Shake and Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shake and Quake!

Lingle did well. And lucky for her, she was as close as anyone could be to the epicenter of the quake. Imagine being in her shoes, in a hotel room on the Kona Gold Coast and deal with what she did? If anyone earned their bit of PR, she did.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      So where's Mufi? On his way back from Korea? We all Tingled With Lingle.
      I wonder... would you be praising Mufi if the circumstances were different, and Lingle was out of state in an official capacity while he was on the Big Island?

Maybe you tingle for Lingle, but she sure don't tickle my pickle.

Right place at the right time. And she did exactly what she was supposed to do when she declared an emergency and rallied the federal troops.

Glad to see at least one elected official not mess things up in an emergency. Pua'i is right: She earned that bit of PR yesterday.

Comment

One place Lingle forgot it seems was Honolulu International Airport where many people were stranded and no support system in place leaving many without food, water or clean toilets after hours at the terminals.

I understand those people could have simply walked out and gone somewhere else, but where? Not very many places open around the airport area on a Sunday morning. When Starbucks opened either that day or sometime this morning at the terminal, a tourist complained that Starbucks started price gouging customers for muffins raising the prices up a dollar with each passing moment it seems.

The airports need to be better equipped to deal with power outtages as indicated in this morning's coverage there.

I think Lingle had better add that to her to do list before re-election.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey, there was a tsunami after all!

Not that anyone'd notice. But considering we were at 6.6, and 7.2 was what smashed into Hilo in 1975 (IIRC), it's always good to know.

Civil defense is confident in stating they saw no tsunami threat within a few dozen minutes of the quake. Of course, quakes in the island chain move pretty quickly. And sometimes I wonder if the fancy siren system and the emergency broadcast system (which "takes over" local stations' signals) really would've worked yesterday if it had to.

If it was working, why not use that system to broadcast an all-clear? People were looking for tsunami information for over an hour after the quake, and had there been one by that point, many of them would be all wet.

Comment

The sirens don't broadcast an all-clear signal, that would normally come from the radio.

And one of the things that is said in the phone book, if you do feel a quake and are in the tsunami zone, just leave the area, don't wait for the sirens to go on.

Comment

You know what's pondering in my mind lately? Why does TV stations need to be up and running during an event like this, broadcasting info? Everyone I know has a battery powered FM radio, not a battery powered TV.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

To be fair, I don't really know if the Kamoku-Pukele line would've helped yesterday. An overtaxed system is an overtaxed system, and a hiccup might've brought everything down no matter what. Still, it was interesting going back to research and finding nuggets like these:
                Such a line is needed, Freedman said, "to protect against cataclysmic failure, when huge blocks of power are lost, possibly for long periods of time."

"If they do anything but drop it, we will fight them tooth and nail to the end," said Life of the Land Executive Director Henry Curtis. "Our power is very reliable right now -- 99.98 percent reliable, more reliable than mainland. The only reason to build this line is to give money to HECO's stockholders."

The Outdoor Circle, Life of the Land and Malama O Manoa have argued that the power line is not needed and that, if built, it would harm scenic views of the ridge.
                And that was a fight that stretched over 12 years. Whether we need a backup cross-Koolau transmission line or a new power station or two... how likely do you think either will be in the next decade? And how much more will the island population grow in that time. I don't think it'll be "99.98 percent reliable" for long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                  I think that's the corridor they planned to run directly over the UH-Manoa campus. Good thing it got shut down. Hopefully they come up with another plan to backup East Oahu's power.
                  What other plan can there be to a backup transmission line other than building a transmission line? Beaming the power over the air in the form of microwaves? Somehow, I think people will then protest that they may get roasted unevenly since they aren't on a rotating platter.

So the question I throw out is, would you rather live with little or no redundancy in your power grid? Just reading the various news media, some people took the outtage in stride and others were fuming over how long it took to bring the system back up.

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  In yesterday's case I don't think redundant tranmission lines would have helped. The problem was with the generators going off-line not tranmissions going down due to high winds (or poles going down due to earthquakes).
                  I'm not saying redundant transmission lines would be the definite solution to yesterday's problem. But I do wonder if there were redundant transmission lines, could the load balancing have been done better? Enough to avert the system shutting down all power? Only two generators shut down because it's seismic monitoring equipment registered enough movement to trigger the shutdown. But what happened afterwards was a chain reaction where the remaining generators could not meet demand. The two generators served 12 percent of Oahu. I would think only 12% without power is better than 100% any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007 View Post
                    I only heard one siren go off here in Hilo.
                    I was in Kakaako all of Sunday and I heard siren after siren. Almost sounded like the days of and immediately after 9/11. 'Course, it helps that my office is almost across the street from a fire dept.!

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    Curious how a Mainland regional affiliate covered us? Carter Evans of KOVR CBS 13 in Sacramento filed a report, mentioning that he grew up here, and even having the anchors interview his aunt, Laurie Kalles, in Honolulu.[...][/URL].
                    Thanks for the link, PZ. Yep, Carter was raised in Hawaii and had been reporting in the L.A. area. Was surprised to see that he'd moved to Sacramento. I really need to catch up with Laurie (Callies...the station spelled it wrong; hopefully not Carter!).

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                    How many people still have line-powered telephones? The kind that plug straight into the wall and don't need an electrical plug for the answering machine or the cordless battery?[...]
                    Just last year when one of my cordless phones went belly up I purchased a $9.99 hard wire phone from OfficeMax! That silly thing got me thru yesterday!

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                    The AP has a great shot of Honolulu as the power started to come back on, half lit and half in darkness.[...]
                    I went to a friends house in Hawaii Kai for dinner...everything cooked or heated on the 'barbie' (she's Australian!). When I was driving back to the office I saw the same image as in the photo. Power was on very selectively. No power along Kalanianaole Hwy...power on in Kahala...no power in Moiliili...power on in Makiki...a smattering of power in Kakaako...no power in my building...power on at the fire dept. headquarters directly across the street (altho' I'm reasonably sure that was generator driven because a constant humming sound ceased once my office power came back on at approx. 11pm).

Interesting day...to say the least! Fortunately for my friends who live in Koloko, their pole house is still standing but there's nothing left in any cupboard. Everything is all over the floor including all of her antique crystal.

I had no idea the magnitude of the event other than a power outage from a quake that didn't even rate on my Wow Scale (a result of being raised in California, I 'spose!). Then my cousin in Missouri called to check on me. I had to ask him why!!! That's when I learned what'd happened! That call was followed by calls from several friends and family on the mainland. I was stunned to learn that Hawaii was headline news! It was then that I looked at my daughter's itinerary and realized that last night she would reach the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaru...and had there been a catastrophe, well...I don't think there's cell phone reception at 19,300 feet!

I was very happy that my friends sons wedding was late Saturday and not yesterday! I was very happy I had a hand crank type flashlight. I was very upset with myself that I had enough C batteries for a small boom box but their expiration date was 2001! And, I felt really stupid when I realized too late that I had a hurricane kit within arms reach the whole day and never thought about it!!! That's where another radio and batteries reside! Since we weren't experiencing a hurricane my brain didn't register the kit! I didn't hear any of the P&P/KSSK coverage and truly wished I had. I had no internet access so <gasp> I pretty much finished up the 'spring' cleaning and picture hanging (not to mention straightening!) in my office...anything that didn't require electricity. I was supposed to work yesterday but didn't have enough battery juice left in my laptop to get much of anything done. I thoroughly enjoyed a whole day without computer usage!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      What other plan can there be to a backup transmission line other than building a transmission line? Beaming the power over the air in the form of microwaves? Somehow, I think people will then protest that they may get roasted unevenly since they aren't on a rotating platter.

So the question I throw out is, would you rather live with little or no redundancy in your power grid? Just reading the various news media, some people took the outtage in stride and others were fuming over how long it took to bring the system back up.

I'm not saying redundant transmission lines would be the definite solution to yesterday's problem. But I do wonder if there were redundant transmission lines, could the load balancing have been done better? Enough to avert the system shutting down all power? Only two generators shut down because it's seismic monitoring equipment registered enough movement to trigger the shutdown. But what happened afterwards was a chain reaction where the remaining generators could not meet demand. The two generators served 12 percent of Oahu. I would think only 12% without power is better than 100% any day.
                      I'm saying there's an alternative to putting power lines over a campus with 20,000+ students' heads at UH.

I don't even want to get into energy-related arguments--especially if it deals with Hawaii's electric companies. But anyway, I'm sorry for going off-topic from this thread.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        I hear Kona Home Depot had product all over the floors. Not a good place to be when an earthquake rattles the store. Those 12 and 16-foot steel racks are top loaded with the heavy stuff (table saws and stuff) to keep them off the floor so there's room for the more faster moving products. I think we may need to reaccess that policy.
                        Oh my, but on the other hand the Kona Lowes hardly had any damage inside
                        their store. We had to go over there to buy ladders to check our ceiling after
                        the quake.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

We solved the where are the &**())_*(U&^*( batteries for those Y*)(_*(*(&^&^&*()_+ flashlights and radios by buying magneto-powered flashlights. Some models have hand cranks (old technology) and the ones with the newer technology you just have to shake to activate. Keep one of these flashlights next to your bed (seems like most disasters that don't give you warning happen in the middle of the night or when you're still in bed).

We bought a pair of these flashlights from Costco, but they can be found elsewhere, like at Amazon stores. The extra up front expense of these will be more than mitigated by not having to ever worry about having to test/change batteries. You could probably call your local American Red Cross branch to see what emergency supplies and equipment they carry.

We also have solar powered/magneto multiband radios in each of our cars in case we get caught on the road and tents and camp stoves and sleeping bags and some water and freeze dried food. We have disaster kits for the pets (the saddest part of the Katrina tragedy was all the pets that were left behind to fend for themselves).

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            Funny how rainwater runoff from Hokulia was but a trickle of mud compared to the massive rock slide and dust cloud from an earthquake.
                            Tim, let us know what you see. It seems to me this landslide caused more
                            damage than that Hokulia mudslide.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              Funny you should mention Oahu being overbuilt, PZ. According to the geophysicist quoted in these earthquake FAQs on MSNBC, the weight of the islands do have some bearing on this particular type of earthquake (tectonic rather than volcanic).

http://www.hunterbishop.com/display/...reatorId=95814

Sunday’s earthquake was the largest in Hawaii since the Kalapana earthquake in 1975, and may have hastened the rate that the island is sinking into the sea.

The Big Island is slowly sinking due to its great weight that bends the outer rigid layer of the earth, according to the 2005 County of Hawaii General Plan. As the volcanoes grow, their weight is greater than what the earth can support.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                                You know what's pondering in my mind lately? Why does TV stations need to be up and running during an event like this, broadcasting info? Everyone I know has a battery powered FM radio, not a battery powered TV.
                                There are radios that can recieve the audio from a TV station plus there might be places that are running on generators to run TV sets. Also when the power comes back on to a neighborhood more than likey they might turn on a TV.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                I was in Kakaako all of Sunday and I heard siren after siren. Almost sounded like the days of and immediately after 9/11. 'Course, it helps that my office is almost across the street from a fire dept.!
                                I take it this was fire or police sirens as opposed to Civil Defense sirens?

Comment

Working...
                                X