing you all the Bestest!
                Hey Matapule! How're you doin'?
                Already here, headed across the ocean or still getting ready?

Comment

Don sent me this photo of another sailing accident today!
                  Headed out from Ala Wai today and something went wrong.
                  They got blown west in front of Magic Island and on to the rocks.
                  Lost their mast. Believe no one hurt.

1-25-2012

Comment

I saw that on the 5pm news and it's now on the Star-Advertiser website.
                    It was the lady's boat and they didn't have any sails up so as soon as the engine died the waves pushed them onto the rocks. She had to go to the hospital and the guy had minor injuries.
                    This incident is exactly why we always tell people to either have thier sails up or have them ready to raise instantly.

Comment

http://vimeo.com/46703286
                      Her 2012 racing results include a 1st in class in this year's Singlehanded Transpac.
                      Video of Moore 24 "Hope for the Warriors" aka US 101 racing in the 2012 Singlehanded Transpac race. 101 struggled in the race but came from behind to take a class win. 101 is powered by Quantum Sails. Ronnie Simpson campaigned the boat this year, working with wounded-veteran non-profit Hope for the Warriors in an effort to raise money and awareness for teaching wounded veterans how to sail.

This video is real cool! Hope you enjoy!

Comment

http://hokulea.org/

Polynesian Voyaging Society's new voyaging canoe Hikianalia departed on Oct. 9, 2012, on her maiden voyage, from Aotearoa to Hawaiʻi. Hikianalia will sail alongside Hōkūle‘a as part of the Polynesian Voyaging Society’s 2013 Worldwide Voyage and will be a vital component in the WWV’s educational endeavors.

Hikianalia is a high-tech, eco-friendly double-hulled canoe constructed by master boat builders in Auckland, New Zealand. On the first leg, Hikianalia is sailing to Tahiti with the voyaging canoe Fa‘afaite. The sail is estimated to take about three weeks. After a crew change in Tahiti, Hikianalia will continue north to Hawai‘i and make landfall in Hilo. Two of our project teacher cohort members Chris Baird and Mark Ellis are serving as crew for different legs of the voyage.

Please feel free to keep track of the voyage progress via:
                        http://hokulea.org/category/hikianalia-aotearoa-hawaii/

This link will bring you to the updated crew blog where you can follow Hikianalia and hear from the crew about their daily experiences while voyaging.

Comment

May the wind blow nicely when you need it.

Thor Heyerdahl is watching from Valhalla.

Good Luck with this very cool voyage!

Comment

The Kamalii, a 1958 Rhodes 75' cruiser/racer that has history is back in Honolulu!
                            "Purchased by a New Zealand man, the Kamalii stops in the isles on its way home
                            By Susan Essoyan POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Nov 11, 2012

Built by a millionaire who spared no expense, the racing yacht Kamalii has weathered some rough moments as it crisscrossed the Pacific, but no trip was as wild as when pirates commandeered it at the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor and abandoned its crew far at sea.
                            That was in 1971, after the 75-foot ketch had completed the Transpacific Yacht Race from San Pedro, Calif., to Honolulu. On Saturday, the storied vessel returned to Honolulu from Newport Beach, Calif., for a stopover on its way to a new home in New Zealand."

Link to article about the incident in '71... http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7105,3441588

And a photo I took this morning at Kewalo small boat harbor.

Comment

Very nice photograph

Rigging up a vessel of that size is a task landlubbers never considered.

my mind keeps wandering back to "Waterworld" .

Comment

Nice photo, MM!
                                Anything by Rhodes is a wonderful design and unusually well built. This one was a racer/cruiser, but they were originally designed as motorsailers, with a second steering station inside that large doghouse.
                                That boat will keep varnishers busy!

Comment

Working...
                                X