Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your favorite gun store?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I meant to say (and I actually edited that three times for clarity BEFORE finishing with what's now there) "I don't know if it will help you to mention that I referred you, but it wouldn't help"
    This is insane. I meant, of course, that what I meant to write was "I don't know if it will help you to mention that I referred you, but it wouldn't hurt." I hate myself.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

This is insane. I meant, of course, that what I meant to write was "I don't know if it will help you to mention that I referred you, but it wouldn't hurt."
      I think we figured as much, from the context.

Don't you just hate it when one of the repressed personalities possessing your soul pops up unexpectedly? Usually when you are in the middle of something that will outlive you.

Comment

This is insane. I meant, of course, that what I meant to write was "I don't know if it will help you to mention that I referred you, but it wouldn't hurt." I hate myself.
        Scriv...take a deep breath...close your eyes...think nice thoughts...NIAGRA FALLS!!!!

You gotta be an old school Three Stooges to know that one!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Slowly I turn ...
          ... step by step ...
          ... inch by inch ...

Actually, I was never much of a Stooges fan, neither the Iggy Pop nor the Three variety.

Though I do have a lust for life.

...and severe thread drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Slowly I turn ...
            ... step by step ...
            ... inch by inch ...

Actually, I was never much of a Stooges fan, neither the Iggy Pop nor the Three variety.
            woo hoo we got a winner here!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              I was never much of a Stooges fan, neither the Iggy Pop nor the Three variety...
              That's OK. I'm big enuf a fan to fill your vacancy on both counts.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I visited Magnum and Gunsource LLC today. Friendly staff at both places.

Magnum has an indoor range. $15/day. You can bring your own gun or rent a pistol for $20 and a rifle for $30. You can only use ammo you've bought from them.

Gunsource is in a nondescript location. The brightest and whitest store so far (due to its second floor location and large windows). They have a more serious and professional attitude, but still friendly. The guy was chit chatting with me about ammo shortages and other gun related stuff.

State required safety training can be signed up for at Young Guns and Security Equipment Corp (taught by L.I.F.E. members) for $120. Classes are once a month, up to 6 students.

If you want one-on-one training with a more flexible schedule, you can go with Daniel at Kaneohe Gun Shop or Alan Nagahisa of Ohana Services.

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                eric and i made a purchase at magnum firearms last year.
                Like a couple picking out an engagement ring, except this purchase has more flash than sparkle :_)

Geez what a lousy post I put up. I think every sentence is a variation of...
                I imagine you can spend an hour working on three sentences, if you're in the right mood.

Daniel has the best website of all the local gun stores. He walks you through the gun registration / training with a lot of pictures.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                As for guns in the house, I have one but it's well hidden and the ammo in distinct different place under lock and key. I got three minor boys in the house.
                Since we have minors also, my wife wants the gun and ammo separated and locked up. I agree with her. Better safe than sorry (especially if they bring friends over).

I guess the downside is you can't count on access to your gun, in a surprise situation?
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                  I guess the downside is you can't count on access to your gun, in a surprise situation?
                  Thus you need to take all the other possible steps you can to avoid said "surprise situations." As any responsible gun user will tell you, in the kinds of situations you are envisioning, you want the discharge of firearms to be the last option.

Comment

What's your favorite gun position? 2 hands?

I have a friend who is obsessed with guns.
                    Don't we all.... And we have friends obsessed with something: with sex, with conquest (sexual or otherwise), with politics, with winning arguments (even when they know they are wrong - we got one of those here), etc. Obsession: it's not only a cheap perfume...

Now don't get me wrong, I have no issues with guns.
                    As for guns in the house, I have one but it's well hidden and the ammo in distinct different place under lock and key.
                    So, when danger presents, you must find the gun, unlock the ammo, and lock and load before you're protected.
                    I think a loaded gun in a quick-entry safe with a good lock is better.
                    When I was invaded I would not have had the time had I not had my setup. Likely I saved at least four lives.

I got three minor boys in the house. When it comes to personal safety and the closest police precinct is too far away, you gotta protect your family for the moment.
                    Typical HPD response time to my place in an emergency is 20 minutes.
                    That's partly because they know they have to remember the body bags. There is NO WAY the police can protect me and my family in case of home invasion or break-in. All they can do is pick up the pieces and ship us to the morgue. Protect them for the moment? You may find it's a long moment.

Most crooks know that most homeowners are not prepared to fend off an attacker and they will without hesitation knock down your front door and hold you and your family at gunpoint while they rob you silly. Not in my home. I've been trained in firearms, I know how to use them and I won't have any hesitation in using it if my family is threatened...plus knowing Aikido and being trained in taking on armed adversaries from my military days helps.
                    I guess that's one reason you're unafraid to use your real name?

But if you don't know how to use a gun, then I wouldn't even consider owning one because it will be used against you.
                    That is why I am so pleased that Hawaii now requires a firearms safety course before one can acquire firearms. My spouse went through it and I was amazed at the thorough training she got (Security Equipment). I trust her with a gun, and that's not something I say easily.

Excellent comments. Safety FIRST; protection is part of safety; protection is impossible without knowledge and training.

Perhaps we should treat firearm licenses like we do drivers' licences? Learn, practice and test before licensing.
                    Last edited by Kaonohi; November 13, 2009, 07:06 PM. Reason: Had to retrieve my ammo.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                      Like a couple picking out an engagement ring, except this purchase has more flash than sparkle.
                      *smiles enignmatically*

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      Don't we all.... And we have friends obsessed with something: with sex, with conquest (sexual or otherwise), with politics, with winning arguments (even when they know they are wrong - we got one of those here), etc. Obsession: it's not only a cheap perfume...
                      while obsession by calvin klein is not a fragrance i'd wear, it's definitely not a cheap perfume.

stubbornly-held, ill-conceived opinions? very cheap. of course, even opinions soundly come by are free.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

most homeowners are not prepared to fend off an attacker and they will without hesitation knock down your front door and hold you and your family at gunpoint while they rob you silly.
                        How often does that happen in Hawaii? I do not want to live in a place where that happens frequently.

If someone broke into my house right now, whether I'm there or not, they would get around $20 bucks in cash, one laptop valued at $279, and a bottle of $100 tequila. That's about it (I don't have a TV). You don't even need a gun to rob my house. If you are that hard up, just knock on the door and I'll give the stuff to you.

Life is too short for violence over materialistic things that are meaningless.

For those that are fascinated by firearms, please take a gun safety class.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          How often does that happen in Hawaii? I do not want to live in a place where that happens frequently.
                          Life is too short for violence over materialistic things that are meaningless.

For those that are fascinated by firearms, please take a gun safety class.
                          I agree that everyone who is going to hold a firearm should be trained, not only in its proper application, but in using said tool safely.

How often does it happen in Hawaii? I've lived in my home for 20 years, and we have been violated twice by criminals. When I lived in cheap apartments in Waikiki and Kailua no one ever bothered, but a home and family is a better target I guess.

First time I called the police, and it was treated like a ho-hum chore: they arrived 20 minutes after our call, didn't bother to take fingerprints (this was before Boisse), didn't do much more than take a list of missing items (no descriptions) and we never heard anything more. We weren't home at the time, but the alarm system scared them away.

Next time was the middle of the night. I awoke to the attempted break-in (the alarm was off, of course) and confronted the intruders with a pistol. They ran. I yelled at them to keep running and don't come back. The police were uninterested, since it was so dark I could give no description.

The bottom line is that if you want to avoid being a victim, it on you. You can be like Matapule and have no goods or family to protect, but if you have a family, and you care about them, protecting them is your responsibility. Don't depend on others.

Twice in 20 years is too frequent for me not to take steps to protect myself.

And it likely happens more often in Hawaii than you would expect; neither of my incidents made the papers.
                          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                            How often does it happen in Hawaii? I've lived in my home for 20 years, and we have been violated twice by criminals.
                            Yikes!!! My home has never been invaded while occupied or unoccupied in 43 years of marriage. I guess I'm safer living in a country like Mexico. Oh wait, Fokikovi did break into our fale in Falevai (there were no such thing as locks in Tonga). We came home from a faikava late one evening and found him inside. He had discovered that we had nothing of value to "borrow." I gave him a "matapule lecture", something to eat, assigned some chores around our api, and sent him on his way. Another time I lost a pair of long pants off the clothesline in Falevai. Although I was pi$$ed, it was no biggie.

We weren't home at the time, but the alarm system scared them away.
                            My question was, how often has a home been invaded and the family held hostage at gunpoint like Craig's concern. Also, if the alarm system scared them off, why do you need a gun?

Next time was the middle of the night. I awoke to the attempted break-in (the alarm was off, of course) and confronted the intruders with a pistol. They ran. I yelled at them to keep running and don't come back.
                            If it was dark, how did they know you had a pistol? What scared them off, your pistol or your shout or the alarm? Why didn't you shoot them? What good is a firearm if you aren't prepared to use it? Did the intruders have a gun?

The police were uninterested, since it was so dark I could give no description.
                            What do you expect the police to do if you can't give a description?

You can be like Matapule and have no goods or family to protect, but if you have a family, and you care about them, protecting them is your responsibility.
                            Oh, I have family to protect and I do care VERY MUCH about them. I just don't live anywhere that I put them in danger. I do have som materialistic things I like, but they are not so valuable that I would risk shooting someone or being shot.

Twice in 20 years is too frequent for me not to take steps to protect myself.
                            I'd think about getting a big dog about now.

And it likely happens more often in Hawaii than you would expect; neither of my incidents made the papers.
                            That's good to know when one is making significent lifestyle decisions like matapule is. Mahalo! What part of Hawaii do you live? I'd like being your neighbor, but it sounds a little too stressful for matapule.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Turning into: how do you stay safe?

Another time I lost a pair of long pants off the clothesline in Falevai. Although I was pi$$ed, it was no biggie.
                              I've heard it is common in Tonga for unattended items to be 'claimed' for use by passers-by. A different cultural concept of property.

My question was, how often has a home been invaded and the family held hostage at gunpoint like Craig's concern. Also, if the alarm system scared them off, why do you need a gun?
                              1. Had I not had some protection I might have fit Craig's description; the guy was bigger than me and had something in his hand.
                              2. The alarm system is for when we are away. When I'm home, I am the alarm system.

If it was dark, how did they know you had a pistol? What scared them off, your pistol or your shout or the alarm? Why didn't you shoot them? What good is a firearm if you aren't prepared to use it? Did the intruders have a gun?
                              1. They evidently recognized the 'click-ka-click' sound made by a revolver ----being cocked in single-action mode.
                              ----When I cocked the gun, they bolted.
                              2. See # 1.
                              3. I guess that's why I have a gun and you don't.
                              --a. He was no longer a threat,
                              --b. Shoot him in the back? As he's running away?
                              --c. I would only shoot someone if they threatened my or my family's
                              -----health or safety. Or perhaps to save the life of a friend or neighbor.
                              ____ A firearm can be a deterrent to crime without being fired.
                              4. See #3. Responsible gun owners know when and how to use a firearm.
                              5. If they did, they didn't make it obvious.

What do you expect the police to do if you can't give a description?
                              Come and cruise the area to see if there's someone in the neighborhood wandering around at 3am without a good reason for being there.

Oh, I have family to protect and I do care VERY MUCH about them. I just don't live anywhere that I put them in danger. I do have som materialistic things I like, but they are not so valuable that I would risk shooting someone or being shot.
                              I wasn't aware that anyplace was safe, but you seem to have chosen such a place. I hope it stays safe for you.

I'd think about getting a big dog about now.
                              I've heard that little 'yappers' are more effective than big 'biters.'

That's good to know when one is making significent lifestyle decisions like matapule is. Mahalo! What part of Hawaii do you live? I'd like being your neighbor, but it sounds a little too stressful for matapule.
                              I live in the country, not many close neighbors, nice and quiet most of the time, and very beautiful. Unfortunately the seclusion also invites prowlers. I have since taken additional steps (motion activated lights, etc.) to keep the peace. I'll keep my gun anyway, in case some crack-head decides to visit anyway.

If the police can't protect you, you gotta protect yourself.

K
                              ~ ~

Comment

Kaonhi knows that we do not have gun stores here. Even his penknife was confiscated in London. (But I will get him another one)

As a Lt colonel in the Brit Royal Navy, we had to carry side arms. I carried mine on empty chambers, in case I shot my leg off.

I could not hit the side of a barn door.

The silly buggers made us do target practice every week but nobody came near to me ~ very wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X