Thinking about making the move to Molokai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking about making the move to Molokai

susie hasn't made a comment in this thread in over a week now. I think there's a pretty good chance she's been dissuaded from entertaining the thought of relocating from Iowa to Molokai by now. Well done, HT community, for setting her straight about this nonsense of moving to Molokai and crushing her what would have been an impossible dream to fulfill!

Comment

I can't decide if that was a very passive-agressive post or not.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
        Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.

Helen Keller
        WOW

That just sums it up beautifully.
        sigpic You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
          susie hasn't made a comment in this thread in over a week now. I think there's a pretty good chance she's been dissuaded from entertaining the thought of relocating from Iowa to Molokai by now. Well done, HT community, for setting her straight about this nonsense of moving to Molokai and crushing her what would have been an impossible dream to fulfill!
          I don't think she's comin' back either.

If a bunch of anonymous Internet posters could "crush" her dream then it wasn't strong enough to survive the journey.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Or maybe she took our advice and is on her way to visit and check out the place. You never know...

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Some people, when they don't get the answers they're hoping for, move on to another forum in search of those elusive answers. Susie mentioned she'd already visited other forums before HT. I can't say that's why she hasn't returned to HT but I'd wager a small bet that she hasn't been dissuaded from moving to Molokai...yet! A month's vacation on Molokai might give her a better grip on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                I can't decide if that was a very passive-agressive post or not.
                if you're talking about surfingfarmboy's post, anapuni, i'd say it's not. he was pretty clear in communicating what he felt and didn't try hiding it, nor was he being manipulative. in fact, i'd say this thread is one of the few where passive-aggressiveness didn't rear it's sad, ugly & bitterly impotent head--probably bcs the poster(s) who have it as a posting hallmark didn't make much of an appearance here.
                Last edited by cynsaligia; July 19, 2009, 12:01 PM.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

yeah, you're right.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200..._shortage.html

A reality of paradise.

Comment

My hope is that Susie, however she reacted initially, will decide to come back and fill us in on what she's thinking after having processed all the material we cast her way.

Maybe a trip to Moloka`i will be in the works, or perhaps Pua`i Mana`o's suggestion has her studying up on Moku o Keawe?

Or maybe the joys of an Iowa summer are keeping her away from the computer? (I'm just bummed now that internet voters caused the Iowa State Fair to back away from their plans to make a Michael Jackson sculpture out of butter; I was looking forward to that bit of artistry...)

Comment

I can't understand why no one gets down to the basic facts they're trying to convey. Molokai is tribal - the tribe doesn't want any outsiders inviting themselves to join up - just like any indigenous tribe anywhere else in the world. Visitors and news from afar may be welcome, but not self-inducted new members, much less new recruits to that other non-tribal community that has moved in on their turf.
                        Last edited by salmoned; July 20, 2009, 10:16 AM.
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                          I can't understand why no one gets down to the basic facts they're trying to convey.
                          'Cuz PC gets in the way of the truth being told up front.
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                            Hi Susie,

I notice that those on this board who are most familiar with Molokai are decidedly silent on this thread.......... which says something in of itself..... (Random - where are you?)
                            Sorry. I just finally found this thread.

Friends of ours relocated to Molokai a few years ago. And that was from Maui. It was (and still is) a tough nut to crack. They are still considered outsiders. He has to travel to Maui for work every day. That is a ferry ride each way with 10 ft swells on a good day.
                            Just so you know, many locals from Molokai commutes to Maui for job.

She is a teacher there. Education is another issue on Molokai. Unfortunately, it is not a priority. You avatar shows you with a small child? How will he be treated by the other children?
                            If you're looking for the best education, you need not travel to Hawaii at all, as many Hawaii graduates with a teaching degree tend to look to the mainland for better job benefits and salary.

Even if they want to stay in Hawaii, Molokai is not up there as their preference for workplace.

You say you are from Iowa or Missouri. Either one is a place I have absolutely no idea about other than it is land-locked in the middle of the country. All I picture is flat corn fields and Dorothy (sorry Leo and whoever else is from there - chalk it up to cultural ignorance ).
                            If you're referring to the Wizards of Oz, Dorothy lived in Kansas.

I grew up on what amounts to a sand bar stuck out in the Atlantic ocean, where living off tourism and fishing is a way of life and visiting/living on & off for 20 yrs on Maui. I could not live on Molokai - as much as I love visiting there. You mention you had to drive 45 minutes to get groceries. How are your sea legs? There are no supermarkets on the island. And don't expect any to come too soon. That too, is a ferry ride away.
                            Meh. I was born and raised on Molokai ... without the need for a supermarket.

It's been a couple of years since I was there, but they used to have a bumper sticker on Molokai that says something like "Molokai - a wonderful place to visit - just don't stay" or something to that effect. Although the company that ran the Molokai Ranch have pulled out now (or could you say - pushed out?), they were trying to build ocean front McMansions on La'au Point. The last time we were there, all the for sale signs had buckshot through them. Of course, that is sacred land, but the point is, the locals- for many reasons - are not inclined to welcome strangers wanting to move there.
                            Perhaps, but we are no different than the North Shore/Haleiwa folks who simply want to keep their country country.

You have to understand, if one were to see opportunity, one must also be sensitive to the local culture and community lifestyle. And it's not just here in Hawaii, but also on the mainland. IIRC, there was a town somewhere that rejected the building of a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

As for Molokai Ranch, as much as I tried to sympathize with them, their shutting down the historic plantation town of Maunaloa, abandoning Kaluakoi Hotel & Resort to rot (seen it with my bare eyes after 20 years), and hiking up residential water rate, just make them more of an outsider bully (their parent company Guoco Leisure is based in Malaysia).

That and I cannot understand why they're so adamant on their Master Plan, other than desperately trying to pocket income. But then they have a history of mismanagements. From their failed development of Papohaku, to shutting down Kaluakoi Resorts, opening and then closing Maunaloa Lodge, they simply just don't know how to manage their properties.

As for welcoming strangers, we are known as the "Friendly Isle." Since I've been back, I've noticed unfamiliar new faces (and by new, I can tell if the person is born or lived on Molokai long ... or not). I've no reason not to welcome them (though I'm very awkward when making longer conversations), so long they observe and respect the local lifestyle.

I wish you all the best in your quest. But I highly recommend that you visit the different islands - each has its own unique character (kind of like the difference between Iowa and Missouri? I'm just guessing.....) - before you make the move. Good luck!
                            Same here. Molokai have a laid-back lifestyle, even more laid back than Hana, Maui.

Granted, our economy sucks, welfare and unemployment is rising, small businesses have shut down (e.g., Mango Mart, Paddler's Inn), and at this time I'm writing this post, our county water pump (with no backup) as well as the Hawaiian Homeland's water pump (served as de facto backup) are broken, certain "metropolitan" areas like the port town of Kaunkakai is slowly losing water pressure and won't be fixed until the end of the week. How we got this far without resolving it before it break, I'll never know.

Having said that, there is no place for me but Molokai. I don't belong anywhere else, not even Honolulu, which I have lived since 1987.

I hope you don't think less of me, salmoned.
                            Last edited by Random; July 21, 2009, 02:51 AM.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I simply couldn't think less of you, Random.

I am fully supportive of the residents of Molokai deciding their own fate with regard to every community issue - including government, commerce, infrastructure, tourism and population growth. The natural separations provided by our island environment offers an excellent opportunity to view the effects of policy variation in isolation - if we avail ourselves of it.
                              Last edited by salmoned; July 21, 2009, 09:57 AM.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                                I simply couldn't think less of you, Random.
                                Ummm... pardon if my English grammar skills are a bit rusty...
                                But doesn't this phrasing imply that the writer, salmoned, thinks so little of the other person, Random,
                                that salmoned's opinion could not be any lower?

Not to put words in salmoned's mouth, but I think that salmoned actually meant to say the opposite,
                                i.e., wanted to reassure Random that he is held in high esteem.

I myself admire those who call Moloka'i "ku'u home," because I think it takes a special connection to the 'aina to do so.

So, to Random: I hope you and the Moloka'i ohana continue to fight to preserve the "Moloka'i way of life"...
                                After all, that's what makes Moloka'i such a special place.

Geev 'um!
                                To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Working...
                                X