• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milk has gone SPAM

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    From this website:

http://www.idfa.org/facts/milk/pasteur.cfm

Comes these facts:
    Ah. Interesting info, Kaonohi. Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by Expat Kamaaina View Post
    our prices for SPAM are very high as is the cost for vienna sausages.
    Oh lordy. Does that mean SPAM will be considered a gourmet item some day?
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

"Bout Time!!

Comment

Sam's Club was giving out free samples of square milk, to assure customers the quality was the same. There was quite a crowd gathered around. Perhaps they were curious if it was Made in China milk
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "

Comment

Thanks, Kaonohi, for the link and for explaining that to us... I was freaked out by the box milk, and wanted to try, but too afraid it would taste funny. I like the idea of it alot... don't drink it, but to use on cocoa pebbles and mashed potatoes... Will give a try!

sb

Comment

One downside to square milk jugs:

the need constantly wipe dribble from the side of the container, or place a paper towel under it, in the fridge.
            "

Comment

A comic brought up the scenario of the first person who drank cow's milk. Who would drink what comes out of what's hanging down from a cow?

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                One downside to square milk jugs:

the need constantly wipe dribble from the side of the container, or place a paper towel under it, in the fridge.
                OOhh! I hate that!!

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                A comic brought up the scenario of the first person who drank cow's milk. Who would drink what comes out of what's hanging down from a cow?
                The same ones who will drink what comes out of goats, camels or yaks, or the same ones that will eat eggs of many varieties...we are a creative species.

Yak yak yak!!
                **giggle/snort**

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  [...]I buy my salads pre-packaged, (Fresh Express) and noticed that they tend not to spoil (wilt, brown) until after they are opened. I figured that if you cut the salad and package it in an inert gas, like nitrogen, it would retard spoilage.[...]
                  I, too, have noticed that the pre-packaged greens stay fresh in their packaging for quite awhile. When I open the package I pour the greens into a vacuum canister and suck the air out after every use. The greens last at least 10 days.

Comment

eric and i buy 32 ounce boxes of borden's UHT (ultra high temp) skim milk from long's at about $2.50 a box. sometimes it goes on sale for $1.99 and i buy six boxes at one time because it stores so nicely.

since we don't drink milk daily, this is the perfect solution for us. taste-wise, it seems creamier than any other skim milk we've bought in the fridged section of the store, with the exception of skinny cow skim. unfortunately, we can't find skinny cow skim anywhere on oahu anymore, and we didn't see it on our maui holiday the weekend before christmas. we did try some organic milk brands while we were in oregon last year visiting my mom and the slight grassy taste of those milks took a little getting used to, given that we were raised on viva.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      Who would drink what comes out of what's hanging down from a cow?
                      Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                      The same ones who will drink what comes out of goats, camels or yaks, or the same ones that will eat eggs of many varieties...we are a creative species.
                      And the same ones who would pry open an oyster, see the puddle of coagulated loogie inside and think, "gee, I wonder what that tastes like?"

I'm not fond of milk either, fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        And the same ones who would pry open an oyster, see the puddle of coagulated loogie inside and think, "gee, I wonder what that tastes like?"

I'm not fond of milk either, fwiw.

guess y'all are lucky enough never to have been so hungry you'd eat anythin.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                          guess y'all are lucky enough never to have been so hungry you'd eat anythin.
                          Damn right. And if I am ever in that situation, yet find myself in an environment where oysters are to be had, I am glad that there will be other culinary options aside from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Damn right. And if I am ever in that situation, yet find myself in an environment where oysters are to be had, I am glad that there will be other culinary options aside from them.
                            but what if there were nothing else to eat for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles and miles around? how long do you think primal instincts would take over and keep you from turning your nose?

i only ask this because (a) i'm not a picky eater but (2) i like what i think tastes good and is cooked with some skill and (3) if i don't eat when i'm hungry, i turn into a demonic banshee.

given all of that, i wonder how long it would be before i caved and ate natto. ewwwwwwwwwwww.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                              but what if there were nothing else to eat for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles and miles around?
                              Well, my point was that oysters would not exist without anything else for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles and miles around (unless you are talking an oyster farm, and even then...); there would be other edibles in the sea I would prefer to harvest (from seaweed to fish).

I've not tried natto ... yet. But I probably will someday. I am a relatively selective (yeah - "picky" is the better word) eater, but I will usually try anything at least once, as I did a raw oyster. The texture and consistency was part of the issue. Now, cooked up on a hibachi (as you mentioned, "cooked with some skill") - you might get a different reaction outta me.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                                Oh, stop rubbing it in, you two

Yeah, our prices are crazy. Our cereals are pricey too. The joy of living on a remote island.
                                We could still build a ranch on Kahoolawe.
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X