Kapolei Theater -worst on Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapolei Theater -worst on Oahu?

Okay, maybe Kapolei Theater isn't the worst. But one has to admit that this particular theater has some serious flaws.

1) Bathroom distance - The only bathrooms are in the lobby. Seperating the lobby from the screens is a pretty long ramp. If you happen to be watching a movie on a screen that is far, far down the corridor, it's a pretty long hike to the bathroom. Too bad the theater designers didn't see fit to add a pair of bathrooms to each wing of the corridor.

2) Seating - Alas, Kapolei was one of the last major multiplexes built here that does not have stadium-style seating. Pray that on a crowded night, someone with a huge head doesn't suddenly plop down in the seat in front of you.

I wonder if anyone else shares my pet peeves/disdain for Kapolei 16?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Kapolei Theater -worst on Oahu?

I have only been to the Kapolei Theater once and that was a few years ago. However for the non-stadium seating multiplex, Kahala doesn't have stadium seating.

Comment

For the prices they charge for movies, I have to say that anything with less amenities than the the 2 major multiplexes in urban Honolulu is not worth springing $7.50 to nearly $10 a pop on a movie. Better to wait it out for a DVD and watch the movie in the comfort of your own home.

On another note, one theater that I don't complain much about even though it is kind of lousy is the Restaurant Row one. For a dollar a movie there is nothing much to complain about. Sure the sound is sucky, the theater crowded, the screen is small, sometimes they chop off the end credits, and the floor is sticky. But hey... $1 for a movie, not too bad.

The only other better bargain is a week rental DVD for a $1 at the public library. Or a free movie that you can borrow from a friend and watch it on your own TV.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I like the Kapolei Theater - whenever we go, there's usually like 4 other people in the theater with us (I hate watching movies in crowded theaters). I don't care about the location of the restrooms because we usually only use them on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          [...]
          The only other better bargain is a week rental DVD for a $1 at the public library. Or a free movie that you can borrow from a friend and watch it on your own TV.
          And for those who can't live without owning their favorite movies, there's half.com. Love that site!

A friend of mine who was a gaming addict used to buy her games from this site, play 'em til she was sick of 'em, then resell them on half.com for a little more than she paid for 'em! It's also a good site for books. But, I drift...

I've never been to the Kapolei theaters!

Comment

The theaters in Hawaii Kai I think you have to go downstairs to the bathroom which is a pain.

Aj

Comment

Ever since I bought my Sony Bravia 120HZ Big screen, along with matching Sony HDMI home theater and Blu-ray disc player, I have no use for brick and mortar movie theaters.

Blu-ray + Big Screen HDTV is way better than the movie theater experience in my opinion. Just incredible. I get amazed at every new Blu-ray movie I pop in. It almost makes me cry it's so beautiful.

And I can eat all the hot dogs and popcorn I want without emptying my wallet.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

On another note, one theater that I don't complain much about even though it is kind of lousy is the Restaurant Row one. For a dollar a movie there is nothing much to complain about. Sure the sound is sucky, the theater crowded, the screen is small, sometimes they chop off the end credits, and the floor is sticky. But hey... $1 for a movie, not too bad.
                The $1 price is the main reason why I rank Restaurant Row over Kapolei. That,.... and of course, the bathrooms are much closer.

Well, let's put it in perspective here. Even the smallest Restaurant Row screen will dwarf any big-screen TV you can find at Best Buy. And the "sucky" sound? Maybe it is in comparison to the SOTA theaters we have here, but I'm willing to bet that Restaurant Row's system is still leaps-and-bounds better than the vast majority of home theater set-ups.

The main advantages that watching a movie at home would have over Restaurant Row would be food/drink prices and not having to tolerate other people's noise (cell phones, baby crying, etc.) But then again, these "cons" exist at every other theater.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  I have only been to the Kapolei Theater once and that was a few years ago. However for the non-stadium seating multiplex, Kahala doesn't have stadium seating.
                  Neither does Pearlridge West. But Kahala and Pearlridge's multiplexes were built during the 1980s. This was a decade before amenities like stadium seating and THX certification were a de rigueur of the moviegoing experience. At least those facilities were competitive for the time they were built.

The same cannot be said for Restaurant Row and Kapolei, both of which opened during the '90s. When Signature (now Regal) Cinema entered the Hawaii market with the Pearl Highlands and Dole Cannery multiplexes, it quite literally rendered those relatively new Consolidated (Kapolei) and Wallace (Rest. Row) theaters obsolete overnight.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 1, 2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

But hey... $1 for a movie, not too bad.

The only other better bargain is a week rental DVD for a $1 at the public library. Or a free movie that you can borrow from a friend and watch it on your own

Whoa, they still charge?!?

Remember frequenting the main library a lot but DVD was not around yet and the selections where pretty much this is what we have.

As for the public libraries here in CA, No Fee but there is a limit and fee attached if you are late.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      And for those who can't live without owning their favorite movies, there's half.com. Love that site!
                      thanks for the recommendation!!!
                      stay forever young

Comment

Working...
                      X