Thinking about making the move to Molokai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking about making the move to Molokai

I don't know if Susie's ever coming back (no login for over a month) but here's a followup on McAfee:

Listed at $4.9M, auctioned Wednesday at $1.5M.
    http://www.auctioncompanyofamerica.c...7_G-870web.pdf

Who knows, maybe she was the top bidder.

Here's more of the McAfee story:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/bu...gewanted=print
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I think susie is long gone. I now to have to agree with Nords' original thought "If a bunch of anonymous Internet posters could "crush" her dream then it wasn't strong enough to survive the journey."

You know, it seems that those from the mainland seeking the dream of living a laid-back island lifestyle, with a year-round tropical climate similar to Hawaii's, might be better off trying to figure out a way to make it in the Florida Keys, rather than (for example) susie's entertainment of the extreme thought of moving from Iowa to Molokai. While there are some true locals to be found, it seems (based on my unscientific observations there) that the majority of residents in Key West and the Keys hale from somewhere else, all who relocated there seeking refuge from colder climates, or to escape the pressures of a big city life to live in a city that is clearly one of the most laid-back on the mainland...or to merely to catch some of the most spectacular sunsets in the USA (apologies to Sunset Beach) from Mallory Square on a daily basis. I think the residents of the Keys would be much more receptive to "immigrants" to the Conch Republic, seeing that so many of them are originally from points outside of the Keys. Relocating to the Keys wouldn't be at all like the experience she would (probably) have in moving into the tight-knit Molokai community.

susie also states that her vocation is beadmaking and jewelry...that would fit well in Key West, with the number of tourists and cruise ships that visit there yearly. I think she'd have more success selling beads and jewelry in heavily tourist-oriented Key West than Kaunakakai, Molokai. Biggest negative about the Key West and the Keys: Property values and rents on par with Hawaii.

Whatever course susie ultimately decides to chart for herself and her family, be it headed in the direction of Molokai, Key West, or wherever, I wish her well. I hope she does stop back in at HT and one day report to us all that she has at last finally found her personal paradise, far from the Iowa she is evidently isn't all that happy being a part of.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
        You know, it seems that those from the mainland seeking the dream of living a laid-back island lifestyle, with a year-round tropical climate similar to Hawaii's, might be better off trying to figure out a way to make it in the Florida Keys, rather than (for example) susie's entertainment of the extreme thought of moving from Iowa to Molokai.
        Based on her previous posts, I don't think she'd be interested.

Originally posted by susie View Post
        The climate is harsh most times of the year.
        Trading thunderstorms and tornadoes for thunderstorms (Florida is #1 in lightning deaths in America) and hurricanes may not be the greatest method for a change of lifestyle. What's more, Florida is crawling with former New Yorkers and Midwesterners!

The West Coast may be an acceptable consolation, but I'm not entirely convinced that this person quit their original idea.

Or hey, why not consider Goa, India? It wouldn't be too harsh outside of the monsoon season, and it would be cheap, and many there speak English. Plus, the Portuguese influence there (architecture, etc.) makes it seem like a relatively "familiar" place compared to the rest of the country. Sure it's international and far, but hey, Global Village!

Comment

For Vanguard: Goa! Even though Portugal was evicted from its colonial holdings (Goa, Daman, and Diu, among others) in India in 1961, RTP (national TV of Portugal) still produces a segment called "Contacto Goa", which is one of the many Contacto segments it produces, i.e., Contacto Azores, Contacto Macau, Contacto Mozambique, etc. Evidently, there are still enough Portuguese living in Goa, long after India forced Portugal from this enclave, to warrent the production of a show specifically for them. I don't speak a lick of Portuguese, (other than rudimentary basics like "bom dia"), but I watch the Contacto Goa show when it airs on RTP, just to see the videos of Goa. (My cable company provides RTP as a channel). Like you mentioned, Goa is still heavily influnced by the vestiges of Portugal. There is even a town there called Vasco Da Gama, often called Vasco for short. I'd love to visit Goa someday to expereince the melding of Indian and Portugese culture in south Asia. I recently visited Macau (and Hong Kong) in south China for same reason (Decmeber '07) and that trip was unforgettable.

Going back to susie: One thing I've noted about anywhere we perceive worth living elsewhere, better than where we are now anyway, is that it for sure has something negative about it in the weather department. Vermont is a drop-dead gorgeous state, but the winters (obviously) are awful. Southern California has wildfires in summer and landslides during the rainy season. Not to mention the potential of earthquakes. Hawaii, as evidenced last December during that winter storm (about December 11th or so), is subject to torrential rains and flooding of its streams. Fact is, no place on earth is immune, weather-wise, from something that makes it a perfect place to live. No locale is a perfect nirvana. Key West may have its occasional hurricanes (far fewer than the Florida mainland), but I would bet susie would rather deal with a hurricane hitting there, rather than deal with a winter, which will come without fail and seemingly lasts forever. I think she'd think it's easier to deal with 80 degress in February in Key West than 15 degrees and wind chills in Iowa. And if Florida is indeed, as you put it, crawling with "....Midwesterners"...well, seeing she was originally from Missouri, and at last report living in Iowa, she'd probably feel right at home!
          Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; August 22, 2009, 09:14 AM.

Comment

... far from the Iowa she is evidently isn't all that happy being a part of.
            FWIW, I was just back there for a visit this past week, including the Iowa State Fair. Not such a bad place after all. Even the AF from Kane`ohe recognizes the beauty that is there.

Comment

About Iowa:
              Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Not such a bad place after all.
              Indeed it isn't. Remember, I'm a farmer. Iowa has some of the richest, most arable soil on earth. Not a bad place to be at all if one's vocation is agriculture. If I recall correctly, Iowa, in a Native language (can't remember which one) means "The Beautiful Land". For the record, I'm not one to bash Iowa. I like the state. Been to it many times, from Dubuque to Council Bluffs. I could envision myself living there.

The comment I made about susie's desire to be away from Iowa is based directly on statements she has made about it in this thread. I can't speak for susie (I wish she'd check-in and give us an update on her plans), but I'm thinking she has a case of the "Grass is Greener on Another Island" syndrome, which is a malady most of us have suffered in one form of at one time.

Speaking of Iowa, do you remember a television series that CBS produced in the early 70's called "Apple's Way"? It was a series that dealt with the daily trials of a young family living in the Fort Madison, Iowa area. I remember that this show, at times, presented Iowa in such a idyllic fashion that many who watched the show wished they could live the Iowa lifestyle portrayed. The series, for a time, made the concept of homesteading in Iowa an attractive one.

Comment

Fact is, no place on earth is immune, weather-wise, from something that makes it a perfect place to live. No locale is a perfect nirvana.
                That is true! It may be fully realized when someone has done a bit of traveling, and of course, as you said in your post, some weather conditions are easier to bear than others.

And if Florida is indeed, as you put it, crawling with "....Midwesterners"...well, seeing she was originally from Missouri, and at last report living in Iowa, she'd probably feel right at home!
                And that's likely what she does not want to feel, given that she expressed being drawn to Molokai in order to get away from it all. Although, being outside of a traditional tourist role for the very first time in a completely unfamiliar place may change one's mind.

I enjoyed reading your passage about Goa. I too would like to see it sometime!

Comment

McAfee's story in the NYT attracted a few critical & unsympathetic comments. He responded to them:
                  http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...s/?ref=economy

I don't know how much he's learned from the experience but it sounds like it's definitely been more than he was ready to handle.

I wonder how his former Molokai neighbors feel about his change in wealth and these latest reflections on his experiences...

After getting McAfee's million-dollar boat infusion, I imagine Belize is inclined to look favorably on his desire to reside there for a while. I guess he wasn't inspired to offer it to any of Hawaii's harbor staff.
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Iowa has some of the richest, most arable soil on earth. Not a bad place to be at all if one's vocation is agriculture. If I recall correctly, Iowa, in a Native language (can't remember which one) means "The Beautiful Land".
                    I grew up an urban kid, but there is great joy in heading out into the fields of Iowa. The gently rolling stretches of green from horizon to horizon, the sound of red-winged blackbirds singing each to each, the changing scent of the air as a cooling wind comes through on a previously-still, hot day...Another translation calls it "Place of Peace."
                    I'm thinking she has a case of the "Grass is Greener on Another Island" syndrome, which is a malady most of us have suffered in one form of at one time.
                    You nailed it, I believe. If we are fortunate, we reach a point in our lives where we find beauty, joy and peace wherever we happen to be. If our lives have negative aspects, they are likely to follow us no matter where we run.
                    Speaking of Iowa, do you remember a television series that CBS produced in the early 70's called "Apple's Way"?
                    I have only the vaguest memory of it - but you might have triggered something, thanks.

Comment

Don't forget to bring a fire extinguisher...

Comment

Hardy Har Har.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Well, Random, if you are on your computer and have access, things are looking up. Praying for a great big rainstorm for you all (just enough to douse the fires....)

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                            Well, Random, if you are on your computer and have access, things are looking up. Praying for a great big rainstorm for you all (just enough to douse the fires....)
                            Well, it's not the biggest wildfire in Molokai history. We just have so many houses now, in places where there weren't any when I graduated (back in '87).

As for me, I'm safe. Although I lived near where the fire started above the town, the fire has to go through so many houses in a downhill direction (townbound) to get to mine. It didn't. *knocks on wood*

Funny, how this on Molokai prompted the entire state to go on a Fire Weather Watch.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                            X