Bicycle riders in town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bicycle riders in town

When I go out biking, I often ride on the sidewalk, but sloooowly. There are people and cars coming at you from everywhere, but I feel safer there than on the street. The trick is to go slow, almost jogging speed, so that you can stop fast for an erratic pedestrian, or a car flying out of a parking garage.
    Ugh, that's always the scariest part! I would hate to have a car not see me when its coming out of a parking garage driveway, hit me, and knock me into street traffic! Right when TheBus is coming. Ewwwww, gross!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      This is the first time that we have been involved in an actual collision with a cyclist, but only because on previous occasions we have been able to move out of their way.
      This is why bikes are banned from sidewalks. As for the rude cyclist, I would shrug it off as someone who might be emotionally unstable. Normal people don't behave recklessly and then blame accidents on someone else.

Despite years of proclaiming otherwise, the City hasn't taken enough action to make Honolulu a bike-friendly place. Cycling as a viable means of transportation has been talked about for the past 30 years but very little has been done to make it happen. Opportunities to properly stripe roads and highways to accommodate cyclists have been missed repeatedly. And the "lei of parks" concept forwarded by Harris is an idiotic joke to anyone serious about getting somewhere on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        This is the first time that we have been involved in an actual collision with a cyclist, but only because on previous occasions we have been able to move out of their way. While in Honolulu, we have so often had to move off the sidewalk to avoid being run down by cyclists that we assumed, cynically perhaps, that they had the right of way.
        Gillian Barnett
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada

Bicyclists ALWAYS must yield to pedistrians whether they're on a: Sidewalk, bikepath or the actual roadway.

Bicyclists must use a sounding device (yelling GET OUTTA DA WAY F*CKIN HAOLE, is not one of the approved methods however), to warn pedistrians that they are approaching them on a side walk.

Bicyclists are only allowed on sidewalks in Residentially-zoned areas, and are prohibited in Commercially-zoned areas.

Both Bicyclists and motorists must give at least 3-feet of passing distance between themselves.

I take that to assume then that a bicyclist who is maneuvering past cars stuck in traffic cannot use the shoulder or the curb areas of the roadway to pass the line of cars if the pathway is less than three feet wide.

Bicyclists must ride on the right side of two way traffic but may ride on the left side on any one-way roadway.

Bikepaths are not raceways and if you should see a bicyclist or bicyclists racing along a bike path, call the police, better yet...well maybe not that's illegal.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey, does anyone know of good biking in Kailua? My sweetie and I have our hearts set on this great studio 5 blocks from the beach, and we love biking! We even dismantled our bicycles and shipped them here. Is it cool to bike to the beach there? Will someone steal my bike if I lock it to a tree? Or keep it in my backyard? Are there any bike paths? Is it residential enough to legally ride on the sidewalks? ARE there any sidewalks?
          You guys are the BEST for insight and info, and any comments on this would be really appreciated!
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Whew! Yea it was tough riding around Honolulu.I got hit twice by motorists,but it didn't stop me.I rode like a warrior,very aggressively,and vocally,using plenty of hand signals. I pissed off a lot of drivers who didn't know how to share the streets.I demanded respect and I think other riders should do the same.Cyclists:STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!!

However,I was very courteous to pedestrians.
            Last edited by aoimizu; March 19, 2008, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aoimizu View Post
              Whew! Yea it was tough riding around Honolulu.I got hit twice by motorists,but it didn't stop me.I rode like a warrior,very aggressively,and vocally,using plenty of hand signals. I pissed off a lot of drivers who didn't know how to share the streets.I demanded respect and I think other riders should do the same.Cyclists:STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!!

However,I was very courteous to pedestrians.
              Wow, I haven't been hit by motorists yet (knocks on wood) but there was that one time when a big pavement/rock hauling truck driver tried to kill me on Nimitz. On the .5 mile section where there is no bike lane the guy was right on my okole as I was riding and then he layed on his horn for like 10 seconds so I flipped the SOB off...bad idea. He then proceeds to slowly pass me and when his trailer is next to me he starts moving the front of his truck towards the curb with his trailer following. At this point I can see him looking in his side mirror right at me as he's literally about to run me over. It gets to the point where I have only a few inches of room left and I had to try to jump the curb. I only got my front wheel over and that slowed me down and he passed me. That's when I decided that when I'm on that section I will take the lane so someone has to use the other lane if they are passing. It is way too narrow to fit a bicycle and a car safely on that section of Nimitz.
              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

If a trucker ever does a stupid stunt like that take his license down (not the trailer license) as any CDL driver knows they can lose that license. That CDL is their bread and butter and losing it typically means losing their job. And we all know losing a job in Hawaii is a bad thing, especially if it's a high paying union job.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  If a trucker ever does a stupid stunt like that take his license down (not the trailer license) as any CDL driver knows they can lose that license. That CDL is their bread and butter and losing it typically means losing their job. And we all know losing a job in Hawaii is a bad thing, especially if it's a high paying union job.
                  Craig, who to call to report the license number? The cops will give their usual song and dance about not witnessing the event with their own eyes and say they can't do anything about it. As usual, someone has to get hurt to get them to pursue the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                    Craig, who to call to report the license number? The cops will give their usual song and dance about not witnessing the event with their own eyes and say they can't do anything about it. As usual, someone has to get hurt to get them to pursue the matter.
                    If not then call the company that owns that truck and report that driver.

Comment

Many years ago, while travelling through Waikiki on Kalakaua Ave., I almost got squished by a City Bus so then went up on the sidewalk and scootered my bike (sitting on it but just pushing on the ground - not pedaling and going the speed of pedestrians). I got a ticket from a police officer, can't remember how much.

Bummer man!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Couple of years ago, I was driving out of my condo’s garage, which has a radio-controlled gate. Another car in front of me was waiting for traffic to clear before it pulled out onto the street. I eased out behind him (before the gate came down). I eased out slowly, as I always do, because I simply cannot see pedestrian traffic on my left and right before I exit the garage onto the sidewalk. Just as the front of my car eased out onto the sidewalk, a young woman on a bicycle zigzagged and screeched to a halt in front of my car; she had to use her feet to stabilize her bike. She had scooted out behind the car that had just been in front of me.

Here’s the kicker: she had a little baby strapped onto her bike. I felt terrible as I stared into her terrified eyes, because this might be been a horrible accident. But on later reflection, it was as much her fault as mine (maybe I should have eased out much, much slower, which I now do just in case).

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...k-of-survival/

Something that's healthy for you. Oh, that won't last.

Comment

Working...
                          X