Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama - broken promises

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    I can tell you who is in charge. They are (in random order): the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), the Bilderberg Group, the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPP), the Trilateral Commission and the military-industrial complex.
    Ah, the old conspiracy theory. I wouldn't know where to begin.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      I was waiting for this response! Thank you FM!

Despite what the price of oil is or was, Obama could still enact a windfall profits tax that would go into effect when oil climbs back to a certain level. That is called being proactive and sends a strong message to the economy. How do I know that he won't do that iin the future? Because the proposal has been quietly dropped from his economic program without any public announcement. He and his staff know that he is renegging on a key piece of his platform.

This is going to be interesting.
      Is Obama's windfall profit tax singling out only oil companies or every corporations, foreign and domestic, that operate on US soil?

Or is that our economy is now measured by oil?
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I was waiting for this response!
        Yeah, shuuuure you were.

Despite what the price of oil is or was, Obama could still enact a windfall profits tax that would go into effect when oil climbs back to a certain level. That is called being proactive and sends a strong message to the economy. How do I know that he won't do that iin the future? Because the proposal has been quietly dropped from his economic program without any public announcement. He and his staff know that he is renegging on a key piece of his platform.
        With every post you make, you further reveal to everybody else just how far off you are in la-la land.

You have no idea just how bad of a recession we are now in. You think that everything is going to rebound honky-dory in a year's time? Or even 2 years?

The price of oil and the issue of windfall profits for the petroleum companies will not be a concern during Obama's first term. The concern will be on unemployment and deflation. If those things gets out of control, we'll be in a full-blown depression. Under that catastrophic economic condition, the oil companies (as well as every other industry) would be in deep trouble for a long time to come.

But hey. You keep on your vigil of ranting and screaming about windfall profits that the oil companies will "possibly" make during an Obama presidency. And while you're being "proactive," why don't you also tell everybody to repent before God destroys this world?
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Yeah, shuuuure you were.
          Yep, I were.

With every post you make, you further reveal to everybody else just how far off you are in la-la land.
          THAT'S A DANG LIE, DAGNABBIT! I'm actually off in Never-Never Land!

You have no idea just how bad of a recession we are now in. You think that everything is going to rebound honky-dory in a year's time? Or even 2 years?
          I don't?

I do?

Do I hear 5 years? Anyone give me a five?

The price of oil and the issue of windfall profits for the petroleum companies will not be a concern during Obama's first term.
          He said they would be on the campaign trail.

The concern will be on unemployment and deflation. If those things gets out of control, we'll be in a full-blown depression.
          Some economists say we're already there.

Under that catastrophic economic condition, the oil companies (as well as every other industry) would be in deep trouble for a long time to come.
          Yes, and ask for part of the bailout money just like other big businesses are doing!

But hey. You keep on your vigil of ranting and screaming about windfall profits that the oil companies will "possibly" make during an Obama presidency.
          Thank you for permission to exercise my freedom of speech. You may want to put me on your ignore list.

And while you're being "proactive," why don't you also tell everybody to repent before God destroys this world?
          I consider repentance and your relationship with god to be a personal matter, so I will leave proselytizing to others. Actually, I think homo sapiens is doing a pretty good job of destroying the world without god's help!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yes, and ask for part of the bailout money just like other big businesses are doing!
            They might if they hadn't stopped being American businesses and relocated out of country.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Some economists say we're already there.
              If that's the case (the economy being in a full-blown depression), then why in the world are you so obsessively worried about big oil making windfall profits?

Gotta learn to keep your arguments in alignment there.

You may want to put me on your ignore list.
              Yikes! You don't want me commenting on your posts anymore? Have I gone too far with my rhetoric?

Mmmmmm. (moment of introspection)

Nah, don't think so!

Actually, I think homo sapiens is doing a pretty good job of destroying the world without god's help!
              I totally agree with this point!

If only your outlook on the economy was just as astute.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The reality of the economy is rooted in Demographics.

The number of folks born between '46 and '64 is gigantic. It's overwhelming to an economy as these people become less valuable, and less contributing, to commerce.

As they retire, and place further pressure upon the next 2 generations below (which includes me), implosion of the economy is certain.

So how to fix it?

Start increasing the retirement age IMMEDIATELY. Increase it faster, and keep these folks in the economy. Improve the incentive for folks already on Social Security to go out and get a job by not lessening their Social Security so much.

Repeal, or reduce by a percentage, mandatory yearly spending increases on Congressional budget programs.

Invest HUGE into energy production from non-fossil based sources. This item needs an FDR WPA flavor to it. And let these improvements come without the expensive red tape developed over the last 35 years. Energy is a large part of the economy, and therefore the easiest way to reduce costs.

I think 5 years is very optimistic. This could drag on for about 15 years.

I wrote an Econ paper in 1987 describing a lot of this. The "Pig in the Python" is nearing the end. It's gonna hurt.

Great Presidents have made the most unpopular decisions. Media skewered them at the time, but history has been very kind to them.
                Last edited by timkona; December 4, 2008, 05:01 PM. Reason: grammar, syntax, and Bob Jones.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  If that's the case (the economy being in a full-blown depression), then why in the world are you so obsessively worried about big oil making windfall profits?
                  Nope, just worked up about Obama keeping his promises or giving an explanation why his plan has changed.........which he hasn't.

Gotta learn to keep your arguments in alignment there.
                  My arguments will be in alignment only when the stars are in alignment. By golly, that is Jupiter and Venus up there tonight!

Yikes! You don't want me commenting on your posts anymore? Have I gone too far with my rhetoric?
                  'Course not. You're so irrisistable and cute when you're all lathered up!

I totally agree with this point!
                  I'm feeling faint! Someone get me a chair. Where's the smelling salts? Ya betcha, wink, wink.

If only your outlook on the economy was just as astute.
                  I wish I still had the wisdom of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    The reality of the economy is rooted in Demographics.
                    Oh Boy, oversimplification.

The number of folks born between '46 and '64 is gigantic. It's overwhelming to an economy as these people become less valuable, and less contributing, to commerce.
                    Whew.......I'm glad I didn't fall within those demographics!

As they retire, and place further pressure upon the next 2 generations below (which includes me), implosion of the economy is certain.
                    An oversimplification that is rapidly changing.

So how to fix it?
                    THIS should be good!

Start increasing the retirement age IMMEDIATELY. Increase it faster, and keep these folks in the economy. Improve the incentive for folks already on Social Security to go out and get a job by not lessening their Social Security so much.
                    Yep, you got it Tim, keep these people in the working economy so that it will make it more difficult for people like you to compete!

Repeal, or reduce by a percentage, mandatory yearly spending increases on Congressional budget programs.
                    HUH?

Invest HUGE into energy production from non-fossil based sources. This item needs an FDR WPA flavor to it. And let these improvements come without the expensive red tape developed over the last 35 years. Energy is a large part of the economy, and therefore the easiest way to reduce costs.
                    Okay, flesh that out for me.

I think 5 years is very optimistic. This could drag on for about 15 years.
                    Frankie gave me 2. Tim gives me 5. Do I hear 15? Anyone give me 15?

I wrote an Econ paper in 1987 describing a lot of this. The "Pig in the Python" is nearing the end. It's gonna hurt.
                    Hoop-de-doo......and I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. If I were grading your paper based on what you have outlined above, I would give it a "C."

Great Presidents have made the most unpopular decisions. Media skewered them at the time, but history has been very kind to them.
                    Who are on your list of "great Presidents?" Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Lincoln - very unpopular decision that started the bloodiest war in the history of our nation.

Truman - very controversial decision that ended WWII in the Pacific.

Reagan - ending the Cold War via military spending

FDR used WPA programs to spend government revenues putting Americans to work building large scale infrastructure. Many damns, roads, public buildings, parks, flood control projects, etc.

I got an A on that paper. It was much longer than 8 paragraphs.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Ah. Your paper was longer and more detailed than Hank Paulson's 3 page plan for the bailout?

Could it be? Tim has set the GOP standard for thoroughness in economic analysis.

Comment

Many damns,
                          Would that be cursing cubed, or cursing squared?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            They might if they hadn't stopped being American businesses and relocated out of country.
                            Kinda like Anheuser-Busch®, only they probably won’t need a bailout, now that more of us are drowning in our sorrows.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                              While I believe he was the much better choice for a figurehead, we have to remember that is all he is. The explanation is......... those in charge won't let him do that. No matter what the issue at hand is. Unless of course, it suits their needs.
                              That premise is not substantiated by a history of Presidential leadership.
                              Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              I would contest that the premise isn’t substantiated by the history of Presidential leadership.
                              Lincoln - very unpopular decision that started the bloodiest war in the history of our nation.

Truman - very controversial decision that ended WWII in the Pacific.

FDR used WPA programs to spend government revenues putting Americans to work building large scale infrastructure. Many damns, roads, public buildings, parks, flood control projects, etc.
                              Yes, Tim, this is the point I was trying to make in the posts above. Lincoln, FDR, and Truman (among some other Presidents) made unpopular decisions without popular support. They showed true leadership at the risk to their political career. I would disagree with Reagan. I don't believe history will be kind to him other than to say that he was one of the most popular Presidents during and shortly after the time he served

Let's see......that paper was written in 1987, applying "grade inflation" to a paper 20 years old would make it worth a "C" today. Obviously, you didn't follow the conclusions in your own paper since then, otherwise you would own the whole island of Hawai'i today!

Just havin' a good time with ya Tim, wink, wink.

Comment

The Cold War is over? With Russia and China? Not from the news I read...

Comment

Working...
                                X