Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cellphone users

Originally posted by helen View Post
    It's just better for one to leave the movie theater quietly to make or take that phone call.
    Yep. Who is (in reality, not just in their own minds) such an important person that they can't be out of contact for a short while, long enough to attend a public event? Medical and emergency personnel - that's about all I can think of. Anyone else in a key position (like on-call IT people, for another example) should perhaps put off their movie-going until a time they are not on-call. The medical folks I know who go out to movies, theatre, concerts and the like, always put their phones in vibrate mode, and also would leave their seat immediately in order to hear their important call without distraction.

Comment

i absolutely hate those that talk on the phone in an airplane, they usually talk until the last possible moment and then turn on their phones and start again when they land....and they usually just say something stupid like " i've landed"
      cant they just waot 3 minutes till they are off the plane? i love it on japan airlines where the phones are to be off at all times once you board.
      that phone interference thing in hospitals has been debunked by mythbusters also the one in gas stations...however one instance of it causing problems would be one too many.
      in britain they have constructed theatres with a copper web around them preventing any cell reception. in the us some have tried the same but it is illegal her to block any cell signals.... they sell little boxes on the internet that will block cell signals for a 6, 10 or 20 foot radius....i would love one of those.
      the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
        in britain they have constructed theatres with a copper web around them preventing any cell reception. in the us some have tried the same but it is illegal her to block any cell signals.... they sell little boxes on the internet that will block cell signals for a 6, 10 or 20 foot radius....i would love one of those.
        Blocking signals though shielding is not illegal. Jamming it though use of that little box is.

Comment

There are those annoying instances where someone is at the checkout counter or with a teller at the bank and they're talking on their cell phone!

Can't they just hold off for a couple of minutes, get their business done properly, THEN talk to someone?

Perhaps some people have lost their sense of courtesy. Something as simple as "paying attention" has become an anachronism to these folks.

Comment

I was thinking that movie theaters themselves should have much more obvious sign about cell phone usage before the movie starts. The one currently playing at Consolidated is a line of text on the bottom of a commerical for phones. They should at least update the sign that says "No smoking by the order of the Fire Marhasal." and put a more obvious "No phone calls" allowed in the theater there.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
              that phone interference thing in hospitals has been debunked by mythbusters also the one in gas stations...however one instance of it causing problems would be one too many.
              exactly. which is why many hospitals, including the one i work at, limit cell phone use to certain areas.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The original problem here, though, is people texting or playing games on their cells while in a theater. The light is way too bright.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  Why all the aggression towards cellphone users? If someone wants to waste their $10 movie ticket by playing with their phone for 2 hours, I'm not mad at them... I feel sorry for them!
                  If they can do it out of sight so it won't distract me from watching the movie ... and thus won't waste my $12 ... that's fine by me. It is distracting because of their lit-up screens in front of me, as well as unnecessary noise like giggling that don't even jive with the [comedy] films.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I was thinking that movie theaters themselves should have much more obvious sign about cell phone usage before the movie starts. The one currently playing at Consolidated is a line of text on the bottom of a commerical for phones. They should at least update the sign that says "No smoking by the order of the Fire Marhasal." and put a more obvious "No phone calls" allowed in the theater there.
                    Nah, they should fry all cell phones in theater rooms that are left on or turned on while inside.

Comment

Arrgh, again! At the preview of "Gran Torino" tonight the bonehead right next to me pulled out a cell and began texting. I gave him a minute -- in case he was an emergency-services brain surgeon being consulted -- then asked him to put it away. He refused, saying because it wasn't ringing, no one was being bothered. Well, it's bothering ME. So? he responded, then told me to go fark myself, because I was the one being rude by speaking to him during the film. Threats of getting the manager didn't faze him. I finally embarrassed him by putting my arm up in the air so my hand could block the glare of his screen.

It was pretty nasty, and clearly there are people who can't handle behaving politely in a public theatre.

Theater managers need to tell audiences that ALL cellphone activity should be suspended, not just putting phones on vibrate.

Oh, there was some knucklehead a few rows away playing a GameBoy during the film. Jeez.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                        He refused, saying because it wasn't ringing, no one was being bothered. Well, it's bothering ME. So? he responded, then told me to go fark myself, because I was the one being rude by speaking to him during the film.
                        Yeah, he is probably that same guy who is the neighbor who says to fark yourself if you request him to keep his dog quiet.
                        Or if you ask that he not bump into your car door with his car door in the parking lot.
                        Or if you ask that he not butt in line in front of you when he spots some friend up there to join.
                        The world if full of idiots. Even in the movie theater.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Probably a long minute to the people behind you blinded by the cellphone light.
                          Shucks. I hope not .
                          Aches & Pains
                          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            At least a smoker will say, "Mind if I smoke" before lighting up a cigarette. As Steve Martin once said, "Mind if I fut?"

OMG!!. That is so funny !!. I gotta remember that. Thanks for the good chuckle.
                            Aches & Pains

Comment

I doubt it that saying "I am going to make a phone call" in the middle of a movie is going to make the situation any better.

It's just better for one to leave the movie theater quietly to make or take that phone call.

Now, that's something good to remember by. Thanks.

I actually did that one time (long ago), when I had an actual call, & I just took it outside of the theater door, & once I was finished, I came right back inside the theater & continued watching my movie.
                              Aches & Pains

Comment

Threats of getting the manager didn't faze him.
                                Don't threaten to get the theater manager or usher. Get the theater manager or usher.

Comment

Working...
                                X