Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weather Alerts: High Surf, High Winds

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    I hope you're kidding. Those warnings definitely -- and obviously -- fall in the "better safe than sorry" category.
    In any event, the high wind warning has just been cancelled.
    Lika (if you don't mind me abbreviating your name) I TOTALLY agree with you. It is better to be safe than sorry! My neighbor said to me the same sentiment as the other poster when I was out walking Manele & Koele, "so, you'd rather have disaster and damage than nothing happening, that's too weird" is what I said to her, she just shrugged and walked away.

The past few days furniture and an umbrella had flown into the pool and the yard now looks like it's abandoned due to everything put in places where the wind can't get to it.
    We have a shear opening in the valley here where even other houses in our neighborhood don't get some rogue winds like we have at our house.

Being a weather person is a great job, you never have to be correct and you still get paid. Oh, I know it's a hard job but it's still kind of odd to think about that.

And I am proud of myself, it's the first time I ever got a quote thing right! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! So a hui hou and signing off from the beautiful windward side where a torrent of rain is coming down as I write!

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
      soo wheres the storm. talk about hyping this thing up..

its what the media does. Scaring the crap of their audience and hyping things up to sell papers or get viewers.
      Let's see...

High wind warnings were posted -- fact.
      Schools were closed -- fact.
      Authorities were concerned about high winds and possible flooding -- fact.

So, "the media" dutifully reports all of this, as they should, and that's "hyping things up?"

I don't think the media is to blame here (actually nobody is really to "blame," I'm of the better safe than sorry school, myself), but rather "the officials" who up and closed things.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Comment

Definitely better safe than sorry! Maybe they're remembering the horrible storm last month and don't want to be responsible for any drivers out in it?

Anyway, J is horribly sick, so the cancellation was a total God-send since he can't take any days off. Yay for cautious weathermen! (And don't ask about the no days off...that's just how they roll down there)

And I know the whole "Turn around; don't drown!" is rhyming and catchy, and hopefully has saved people's lives, but it really is a kinda awful slogan when you sit there and think about it.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

West side is a little bit of everything today! Very sloppy surf but not big. Sun is out now but it just finished pouring. Fairly windy with an occasional gust but I've been thru worse.

I just got home after taking my lunch up to Makaha Beach. One, lonely surfer was out but only catching shore break. There were occasional 5-6 footers outside but blown out, choppy, sloppy and all kapakahi! There were a few die-hard beach goers trying to catch the in and out rays. Same for in front of my hale.

I'm lovin' the unrelenting sound of the ocean. But I'm not lovin' how damp everything has become inside. Even my car, inside a parking structure and blocked from the ocean spray by a building, is wet on the outside and damp on the inside.

I'd like to thank the media for their "hyping". It caused me to pay attention and prepare for what I hoped would be nothing. Where was picture-in-picture when I needed it yesterday?! Forty miles southeast, that's where!

ETA:
          I spoke too soon! A big increase in wind just hit along with rain...not just a gust.
          Last edited by tutusue; January 16, 2009, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, TS...that's when it got ugly over here, too. Pouring rain constantly with steady wind now. The surf has lowered a little, but still stacked closely and rolling in. It's been worse for the last two-three hours that it has been all night for us. Coming home at oh-dark-thirty last night, occasional gusts I estimate around 30-40mph but I was seeing some stars and no rain.

Comment

I hope people don't taunt and trash talk against nature for not having strong enough winds this time. That's bulletin board material for nature the next time, and it will bring out its "A" game and come out angry with destruction.

Comment

Today the NSSA (national scholastic surfing association) is having a contest at the Ocean Beach pier and if you google into Ocean Beach Web Cam you will eventually find a web cam that has an excellent view of the event. You can control it. The very large Hawaiian waves are expected to arrive here around noon, in time for the finals, nice and smoothed out, with light offshore winds, excellent conditions for a contest for once. Only problem, its mostly a beach break. It could be pretty intense if the waves hit the predicted 16 ft. there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                  Today the NSSA (national scholastic surfing association) is having a contest at the Ocean Beach pier and if you google into Ocean Beach Web Cam you will eventually find a web cam that has an excellent view of the event. You can control it. The very large Hawaiian waves are expected to arrive here around noon, in time for the finals, nice and smoothed out, with light offshore winds, excellent conditions for a contest for once. Only problem, its mostly a beach break. It could be pretty intense if the waves hit the predicted 16 ft. there.
                  There are a couple of Ocean Beach webcams...San Diego and San Francisco. This one in SD appears to be the right one...contest tents and shore break! Technology is just so amazing!

Comment

(Hawaii) Schools as well as most state and city offices were shut

This is supposedly based on the recent weather issues, so I posted the link here.

Comment

Anyone feel the need to wear a sweater at night?

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                        It was a little cool last night, extra blanket.

News said that yesterday, or night before last, the winds coming over the top of Mauna Kea reached 100mph.

Comment

Storm force 10 winds last night in England. My wig blew off twice

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                            [...]
                            I thought the night before last was colder. I had to close all the windows, turn off the ceiling fans and climb under a sheet, blanket and bedspread! Loved it! Great sleeping weather.

Last night, in town, the only change was to turn off the A/C! It's still off and I have a window open about 6". It's a little chilly but feels good.

Hmmm...I don't own a sweater!

Comment

It's certainly been cooler. Nice, as long as you have enough blankets to cover the bed.

Comment

This is a little bit late, I know, but I wanted to tell you how I figured out there were high waves Thursday, without the weather reports, and all the way from the mainland side:

Every day I go look at one of my favorite web cam sites, the whale watching website for Jupiter Foundation, at Puako, Big Island. In case you don't know it, or go there, it is an awesome self-moving cam in the harbor there, panning side to side.... ok, so I go looking, and as the camera is pointed out to the far view, all goes dark. Eh, is it broke? I think something happened, and wait for it to pan left, more dark, then I see some water..... huh? how'd this happen?

This camera is now sandy. I had been looking underwater at inside the wave all this time. I watch some more, and see the big waves smacking into this poor camera. They (Jupiter) may have more than a few, but all had the sandy lens, and the waves were very high, to reach these cameras. Never had they been wet or dirty before. Then I knew, I was seeing the big waves hit, firsthand, and an insider's peek.

No whales! I was too freaked out to turn my speakers on to listen to whale songs right then, but now I wish I had... What would those poor whales be singing? Wow, those north shore Puako waves made a mess of the whale watching station camera setup. I hope the cameras aren't ruined; I didn't have a chance to go back and see during daylight hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X