Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Fried Chicken?

Chicken Karaage at Minato.

The fried chicken at Byron's Drive-In by the airport - extra greasy but pretty good.

Comment

Based on Scriv's and other recommendations, I took the twins (older kids were doing their own thing) one night awhile back to KJ's Local Grindz, in the "back" of Windward City Shopping Center (Longs side, but in the row of tenants behind Genki Sushi).

THEY WERE OUT OF FRIED CHICKEN!

Sigh. Turns out that they are likely to run out sometime around 5p based on a few factors, per an explanation to customers posted inside. If the oil gets too full of "burnt" bits, they won't cook any more because the chicken's flavor would be compromised and they can't change the oil until the next day because the oil has to cool first. (Makes sense.)

So -- starving as I was, I ordered a THREE-ITEM plate -- three proteins plus their spaghetti-noodle "mac" salad and two scoops rice. My youngest also ordered a three-item plate and the older twin got a loco moco, choosing corn, sted mac salad.

I rarely gorge myself, but please understand -- I can EAT. So can my twin boys (they're 13). The loco moco plate got finished, with a struggle ... and try as we might not to waste food, the other twin and I had several pieces of mochiko chicken left. I only didn't have chicken katsu left because I'd shared some with the loco-moco-ordering twin, because he loves chix katsu and wanted to try it.

Now, some of the mochiko chicken pieces were overcooked and tough. The katsu was fine. The LM patty had a great char-grilled flavor and the gravy was OK (not the best I've ever had, but it worked fine with the grilled patty).

Wow. Too much food. I don't remember the total price, but for the amount of food we got, it was an incredibly good deal. For someone who rarely has the budget to dine out -- even for casual fare -- I knew I'd be going back.
      Last edited by Erika Engle; January 13, 2007, 09:55 AM. Reason: punctuation
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Re: Best Fried Chicken? KJ's part deux

Yesterday was pay day -- hooray!

Older kids were back in school, twins haven't gone back yet. Made 'em a deal. Do a chore for me and I'd take 'em to KJ's for lunch -- when they'd CERTAINLY still have fried chicken.

THEY DID! A huge bin-full, under a warming lamp. (A bit off-putting, in a way, but more on that in a moment.)

Knowing a three-item plate would be too much, I looked over the EXTENSIVE specials on the white-board and decided on spicy chicken breast strips for $6. (Not that spicy initially, but the cumulative effect was really nice - not blow-your-head-off hot.)

Older twin chose a two-item plate of chicken katsu and mochiko chicken (some pieces were overcooked and tough, again). Younger twin ordered a loco moco.

Atop the specials board there was a mention of 6pcs of fried chicken for $6, but on the wall behind the order-taker there was a catering menu reference to 6 pcs of fried chix for $5.50. ?? The $6 was the plate with rice and mac salad or corn; the $5.50 one was just chicken. I took the just-chicken option -- and we took it all home to grind.

Three take-out plates plus the catering plate of fried chicken (no drinks) for roughly $22.

Despite being in the bin under a warming lamp, the fried chicken was REALLY hot, VERY audibly crispy and ABSOLUTELY delicious! Super-crispy outside, moist and juicy inside and a totally different experience from any of the mainland quick-service chains.

I don't know what they put in the coating (maybe that Y. Hata mixture -- as they have a Y. Hata calendar ... hmm ...), but boy was it worth the wait!

As for the loco moco this time, there was some confusion about the cash register buttons -- so when we got home we found he received a DOUBLE Loco Moco with two patties and two eggs. He finished the proteins, leaving a little bit of rice and some mac salad due to, well, duh, fullness. We didn't finish the fried chicken -- putting in the fridge for later.

Thank you thank you thank you for recommending KJ's Local Grindz!

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
          Based on Scriv's and other recommendations, I took the twins [---] to KJ's Local Grindz

THEY WERE OUT OF FRIED CHICKEN!

Sigh. Turns out that they are likely to run out sometime around 5p based on a few factors, per an explanation to customers posted inside. If the oil gets too full of "burnt" bits, they won't cook any more because the chicken's flavor would be compromised and they can't change the oil until the next day because the oil has to cool first. (Makes sense.)
          If fried chicken is their "bread and butter", why don't they have a fryer system that can do full-time duty? Isn't there models with filter systems? Or have two fryers, alternating use of each one to let the other cool for an oil change.

I've never worked in the restaurant industry, but I imagine there's all kinds of complicated OSHA compliances when it comes to handling restaurant cooking equipment.

KJ's chicken batter must release an excessive amount of loose (eventually burnt) particles in the oil if that's an issue there. It's good to hear their standards for quality and flavor are up though. I also wanna' try them.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

All good questions, Pomai-san!

I'm sure there are fryers with filtration systems -- but not having inspected the kitchen -- not to mention my standing as a non-expert in restaurant kitchen equipment ... I don't know where to go with the rest of that sentence.

If the batter does release an excessive amount of "bits," it wasn't evidenced by any holes in the coating -- but I know what you mean, dribs and drabs can drop off into the oil without leaving pukas. I dunno.

Definitely worth a visit, though -- just go earlier rather than later!

Comment

I'm super-glad you liked KJ's, not so much for the restaurant's sake, but because you seemed to enjoy the experience. I'm curious about why you folks had two of the same dishes when you could have tried some of the other great stuff on the menu. The mochiko chicken there is fine, but the furikake chicken and miso chicken are much, much better! The furikake chicken, especially, is something of a signature at KJ's, and I haven't had its equal anywhere else.

Thanks for the report. Now I'm jonesing.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Usually I do like to recommend that we all have something different -- and probably will on future visits!

They'd done a chore for me though -- and it's not often I'm able to say, "get what ever you want."

Thanks for the recommendations on the other dishes, too ... I did hear someone order the furikake chicken and thought "Oh! I didn't see that," and momentarily regretted my order. However, since that's now officially a favorite of ours, I figure I'll have plenty more opportunities to try stuff there.

My "big kids" have yet to experience KJ's. Maybe this weekend ... we'll see. I have yet to make my grocery shopping list as I've been putt-zing* around on the computer and it's almost lunchtime. Hmm ... two plus two equals ...

(*Probably not the correct Yiddish spelling, but presented that way for pronunciation purposes.)

Comment

When I was stationed in the Washingtone DC Area. I worked in Reston, Virginia. I had 2 jobs (military & civilian) in the same building. During my Civilian job we use to get our food from Popeye's. I use to like the spicy Cajun chicken as well as the spicy onion rings.

After coming back home here I use to go to the Popeye's that was in Waimalu/Aiea. The one that is now a Sushi place now. The chicken just did not taste the same. Even the onion rings need not taste the same. I only stopped there from time to time to get some onion rings. I have not been back to Popeye's since they closed down. May have to check out the one on Dillingham some time in the near future.

Comment

A few friendly tips for anyone headed to KJs:
                    • Call ahead. 235-5799. It's a rare day when they don't 86 the fried chicken. You may have to call three or four times since they usually have only one or two people working the front. Pre-ordering once you get them on the phone is recommended. It takes 15-20 minutes from order to first bite if your chicken's chillin when you order it. And nothing beats bypassing a long Order line (I've seen it out the door) as the Pickup/Pay line is always short.
                    • Try the hulihuli chicken. We stumbled on to this "ugly duckling" on a day when her fried sisters had gone home to roost. We were pleasantly surprised with a plump, moist rendition of the venerable fundraiser fowl, which bore no resemblance to the charred, anorexic bird you often get. They apparently use a wet smoking process as the flavorful, succulent chicken was fully cooked yet pink all the way through.
                    Check out Steph and Russel's trip to KJ's here (scroll down halfway).
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

There used to be a place in Waipahu called Catfish and Pies. They weren't open very long, maybe a year to a year and a half. That was the BEST fried chicken i've ever had. I cried when they closed.
                      GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

Too bad.

I love me some good fried chicken. Maybe they should have changed their name to Kickin' Chicken, or something to that effect.
                        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by bf334 View Post
                          There used to be a place in Waipahu called Catfish and Pies. They weren't open very long, maybe a year to a year and a half. That was the BEST fried chicken i've ever had. I cried when they closed.
                          Catfish and Pies was the bomb! They even had Grape Kool-Aid. Everything was really good there.

As much as I like Zippy's fried chicken (and you gotta love the chicken/chili mixed plate), I must agree with LeiLiko and say that I LOVE ROSCOE'S. I will always make room for Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.

I can't even really describe how good it is. You just have to try it for yourself to know. But basically, it's juicy on the inside. However, the outside is crispy and greasy, like they cross-bred a chicken with a pig so that the skin is like bacon. Then they fry it in some kind of goodness that I swear has to include batu. It's that addictive.

Mostly, I will order the #22, where the chicken comes with mac & cheese, greens and cornbread. And I will order an extra thigh. Sometimes, if I'm wearing elastic waistband pants, I will also order a side of waffles.

Once, I even sat next to Xzibit at the Pico location. His table had hot sauce and mine didn't. So I wanted to hand him my plate and say, "Xzibit, Pimp my thigh!" But I don't like to get shot at lunch, so I just kept my mouth shut.

Comment

Dang I got a craving for Wing Stop now....their chicken is pretty awesome..
                            Words are one thing. Actions are another.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                              Catfish and Pies was the bomb! (...) I will always make room for Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. (...) Mostly, I will order the #22, where the chicken comes with mac & cheese, greens and cornbread.
                              Okay, Paul, since you're living in Los Angeles now, have you ever been to Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch in Marina del Rey? We're talkin' world-class southern-stye grindz, even though it's a medium-sized hole-in-the-wall-looking place in a shopping center. It's LA's best kept secret. Almost always some 'celebrities,' and professional sports teams almost always make one stop there when they're visiting LA. And the owners and staff are as awesome as the food is.
                              It's close to LAX, so next time you're going to or from the airport, check it out. I promise, it'll become your favorite place in town.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

LikaNui... I'm sitting in SeaTac right now waiting for a flight to China. Doing shows in HK and Macau, but when I get back into L.A. next week I'll be sure to stop by Aunt Kizzy's on the way home.

Man, I can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X