This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 5

Salmon, potatoe salad, sushi and a bottle of Orange Gatorade.

Comment

hi tonight we had chicken fried on our frying pan with fried onion's and bell peppers and we had it with rice and i had my diet soda and my mom had her wine and we also had it with bok choy and it was all good.
      not sure what's for tomorrow's dinner?

Well thank's for your time=O)

Comment

Fresh baked SF style sourdough bread, tuna salad & several of my usual Bacardi & cokes. and it was good and didn't take any effort which is what I like on a Friday, after a long week at work.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

eric and i just got home from sharing kalua nachos, the best fried chicken in a certain neighborhood, and fried udon with a great pal of ours. eric and our friend had beer, but i abstained since i don't mix meds & alcohol at all. just iced tea for me. the most enjoyable part was to spend several hours with a very good friend we rarely get to see. dessert? that's later, for eric & me to enjoy alone.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

hi tonight,we're having canned sardine's in water with rice and i''ll have my diet soda and my mom may have either water or wine? Tomorrow's dinner for myself will be sunnyside up egg's on rice with the yolk's on top and cooked cabbage and my diet soda.

Well thank's for your time=O)

Comment

Pizza slices and a cup of Cafeine Free Diet Coke from Sam's Club.

Comment

Mashed potatoes with broccoli.

Peel and chunk the potatoes and put them into a deep pot and cover with water. Put a steamer over the pot and fill with broccoli florets. Cook til all is tender.

Meanwhile, set on low heat a pot with milk or cream, lots of butter, and salt and pepper. Heat it til the butter melts, but don't let it boil...almost, but not boil.

Drain the vegetables, put them back into the big pot, and give em a whir with a mixer. Then , and only then, pour on the hot milk and butter, folding gently til all the liquid has been incorporated (try and have enough hot milk and melted butter to finish the job, and not too much so you get soup). This is the best way make fluffy, non-gluey mashed potatoes.

It's also nice to vary a bit...add carrots along with the potatoes, or mixed salad herbs (garlic, shallots, chives, parlsey...), or add chunks of ham or cheese, or confit de canard or fois gras.

I make an entire potful of this at one go....a kilo of broccoli and about three of spuds. The leftovers get made into soup.

Fry an onion in plenty of butter, add a chicken stock cube, a spoonful of mustard, a few drops of Tabasco, salt and pepper, and maybe a pinch of nutmeg. If you have some and it sounds good, add bacon. Then put in a big spoonful of flour and stir it around for a bit, cooking it and scraping the bottom of the pan so it doesn't stick.

Slowly add a few cups of milk, or milk and water, stirring all the while, then simmer (stir often) til you have a nice sauce that's not too thick and not too thin. Well, maybe a bit thinnish. Add corn or fish at this point if you happen to have some lying around.

Add enough leftover mashed potatoes to make the soup as thick as you like it. Simmer a bit more, then serve with crackers or croutons and a splash of cream or sherry. Or both.

If you don't have any leftover mashed potatoes handy, you can also simply sprinkle in instant dry potato flakes, or make the soup from the start with a few cubed potatoes.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

My post didn't come out again Susie. I will try later (I spent a while on it !)

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                    My post didn't come out again Susie. I will try later (I spent a while on it !)
                    I HATE when that happens! I think it has something to do with longer posts, and the time spent typing one. Nowadays, when I have a long post or one I've taken time on, I copy it before posting, just in case.

Comment

I ended up mixing the leftover mashed potatoes into a thinish pumpkin and carrot soup that we had the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                        I ended up mixing the leftover mashed potatoes into a thinish pumpkin and carrot soup that we had the day before.
                        Loving your recipes but I can't get my carrots to cook. I have reverted to the tinned variety. Yet if you want ? I can send you a ton of hard, stringy English carrots.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                          Loving your recipes but I can't get my carrots to cook. I have reverted to the tinned variety. Yet if you want ? I can send you a ton of hard, stringy English carrots.
                          Pressure cook them into submission.

Comment

Rissotto with sauteed opah, shrimp and calamari. Green beans.

Comment

Pizza, popcorn and cans of Diet Coke.

Comment

The kids eat an excellent school lunch, so I generally don't cook meat on weeknights. So tonight's dinner will be a tomato salad with vinaigrette and chopped onions, and a Spanish style omlette made with the chorizo oil I canned last year.

I took the wind-dried chorizo, which is like a fatty and spicy kind of peppeoni, and put it into canning jars and topped off the jars with either olive oil or peanut oil and canned them at 12 pounds pressure for an hour an a quarter. The oil turns ruby red from the sausage and smells and tastes lovely...I use it for all kinds of seasoning, from eggs to potatoes to paella to poultry....although the chorizo does get rather hard and dry, but can be chopped up or thinly sliced for use.

For the omlette, I fry cubed potatoes and peppers in the ruby red oil, then add onion and garlic, and finally some of the chopped chorizo from the jar (I can them whole and chop to use). When the potatoes are just done, I beat eggs with salt and pepper and milk and maybe a bit of chopped parsley or chive and pour it over the ingredients in the pan, then cover and cook on low until the bottom is browned and the egg is set and lo nolonger runny on the top...then loosen the omlette from the bottom of the pan and quickly turn it onto the lid (or a big plate), and slide it, uncooked side down, back into the pan, top it with grated Swiss cheese, and let it cook for just a bit more. Slide it out onto a serving dish and there you go.

Any kind of vegetable or meat or fish can be used for this kind of omlette, or even leftovers. Cheese is optional, but good. And it can be eaten cold, too. Or eaten as tapas, cut into thic slices and served on slices of baguette, held in place by a toothpick.

The idea is to make a thickish omlette, browned on one side, full of goodies. If the omlette browns on the bottom before the top sets, and risks splashing or running out as you turn it over, lift up the cooked bit so that the runny part can run under an get itself cooked before trying to flip it over...runny omlette interiors make such a mess and burn hands, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X