Talk Radio~Can I Get it In Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk Radio~Can I Get it In Hawaii?

I'm a big fan of talk radio, I was wondering if I can tune in on Oahu, or will I need some type of sattelite radio? Thanks much

Re: Talk Radio~Can I Get it In Hawaii?

Talk radio stations on Oahu:

760 AM - KGU - Hawaii's Christian Talk
    830 AM - KHVH - Newsradio featuring Rick Hamada, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mike Buck, Coast to Coast AM, Kim Komando
    990 AM - KHBZ - Glenn Beck, Michael Savage, Dr. Laura, Jerry Doyle
    1080 AM - KWAI - Tom Leykis, others
    1180 AM - KORL - some talk shows sandwiched between ethnic programming
    1420 AM - KKEA - ESPN Sports radio, talk & sports
    1500 AM - KUMU - Air America programs

88.1 FM - KHPR - Some talk shows from NPR or BBC
    89.3 FM - KIPO - Some local talk shows
    92.3 FM - KSSK - Perry & Price talk more than play music (mornings) also simulcast on 590 AM

97.5 FM - KHNR - Fred Hemmings, Michael Medved, Dennis Praeger, Laura Ingram; simulcast 870 AM (may be moving to 880 AM)

Links to these stations: here
    Last edited by mel; October 4, 2006, 05:22 AM. Reason: fix typo
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thank you so very much for the comprehensive list! Love Coast to Coast, have been listening to it for years. I will write these down for future use.

Comment

Air America is still on the air. Bwahahahahahahahaha.

How much donations has it taken to keep that blather going? Or maybe their fantastic ratings are drawing advertisers in like flies to sugar. NOT !!

Al Franken.....what a maroon.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Air America is still on the air. Bwahahahahahahahaha.

How much donations has it taken to keep that blather going? Or maybe their fantastic ratings are drawing advertisers in like flies to sugar. NOT !!

Al Franken.....what a maroon.
          I take it you're a republican
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
            Thank you so very much for the comprehensive list! Love Coast to Coast, have been listening to it for years. I will write these down for future use.

From somewhere deep under the Earth...this is Coast to Coast. One of the biggest if not the biggest syndicated night time talk radio shows in the U.S.

I remember when I worked for KGU then KHVH and Art Bell was on. If we had any glitch in the audio feed whether it was a solar flare or me accidently hitting the wrong button on the console, the phone banks would light up with these whackos telling me, "It's a conspiracy...the feds are censoring vital information from getting over the air!" I tell them to relax I dropped my Snicker's bar on the cue button.

Comment

Strictly RepubliCRAT
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Strictly RepubliCRAT
                You know what they say about people that stay in the middle of the road...they get run over

Comment

Strictly RepubliCRAT
                  Combining the worst elements of both parties?j/k
                  Maybe there's something to Scrivener's Libertarian politics after all...
                  (...and don't you have the colors reversed?)
                  Last edited by Leo Lakio; October 5, 2006, 10:36 AM. Reason: Red state, blue state, one state, two state, false state, true state, yay state, boo state?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Combining the worst elements of both parties?j/k
                    Maybe there's something to Scrivener's Libertarian politics after all...
                    (...and don't you have the colors reversed?)

As you said combining the worst elements of both parties.

I'm a republican but I wished we had Dole instead. He looked good on SNL. Gore didn't. But then again we do have Gore to thank for the internet right?

But getting back OT: TAlk radio!!! yep caught fire on the mainland, still a wet match here in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      TAlk radio!!! yep caught fire on the mainland, still a wet match here in Hawaii.
                      How much do you think that can be attributed to this thinking --- Given that most contemporary "talk radio" programming evolved out of a desire by the Republican community to get their message out during the earliest years of the Clinton administration, when Democrats also held more power in Congress - and politics in Hawai`i has long been dominated by Democrats, have radio stations in the Islands felt the potential audience for said programming was too small to be commercially viable?

Comment

None of my views are middle of the road.

The colors are reversed on purpose.

Talk radio in Hawaii will never succeed due to the language barrier.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The market here for talk radio has always been poor. I think it's just one of those things like Spam.

One of the big reasons why it seemed so republican slanted is for the simple reason that there hasn't been any stellar leftist radio programming until lately.

Take Rush Limbaugh. He understands the virtue of talk radio. He entertains us with his flamboyant styling. He takes environmentalists and turns them into whackos who hug trees, Feminists into Amazonian Babes and whatever.

He makes them into these almost make believe comic villians and thus creates this visual reference of unbelievable proportions. It's so obviously thrown out of proportion (but with a mix of reality) that he comes across as more entertaining.

Air America on the other hand just blasts republicans with insults resulting in an almost editorial comic pane. Short but not entertaining, just a lot of hate.

With Rush you listen whether you like him or hate him because you want to know what the heck he's gonna say next to either defend or blast him. Kinda like Howard Stern. Like himor hate him...you listen in and guess what his ratings soar as a result.

But here in Hawaii, it's not the republican issues that fuel talk radio, it's the localized formats we produced on the weekends and the infomercials that we buy for rebroadcast that bring in the kala.

I honestly believe what started the wave of Republicanism here (with the election of Linda Lingle as our governor) was when Henry broadcasting was bought out by Patterson Broadcasting.

Henry broadcasting owned KHVH and guess what KHVH ran Rush Limbaugh when KGU lost the contract over disputed broadcast affidavits. Rick Hamada added some fuel to Rush's movement but it was when Patterson bought out Henry, and thru successive name changes the emergant name became Clear Channel.

No connection yet but when KHVH's studios merged with KSSK's studios and shared news operations, that's when I believe the magic of political change occured.

In the past Michael W. Perry always remained in the middle of the political road letting his listeners debate their positions and he would always moderate on the air not taking sides.

I noticed slowly over the years that Perry and Price have become outspoken critics of a lot of political issues here siding more and more with the republicans especially over economics. With Larry Price's office less than 20-steps from the KHVH's studios and Rick Hamada walking past the KSSK flagship studio every morning it's no wonder there was some influencing of one's attitude over a period of time.

With more and more support heading towards the republicans with each broadcast of the P&P show political contentment started sliding away from the Democrats. Rick's popularity picked up as well helping the talk radio format here. People tuned in to a talk radio station for once after hearing a lot of reasonable debate on P&P. Rick's ratings go up and they leave their dial on KHVH and they begin to hear other talk programming both political and everything else from removing skin tags (Dr. Flowers) to Estate Planning with attorney Rowen Young.

But I'd put myself on the limb here by saying where there is a strong Republican representation in local state and federal governments in those demographic areas, there are talk radio stations that garner a higher than normal market share when it comes to listenership.

In California radio station KFI which was a music station back in the early 80s became a number One radio station in listenership when it converted to a talk format.

In Hawaii it never caught on. Different political alliances here.

And Tim, language has never been an issue with talk radio here in Hawaii. In my 23-years in the talk radio biz, that's never been the case.

If you want to see that machine the Democrats are accused of running come to a stop or slow down, all CC has to do is simulcast the P&P morning show everyday in Hilo. Yes Hilo.

Hilo represents one of the last Democratic hold outs loyal to the Democratic party thru Daniel Inouye. So many Nisei are there to support Inouye and their respect for the man transcends to the Sansei. These local sansei children are in our public offices here in Hilo like Stacey Higa and Dennis Arakaki our county council. If Inouye were to have been a Republican, Hawaii would be a very different place today. Japanese are loyal to their own no matter of their beliefs. If Craig Watanabe sold Toyotas all his life and had a strong following of Japanese buyers, and went to sell Kia's, guess what so will his buyers.

Like sheep we vote what our parents voted until some outside influence tells us otherwise. Talk radio is that influence but it floundered until KSSK under Perry and Price became biased towards one party over the other thru the likes of KHVH when the merge happened.

That's my theory and I believe it to be so.

Comment

Air America is on the verge or may have already filed for bankruptcy.

On the Sean Hannity show a few weeks ago, he mentioned that it would not be a good idea if Air America went out of business. He fears that if the liberals cannot have a successful network, that they may use legislation to force conservative talk radio off the air or possibly force them to offer "equal time" to the liberal point of view.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              Air America is on the verge or may have already filed for bankruptcy.
                              I've read that Air America hasn't paid its on-air talent in weeks. I admit, without shame, that I have never listened to a moment of the Air America station in Seattle - I'm no more interested in listening to radio rants from the left than I am from the right.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              On the Sean Hannity show a few weeks ago, he mentioned that it would not be a good idea if Air America went out of business. He fears that if the liberals cannot have a successful network, that they may use legislation to force conservative talk radio off the air or possibly force them to offer "equal time" to the liberal point of view.
                              Sigh...just goes to show that lefties (yes, I am one) will never succeed in out-Republicaning the Republicans.

And the "legislation" thing is another piece of Hannity rumor/bullcrap; he knows damn well that such a proposal would never fly an inch. Gotta love Fox "Fairly Unbalanced" News ... their recent on-air "boo-boo" of identifying pedophile GOP federal Representative Foley as a "Democrat" not once, not twice, but THREE times over the course of a recent program reveals their sloppiness at best (and at worst, their deliberate skill at lying.)

Comment

Working...
                              X