Earth Hour Blackout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Hour Blackout?

Anybody else do the Earth Hour Blackout thing between eight and nine PM last night? We did. Shut everything down and took the dog out for a walk.
    Enchanted Lake area of Kailua was pretty damn bright. I guess not too many joined in. It was kinda fun though----we finished up the hour with candles on the lanai.
    The event was worldwide:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4552348

Re: Earth Hour Blackout?

Naw, I was eliminating terrorists all night. I just copped a copy of "Rainbow 6: Vegas 2" for my 360. It's piffffffffff.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

We did it figuring it was a good way to talk to our girls about environmental issues. We, too, went for a walk, around our Hawaii Kai neighborhood. I was sorry to see that very few homes were dark. Oh well, maybe it will pick up momentum over the years.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The lights were out at my place.

I didn't figure TV is a non-essential appliance.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Everything was out at our place, other than the fridge and various L.E.D.s.

We cheated though... both of us were at work. HaHa!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I turned off everything that I could. Was in the middle of dubbing DVDs when my calendar gave me a 15 min. warning so wasn't gonna stop that 4 hour session in mid stream. Finding the bathroom was interesting! It's in the darkest corner of my unit. It didn't appear many condos in my Waikiki 'hood or within my view participated.

I haven't searched the web but are there any reports of significant energy dips during that hour?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              The lights were out at my place.

I didn't figure TV is a non-essential appliance.
              LOL! You and my father. He wanted to participate in Earth Hour but also figured that the tv was ok if he turned off everything else (well, except for the refrigerator and freezer).

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I haven't searched the web but are there any reports of significant energy dips during that hour?
                This report from Australia indicates not much change, if any, there. A couple of amusing notes about people who wanted to go watch the "black out" causing traffic jams. The comments are entertaining as well. We did not participate as I object to dictates based on what I consider a backward-looking agenda. Electricity is one of the great advances of the modern world. We should use it wisely and conserve in our everyday lives but creating a propaganda event to bring us all into line regarding global warming is fascistic, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                  Anybody else do the Earth Hour Blackout thing between eight and nine PM last night? We did. Shut everything down and took the dog out for a walk.
                  Enchanted Lake area of Kailua was pretty damn bright. I guess not too many joined in. It was kinda fun though----we finished up the hour with candles on the lanai.
                  The event was worldwide:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4552348

oops! i forgot about it. was on the computer trying to draw up some floor plans. after hours of doing so, i wasn't able to (or just didn't know how) to save the darn thing or print it and POOF! into cyberspace it went. i can only tell you that my tenant had no clue about it either. hallway light was on for HOURS along with all her other lights and tv.

while you were on your lanai enjoying a beautiful evening, did you happen to notice any egg-throwing st. louis football players hanging around? sorry, had to add that in.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I think more people were concerned about the Aloha Airlines issue.

I was at work at Home Depot when one of my co-workers told me about what was happening with Aloha. Then of course we shut down at 8pm and had our store meeting from 8 to 10pm, all the lights blazing with the training videos, pa system and...well we definately didn't participate.

I would think at 9pm when all the lights come back on, the surge would tax the nation's power grid to the point of spiking energy usage thus making the whole point of energy awareness a moot point.

And I would think that blackout period would have been a great time for copper thieves to do their thing when people expect the lights to go out on the streets of Honolulu.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I think more people were concerned about the Aloha Airlines issue.

I was at work at Home Depot when one of my co-workers told me about what was happening with Aloha. Then of course we shut down at 8pm and had our store meeting from 8 to 10pm, all the lights blazing with the training videos, pa system and...well we definately didn't participate.

I would think at 9pm when all the lights come back on, the surge would tax the nation's power grid to the point of spiking energy usage thus making the whole point of energy awareness a moot point.

And I would think that blackout period would have been a great time for copper thieves to do their thing when people expect the lights to go out on the streets of Honolulu.

I am sure that many people were concerned with other issues but many participated, worldwide, nonetheless. I don't think the crime rate increased significantly during the elective blackout. KGMB reported that the consumption of electrical power decreased by 11% during the period between eight and nine PM.

No reports of increased copper theft, AFAIK. The request for decreased consumption of power was in regard to non-essential use---obviously this would not include street lights.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                        We should use it wisely and conserve in our everyday lives but creating a propaganda event to bring us all into line regarding global warming is fascistic, imo.
                        An eco-friendly fascist state. Sounds promising.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          An eco-friendly fascist state. Sounds promising.
                          It does doesn't it? Al Gore called to tell me that he is available for the position of High Priest.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                            It does doesn't it? Al Gore called to tell me that he is available for the position of High Priest.
                            On his voip? Remember he invented the Internet That's about as good of an observation as Hillary dodging sniper rounds.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              Not all cities participating in the Earth Day Blackout dimmed their street lights. Obviously, that would present a safety hazard.

As for an Earth Day Blackout giving copper thieves a "golden" opportunity to do their dirty work,.... who's kidding who? It's been happening with the power on, anyway. Those thieves know how to cut off power to the lines they want to target.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X