Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Originally posted by Angelakeen View Post
    He is thrilled to hear about the positive support on this board! He is one of the kindest people I've ever met and worked with in the news biz. He has stocked up a lot of good karma and now it's coming back to him.
    So funny, I ran into him last week and asked him what was new. My jaw dropped when he said he was leaving! I swear that little cubbyhole looks like a “time-out” corner when you walk in the building. ♪ And the KHNL merry-goes round and round. ♫

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

She preferred to change it to Aloha... she doesn't like Ku'u which her Hawaiian teacher scolded not to use Ku or Ku'u when she was younger. That's a discussion I had with her a while back. She loathes Ku'u.
      Ah.

No worries Walt won't change his name. He is thrilled to hear about the positive support on this board! He is one of the kindest people I've ever met and worked with in the news biz. He has stocked up a lot of good karma and now it's coming back to him.
      I just hope mainland don't suck his good karma dry.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Walter never said two words to me when I knew him.

Guess he's nice to other folks.

Whatever, I wish him well.

Comment

He is thrilled to hear about the positive support on this board!
          Man, that guy thrills easily. Who are we and what does it matter whether we support him or not in this move?

Originally posted by Random View Post
          I just hope mainland don't suck his good karma dry.
          If this move is the career boost it's supposed to be, isn't his karma now in neutral? Is that how karma works? I'm being sincere here: If you build up good karma and then something great happens to you, does that positive karma come down an appropriate amount? I'm asking because I don't believe in karma, and am trying to get a better grip on the idea from people who do. If your good karma does go down a few notches when good stuff happens to you (like merits and demerits in high school, for example), and if you "hope the mainland doesn't suck his good karma dry," aren't you kinda hoping that either (a) Walter continues to put out more positive karma than he gets back or (b) nothing good happens to him so that his karma stays where it is?
          Last edited by scrivener; July 16, 2008, 06:58 PM.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Dunno.

All I know is that I knew the guy for a while and he hardly ever spoke to me.

Guess I wasn't on his "worthy to be spoken to" list.

I wish him well all the same.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Man, that guy thrills easily. Who are we and what does it matter whether we support him or not in this move?

If this move is the career boost it's supposed to be, isn't his karma now in neutral? Is that how karma works? I'm being sincere here: If you build up good karma and then something great happens to you, does that positive karma come down an appropriate amount? I'm asking because I don't believe in karma, and am trying to get a better grip on the idea from people who do. If your good karma does go down a few notches when good stuff happens to you (like merits and demerits in high school, for example), and if you "hope the mainland doesn't suck his good karma dry," aren't you kinda hoping that either (a) Walter continues to put out more positive karma than he gets back or (b) nothing good happens to him so that his karma stays where it is?

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post

====================================
              I had a similar experience

Comment

Having a tough day, Scriv? Seriously.
                [...]I'm asking because I don't believe in karma, and am trying to get a better grip on the idea from people who do.[...]
                I think you might be trying to intellectualize something that is too etherial to intellectualize. While I honor the fact that you don't believe in karma, I believe anyone who does believe has a different definition and different experiences. All that said, I wouldn't attempt to try to explain my belief to anyone. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post

When someone say two words to me. It's a verb, then a pronoun.
                  Thank You.

Comment

Ouch. Pretty harsh words. I hope you'll rescind those comments, Scriv.
                    I used to say that Kimo55 was the Curmudgeon of HT. Looks like the mantle is being passed.

In any event... thanks for filling us in, Angela, and best wishes to Walter in his venture!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Pretty harsh words. I hope you'll rescind those comments, Scriv. I used to say that Kimo55 was the Curmudgeon of HT. Looks like the mantle is being passed.
                      I didn't think that was harsh, seriously. I just can't imagine someone making a huge career move like this, moving from the 72nd largest television market to the 29th (or whatever it was), telling all his friends, family, and associates, making plans to move, and then being thrilled that five people he doesn't even know wish him well. Sure, it makes sense that such a thing would please him, especially if he is the sort to worry about what his viewers think, but as I wrote earlier, why would it thrill him to know that five people on some discussion board he doesn't participate on say thumbs-up?

Honestly, would it thrill you?

The fact that you and tutusue both responded this way makes me think I misread something, and I guess perhaps it's the word "thrilled." So if I came across as harsh or grouchy, I apologize for misunderstanding the post. However, if I read it correctly, and "thrilled" is what was meant, and I still come off as a grouch, then I apologize for THAT, but please do color me baffled. You guys work in media and I don't, so perhaps we are of different mindsets about what turns us on and off.

While I do apologize, I can't rescind. Or at least, not the whole thing. I said three things: (a) Walter thrills easily, (b) who are we?, and (c) what does it matter whether we support him or not?

I obviously take back (a) if I misunderstood "thrilled" to mean literally thrilled when it didn't.

I can't take back (b) because I still want to know. Who ARE we to cause someone making such a career move to be thrilled by our support?

I won't take back (c) because I still would like to know that, too. When someone makes a career decision like this, how important are the opinions of a handful of nameless, faceless people in the market you've already decided to leave? Sure, nobody wants to burn bridges, but I don't think he surveyed the masses before making his decision because what mattered most was how this decision was going to affect him and those who are close to him. Seriously, I'm a grouch because I don't think our support should matter to a guy who doesn't even know who we are?
                      Last edited by scrivener; July 16, 2008, 09:56 PM.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Who are we and what does it matter whether we support him or not in this move?
                        I just can't imagine someone ... being thrilled that five people he doesn't even know wish him well.
                        how important are the opinions of a handful of nameless, faceless people in the market you've already decided to leave?
                        Hey Mitch... first off, I’m not discounting anything you said. But you seem to be overgeneralizing HT as a bunch of people who don’t know Walter Makaula. Well, just in this thread, you learned Angela knows him. Pumpkinboy and DNR55 knew him at one time. And I will go on the record and say I know Walter personally. I wouldn’t doubt there are other HT’rs who have some sort of relationship with Walter who post here, but don’t necessarily comment about him. If I am misinterpreting your interpretation of the HT community, please correct me. But from where I’m standing you are being a wee bit presumptuous.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Between the time of Angela's original post and her report back to us from Walter, I count five people voicing support for this move: Likeke, Random, Kimo, tutusue, and cezanne. Yes, I know a lot of HTers are in the business, but as far as I can tell, only tutusue among these five is, and she hasn't indicated that she knows Walter (although it wouldn't surprise me if she did, of course). That's what I meant when I wrote the things you cite; clearly, there are more HTers than those five (many of whom, as you now mention, have since voiced support and also work in the field). I was only presuming that these five don't know Walter, not anyone else on HT. When Angela communicated to Walter the support of these five, hopefully she didn't imply that it was all of HT, 'cause THAT would be a wee bit presumptuous.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Maybe there were just 5 public comments, but it's possible -- maybe even probable -- that Angela got PM's and/or e-mail from that large contingent of HT lurkers who stay in the shadows, as we've seen in numerous other threads.
                            I'm just sayin'.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Between the time of Angela's original post and her report back to us from Walter, I count five people voicing support for this move: Likeke, Random, Kimo, tutusue, and cezanne. Yes, I know a lot of HTers are in the business, but as far as I can tell, only tutusue among these five is, and she hasn't indicated that she knows Walter (although it wouldn't surprise me if she did, of course). That's what I meant when I wrote the things you cite; clearly, there are more HTers than those five (many of whom, as you now mention, have since voiced support and also work in the field). I was only presuming that these five don't know Walter, not anyone else on HT. When Angela communicated to Walter the support of these five, hopefully she didn't imply that it was all of HT, 'cause THAT would be a wee bit presumptuous.
                              That's a pretty good number of praises for a small sample size in a short amount of time. Isn't that how they measure tv ratings from a small sample size and then multiple according to population? I personally got no love in my one year of postings.
                              This was Supposed to be the Summer of Walkoff Balk.
                              The Jerk Store Called. They Ran Out of Walkoff Balk.

Comment

I've met Walter once. However, we have a mutual friend...and any friend of mutual friend is a friend of mine!

Scriv...the support of Walter isn't about numbers. He's a local boy who's movin' on up and that's so worthy of kudos. There's a lot of talent in Hawaii who never seems to get a break. When someone does, it's time for celebration...even if it's just a few people on HT within some presupposed time frame. Why try to burst a balloon by posting negative comments? Sorry, but that exactly how I perceived your initial comment. It seemed completely pointless.

I remember when Maria Quiban made the move to the mainland. It was a big deal so worthy of excitement and celebration. Look what happened with Jasmine Trias and Camile Velasco on American Idol. And look what's happening now with Mark Kanemura on So You Think You Can Dance. It's a "keiki o ka aina" thingie! Hawaii has a propensity to strongly support it's own. I'm sorry you don't feel the same joy that others feel when a local makes good but, hey, you're entitled to your opinions. It just appeared that you felt a need to rain on Walter's parade. And, in life's big picture, why would you even be concerned about how Angela communicated HT's support to Walter?

BTW...I agree with Likanui that other HTers might've used PM to voice their support. There's a whole slew of lurkers here, both media related and non-media related, who never come out of hiding! <wave to lurkers!>

Comment

Working...
                                X