Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
    Yes, they have so many different locos I lost count
    And they all pretty much suck. It's sad that the establishment (Cafe 100)that boasts about being the originator of the Locomoco can't seem to make a good one. They use frozen patties that tastes like cardboard.

If they made their hamburger patties and added a little spice called Salt to their dishes maybe I'd go to Cafe 100 more often.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It's back!...

Snuck that shot. he he.

Ooey-gooey Sunny Side Up on top. The only way to have it.

Witness the Macaroni Salad "Special Sauce" layered on the rice. Absolutely brilliant.

You can order with full options now, as the sign indicates in small print: choice of white or brown rice, classic, vegetarian or no-bean chili and how you want your two eggs cooked. No option for the burger patty.

When it was first introduced it was $5.50. Now, in typical Zippy's inflated price fashion, it's $6.50. Still, this is ALOT of food. I could only eat half and I was full.

Decadent, but sooooooo good.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I just had a large bowl of Zippy's Vegetarian Chili with rice last night. It costs me $4.10 for that bowl but it was worthwhile because I didn't eat chili for over a year. It still tastes good.
        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
          Funny, Cafe 100 in Hilo has been making something like this for years, except they put lil' smokies in it.
          Wow! Cafe 100 is still around? Is it still owned by the same family, the Miyashiros (?)? Stayed in the same dorm as their daughter. Met here when I met my 1st wife cause all them Hilo girls kinda stuck together.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
            Wow! Cafe 100 is still around? Is it still owned by the same family, the Miyashiros (?)? Stayed in the same dorm as their daughter. Met here when I met my 1st wife cause all them Hilo girls kinda stuck together.
            Cafe 100 is still around and run by two of Richard Miyashiro's daughters. Yes, it's true that Hilo people tend to stick together.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              It's back!...

Snuck that shot. he he.

Ooey-gooey Sunny Side Up on top. The only way to have it.

Witness the Macaroni Salad "Special Sauce" layered on the rice. Absolutely brilliant.

You can order with full options now, as the sign indicates in small print: choice of white or brown rice, classic, vegetarian or no-bean chili and how you want your two eggs cooked. No option for the burger patty.

When it was first introduced it was $5.50. Now, in typical Zippy's inflated price fashion, it's $6.50. Still, this is ALOT of food. I could only eat half and I was full.

Decadent, but sooooooo good.
              Just got word yesterday from management at a nearby Zippy's location that the Chili Moco is officially PERMANENT and here to stay.

WOO HOO!

Now YOU can officially take out your heart defibrillator and statin pills.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Speaking of Zippys, which location has a drive-thru? I remember a cabbie telling me that only one has one and it was the only one he went to but I can't for the life of me remember where he said...

Comment

Holy smokes, Pomai! That is just......I have no words.
                  Me thinks a full on traditional English breakfast has less calories and cholesterol than a bowl of that moco. Guess I'm going to have to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                    Cafe 100 is still around and run by two of Richard Miyashiro's daughters. Yes, it's true that Hilo people tend to stick together.
                    Mahalos! Is one of them Gail? Her nickname was Pogo. (sorry OT)

Comment

Zippy's chili is now more "flatulence friendly".

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                        Zippy's chili is now more "flatulence friendly".
                        Ho, you should heah this family of 3 aftah eating da regulah chili. Brrt, brrrt, brt, brt, brrrrrrrrrraaaat! An das oni da baby girl. Azwai hawd gotta mek da TV loud. 2 girls against one guy, no can win. I complained to Mom and all she told me was that girls don't do that kind of thing. <sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          Mahalos! Is one of them Gail? Her nickname was Pogo. (sorry OT)

The one I know is Kay. We ran around with her gang back in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            And they all pretty much suck. It's sad that the establishment (Cafe 100) that boasts about being the originator of the Loco moco can't seem to make a good one.

Cafe 100 does not claim to be the originator of the Loco Moco. Loco Moco’s were actually invented by the Lincoln Wreckers Hilo baseball team who were named because they used to hang out at the Lincoln Grill.

My father-in-law, Henry Honda, was a member. They wanted something cheap and filling. The name ‘loco moco’ was chosen because it rhymed.

Naomi’s Fountain put it on their menu, but they were hit by the tsunami of 1960. Richard Miyashiro bought out Naomi's and inherited the Loco Moco.

He named his restaurant Café 100 for his 100th Batallion buddies who died in Italy. They've patented the Loco Moco, but only so no other could scoop it up and prohibit them from making it. They freely let others make and sell it under that name.

Bob Sigall

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              I finally got to try their Chili Moco plate. Well sort of.
                              The layers of the dish from bottom to top:
                              Plate (for take-out): 8" diameter x 1-1/2" depth black plastic (with clear plastic lid)
                              1st Layer: White Rice
                              2nd Layer: Mayo'-based "Secret Mac Salad Sauce"
                              3rd Layer: (1) Hamburger Patty
                              4th Layer: Zippy's Chili (classic only)
                              5th Layer: (2) Eggs

The most interesting component has to be the "Secret Mac Salad Sauce" (I made that name up), which is basically their Mac Salad without the Macaroni. It's shown as a close-up in the bottom-right photo. That may sound gross, but you know what? It really adds dimension and punches out the flavor of the nicely-grilled burger patty right above it. A standard Loco Moco doesn't employ this, so whoever thought of putting that in this dish is a plate lunch genius! lol
                              Originally posted by dick View Post
                              I just had one of those Chili Mocos for dinner. I agree the mystery sauce on the rice is a winner.
                              I have to admit that in the years since this thread originated, I've eaten more than my fair share of chili locos. When I was working on my Master's thesis a few years ago, I needed a safe place late at night and close to home to get some work done, and I could stretch that loco out to an hour or more if I was focused enough on my work.

But I had it again yesterday morning at Kahala Zippy's, and I have bad news. That layer of mac-salad mayo? It's gone. I did get a scoop of mac salad (and Zippy's has pretty good mac salad), so I was pleased at first. But when I noticed the layer of mayo was gone from the loco itself? Major disappointment!

It's still a good meal. It's just not heavenly anymore. Anyone else notice this?
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                                He named his restaurant Café 100 for his 100th Batallion buddies who died in Italy. They've patented the Loco Moco, but only so no other could scoop it up and prohibit them from making it. They freely let others make and sell it under that name.
                                Sorry; I meant to respond to this, too. I question the patent part of this claim. Can you put a patent on a combination of ingredients, particularly ingredients as commonly-wed as a hamburger patty, rice, and gravy? I'm extremely skeptical.

If you're saying they the name as a trademark, that might make more sense. 'Though I'd still be slightly skeptical, because that's just what I do.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X