Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    I'll admit I went into the Taste of New York many times but was always scared off by its prices. Of course it doesn't cost a thing to look and that is what I always did. The desserts were very tempting. I swear I saw commercials for them as recently as two weeks ago.

In Phoenix, 20 some years ago we had a "Taste of New York" chain of restaurants there and always wondered if they were linked somehow.

Aj
    "A Taste of New York." Well, hardly. No bagels with cream cheese and lox? No knishes? And the pastrami came from Chicago? Not necessarily a bad thing, that Chicago pastrami, but it's a "Taste of Chicago" not a "Taste of New York."

I must admit that after hearing about it I never bothered to go. Someone told me that the restaurant offered an enormous fat hot dog on the menu. That is NOT a NY hotdog. Think Sabrett, Boar's Head, Nathan's. No bigass fat hotdogs.

And travesty of travesties---they didn't make their own soups! Soups are a mainstay of NY restaurants. And so easy to make---that giant vat of REAL soup, whether it be clam chowder, mushroom barley, matzoh ball soup or whatever, is part of the character and charm of the real NY deli/restaurant. You classicly get your choice of soup or salad with a whole meal. And it is soup that is made on the premises. It really perplexes me---why would they NOT make their own soups?

They bought their soups from somewhere else. Kinda lame, IMHO. I have visions of containers of Safeway Signature Soups being dumped into their stockpots.

Okay. Now---ten dollars a slice for cheesecake? Come ON already. Sorry, but this peeves me. Even the Carnegie Deli in NY doesn't charge this high a price for their cheesecake.

Sorry for the rant. I'm also sorry that the restaurant failed but only because I hate to see anyone fail.

But really.....

Comment

• Re: R.I.P. Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon and The Cellar

Wow, talk about me being out of touch. Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon was a mandatory stop for my dad when he was growing up, he would take us there at least once a month (sometimes two). Anytime I came back home, I would make sure to pay a visit and order a mandatory Hamburger Steak plate lunch. Ono hamburger, ono gravy, great macaroni salad, right amount of rice.

This is a heartbreaker.

EDIT: I read another article and I guess I was confused. The lunch wagon is no more, but the Tsukenjo Lunch House is still there, correct? *phew*
      Last edited by johmbolaya; March 2, 2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

In my quest to look for a Space to open up a Restaurant, I found the following establishments will be closed in a few months:

1. Rada's Piroski on Fort Street Mall
        They will join their sister restaurant across the mall.

2. Lynn's Chinese Foods, Michaels Drive Inn and their Cocktail Lounge at Liliha Square.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          In my quest to look for a Space to open up a Restaurant, I found the following establishments will be closed in a few months:

1. Rada's Piroski on Fort Street Mall
          They will join their sister restaurant across the mall.

2. Lynn's Chinese Foods, Michaels Drive Inn and their Cocktail Lounge at Liliha Square.

Auntie Lynn

More fond memories of Lyn's and Michael's. When I was a kid, Daddy and I ate there while mom shopped at Times.

Here's hoping you'll soon move in, Auntie! It's a great location (and very convenient for me -- and Scriv too!) and I hope things work out for you!
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I was very dissapointed this weekend when I discovered a restaurant that I never had the chance to visit had closed down in it's few months of operation.

I had, via an internet search, discovered there was an Indian Curry and BBQ that had opened up at Maunakea Marketplace. this article was a few months old, but I was ecstatic. I went there on Friday and could not find it at all, so I called the number on the article, and some man tells me "we've moved to Fort Street mall next to McD's". so I walk there from Maunakea St and again could not find it. I called the # again and no answer. Tried several times. Frustrated i went to the office. Later I called that # and the guy answered and told me that he was not the restaurant and that he gets several calls asking about that Indian Curry place. So I guess he decided to have some fun and sent me on a wild goose chase for something that dind't exist.

I soooo wanted that Indian curry place at maunakea Marketplace to exist.
            n'importe

Comment

As you can see by the banner in front, Tropic Fish & Vegetable Center in Ward Farmer's Market will close for good, March 31, 2008.

They're already liquidating inventory in the store, and removing some of the merchandise fixtures.

All that remains of the "old school" tenants in Farmer's Market will be Haili Hawaiian Foods, who I've spoken to the owner just the other day, and she said they still have 2 years more on the contract before the place gets torn down for that new development project. When that happens, Haili's plans to continue doing business at a new location that they're in the process of searching for.

"Tropics" usually carries fresh specialty asian vegetables that often you can't even find at the neighboring Marukai Market. Watercress, Bak Choi, Luau leaves... even Togan (Winter Melon) could be found there. Most very close to Chinatown prices. Not to mention simple, yet so ono bentos and sandwiches prepared fresh every morning. Also really affordable. Mrs. Tanoue would often buy fresh catch from local fishermen and sell them at the store. Anykine stuff from Opelu and Menpachi to Monchong.

This pounds yet another nail in the coffin for Ward Farmer's Market.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I lived in Pearl City in the late 60's and remember both Scotty's and Bluebirds. My parents took us kids to both. I used to walk down with my school chums from Higlands in 1973-75 and we'd stop at Scotty's. The french fries weren't the fat crinkle ones, because I don't like those. The ones we had there were the thin style like McDonalds. We tossed a few to the birds while we waited for the city bus.

I ate Magoo's pizza a lot. I always ordered a small pepperoni for delivery. The Magoo's some of you are talking about at Puck's Alley - I seem to remember a Mama Mia's there. Last time I ate there was around 1994. Former local boxer Wildman Carrere sometimes sat at the bar there. Moose McGillicuddy's still at Puck's?

What's going on with all the leases rising? Are the Japanese foreigners buying all the property and jacking up the land? Sad if true. Waikiki has totally changed in attitude, they cater to Japanese tourists more than anyone and if I walk in a store I get the cold shoulder.

Comment

The Magoo's I remember was located in Waikiki. They delivered to the University area. Mama Mia was first located on the South King-McCully corner where Jack-in-the-Box now stands. A used-car lot, Surf Motors, was also situated adjacent to Mama Mia's.

Later on, Mama Mia's moved to Puck's Alley when Rich Miano's parents owned it.

East Side Grill occupies the space which was previously the legendary BLUE GOOSE (Crazy Shirts had designed a tee-shirt), BULLWINKLE'S, and MOOSE MCGILLICUDDY'S (changed from BULLWINKLE'S after a cease-and-desist order was filed by the creators of the BULLWINKLE cartoon character). I also seem to recall a RAIN TREE or RAIN COUNTRY CAFE there in the early-to-mid-80s.

Comment

Maple Garden near Stadium Park has been sold and will be closed at the end of March. I was told it will re-open sometime with the same name, but different owners and menu obviously.

Aj

Comment

MAPLE GARDEN, too? WOW! That's one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. They've always given me complimentary almond float for dessert.

I better go there tonight!

Comment

Maple Gardens...I remember that verryyy hot dish they served the table next to us. So spicy your eyes watered if you were downwind.

I remember Magoos Pizza when it was a trailer parked in the far corner of Times Supermarket in Waialae.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                          MAPLE GARDEN, too? WOW! That's one of my favorite Chinese restaurants.
                          I remember that was where I first tasted Peking Duck. That was during the days when you had to order it 24 hours (or more?) in advance.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          I remember Magoos Pizza when it was a trailer parked in the far corner of Times Supermarket in Waialae.
                          Iʻm pretty sure there is currently a Magooʻs Pizza trailer in the 76 service station next to Moiliili Library. When I first saw it (about one or two months ago), I thought it might be in for repairs, or serious renovation. But after seeing it there week after week, it seemed to me it might be open for business. However, Iʻve never seen anyone ordering from their open window, or any activities next to it. Does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            Iʻm pretty sure there is currently a Magooʻs Pizza trailer in the 76 service station next to Moiliili Library. When I first saw it (about one or two months ago), I thought it might be in for repairs, or serious renovation. But after seeing it there week after week, it seemed to me it might be open for business. However, Iʻve never seen anyone ordering from their open window, or any activities next to it. Does anyone know?
                            In addition to the Magoo's truck near Moiliili Library, Magoo's is also serving food at the location of Arnold's (http://www.arnoldswaikiki.com/). I know Analog plays acoustic there, though the website obviously hasn't been updated to reflect that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              As you can see by the banner in front, Tropic Fish & Vegetable Center in Ward Farmer's Market will close for good, March 31, 2008.
                              (
                              pomai, thanks for posting that note. i was going to but i see that you've already done it and with great pics, too!

i'll miss that place...
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I did go to MAPLE GARDEN last night. Ordered cold ginger chicken, Mongolian beef, and Maple Garden tofu along with rice and tea. Got the complimentary almond float.

Heard that the owner passed away, so his widow sold the business. I'll give the new owners a try when they re-open.

Comment

Working...
                                X