Airfare Bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airfare Bargains

I've been seeing mention more and more often of some remarkable airfares this fall. West Coast for $220. Newark for $450. I didn't believe it until I really started looking... and ended up booking a round-trip for my wife from Honolulu to Orlando for $405. (About $470 after taxes and fees.) Incredible!

We're always watching HNL-MCO flights, and are used to seeing $1,200 fares. And we recently traveled from HNL-SAN for Comic Con, paying over $800 round trip. To think you can get to the East Coast for half what it cost to get to Southern California is just mind boggling.

For what it's worth, we found the fare on Travelocity, but they're popping up all over. Sign up for alerts and read travel blogs, as I imagine there are more! Can't be good for the airlines... and probably a precursor to cutting routes... but for now, it's a great deal for travelers.

Re: Airfare Bargains

I am a big advocator of airfarewatchdog.com You can sign up with them and give them your home airport, and they'll e-mail you at your preferred frequency with the lowest fares out of that area. You can even set a home airport and destination (say, Honolulu to Ohio) and they'll e-mail you when that reaches a low price. I don't work there or anything, but I've found some really great deals through them.
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Ouch. Reading of these low air fares hurts, as I paid (including all taxes) $917 for a November departure PVD-HNL round trip, which connects through EWR, last March. I don't figure this air fare would be much more than $450 EWR-PVD R/T I've read pzarquon mention, though I sort of doubt this example of the extreme low air fare would be available for the semi-premium dates I have booked.

I guess I can console myself with the facts that since I bought the ticket in March, I get two checked bags for free (CO started charging for Bag #1 after I bought the ticket) and I've got one of the best seats available on both flights going out and back...a coveted bulkhead aisle seat with extra leg room and no reclined seat in my face, in row 31 on CO's 767-400 service on the EWR-HNL route. But that's about it. Shoots, for $450 R/T, I'd sit in a center seat now.

With these low fares, I wonder if I can get CO to make a change in the date of my departure from HNL in December. I wanted to change it by one day, but at the time of my request, they wanted $100 change fee plus the difference in what I paid for the ticket and what it was selling for at the time of my request; all told they wanted $250 to change it. No way I told them. I guess it can't hurt to check.

Comment

These low airfares are not good for the airlines or for the consumer. The airlines are not making money. Enjoy the low fares now because you are going to pay for it later. Low airfares are very much like the low interest rates on homes five years ago. The airline bubble is about to burst! Fares should be about 3 times the current fares in order for the airlines to earn a reasonable 5% return on investment. What this means for the future is much higher fares, reduced flights, fewer choices, more incidental fees, and government bailouts (taxpayer funded) for the airline industry. The government needs to step in and REGULATE the airline industry as it did many years ago. One of the regulations should be establishment of minimum fares so that the airlines can make a profit. An airline that makes a reasonable profit is good for the consumer.

Disclaimer: my oldest works in management for a major international airline (one that doesn't fly to Hawai'i). Although she is not highly paid, all management is being asked to take a paycut to help keep the airline solvent for the time being.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

As I said in my initial post, these prices can't be good for the airlines, and probably mean routes will be cut in the long term if airlines continue to struggle to fill planes... but it's great for travelers right now.

Everyone knew the $19 interisland fares weren't going to be around long, too, and eventually Aloha failed, but you bet your sweet bippy more people were able to take interisland trips than ever before during that period.

Do things get worse in the long term, with fewer flights, airlines, and higher fares? Probably. Want to advocate for regulation? Go for it. But consumers don't set these unrealistic prices, and they'd be crazy not to take advantage of them.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            But consumers don't set these unrealistic prices,.
            Yes and no. Consumer demand does dictate pricing. On the other hand, the TEMPORARY lower cost of oil and the need of some airlines for immediate cash to pay bills (because of the current lack of available credit) also result in lower prices.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The airlines shoot themselves in the foot by nickel and diming passengers so much that taking a flight feels like going to jail, then they discover they need to slash prices to lure back 'leisure' passengers so that flights can be filled. I find it very difficult to commiserate with irrational, manic-depressive behavior.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                The airlines shoot themselves in the foot by nickel and diming passengers so much
                Great, then you agree with me that the airlines should triple their prices in order to make a profit?

then they discover they need to slash prices to lure back 'leisure' passengers so that flights can be filled.
                I guess you didn't read all of my post. The temporary reduction in prices on some airlines is a result of temporay lower oil prices and the need for some airlines to generate cash immediately to stay solvent.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  These low airfares are not good for the airlines or for the consumer. The airlines are not making money. Enjoy the low fares now because you are going to pay for it later. Low airfares are very much like the low interest rates on homes five years ago. The airline bubble is about to burst! Fares should be about 3 times the current fares in order for the airlines to earn a reasonable 5% return on investment. What this means for the future is much higher fares, reduced flights, fewer choices, more incidental fees, and government bailouts (taxpayer funded) for the airline industry. The government needs to step in and REGULATE the airline industry as it did many years ago. One of the regulations should be establishment of minimum fares so that the airlines can make a profit. An airline that makes a reasonable profit is good for the consumer.

Disclaimer: my oldest works in management for a major international airline (one that doesn't fly to Hawai'i). Although she is not highly paid, all management is being asked to take a paycut to help keep the airline solvent for the time being.
                  I don't believe gov't regulation of prices is the way to go. Rather, tougher laws on illegal pricing (maybe time limit on promotions) and laws on allowing parent company to subsidize subsidiary from other streams of revenue. Remember, gov't deregulation permitted airlines like Southwest to start and to grow and thrive.

Comment

Great, then you agree with me that the airlines should triple their prices in order to make a profit?

I guess you didn't read all of my post. The temporary reduction in prices on some airlines is a result of temporary lower oil prices and the need for some airlines to generate cash immediately to stay solvent.
                    No.

I read your post, I just don't believe you understand why we are seeing low ticket prices.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Remember, gov't deregulation permitted airlines like Southwest to start and to grow and thrive.
                      Not exactly. Southwest established a foothold in the marketplace because of a very astute CEO - can't remember his name and don't want to look it up. His marketing plan was brilliant; - eliminate frills and convenience (no pre-assigned seats and no sales through travel agents). But the thing that made them profitable at lower fares is that he had the foresight to purchase fuel futures on contract at predetermined prices. As fuel prices went up, and other airlines paid more for fuel, Southwest was able to continue to purchase fuel at lower prices on contract and undersell everyone. Those contracts have now expired and Southwest Airline is now faced with the same problems as all the other airlines......aging aircraft, aggressive labor unions, rising fuel costs, and limited cash liquidity.

I fear that the airlines are going to be asking for part of that $700B bailout package unless they have the courage to raise fares. But then that begs the question, should taxpayers subsidize low fares for consumers who refuse to pay a fair rate so that an airline can be profitable? I like to travel by air as much as anyone else, so the future will be interesting.

Comment

I've been sitting on some tickets for my husband, baby and I for xmas to Bakersfield or Fresno - they're sitting at $660 each and have been for the last week. Two weeks ago, they were $850. I just keep holding my reservation hoping it'll drop below $600 (non xmas flights are about $550). The flights (via United) to and from lax/sfo are very empty atm

Comment

Not exactly. Southwest established a foothold in the marketplace because of a very astute CEO - can't remember his name and don't want to look it up. His marketing plan was brilliant; - eliminate frills and convenience (no pre-assigned seats and no sales through travel agents). But the thing that made them profitable at lower fares is that he had the foresight to purchase fuel futures on contract at predetermined prices. As fuel prices went up, and other airlines paid more for fuel, Southwest was able to continue to purchase fuel at lower prices on contract and undersell everyone. Those contracts have now expired and Southwest Airline is now faced with the same problems as all the other airlines......aging aircraft, aggressive labor unions, rising fuel costs, and limited cash liquidity.

I fear that the airlines are going to be asking for part of that $700B bailout package unless they have the courage to raise fares. But then that begs the question, should taxpayers subsidize low fares for consumers who refuse to pay a fair rate so that an airline can be profitable? I like to travel by air as much as anyone else, so the future will be interesting.
                          Before deregulation, airlines required permission to serve any given route and incumbents could raise many obstacles to the granting of permission. Southwest itself had to go through that mettle. So you believe this is a good idea?

An example is the US - Australia route, heavily regulated. Ever notice there is only a handful of players in that market? Singapore Airlines offers superior service for competitive prices but they keep getting barred by Australia, no doubt for the sake of Qantas. So this is a good thing?

I'm all for laws that makes the field level but I really don't wish to see gov't dictate prices, schedules, routes. Let the market resolve that itself. You think we don't pay enough for out flights, that isn't the issue. The real issue is upper management always taking almost the entire pie and leaving little for the rest. That's why airlines are always in the red. Do you really believe it's healthy when an airline goes under and the CEO still gets a package?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            Before deregulation, airlines required permission to serve any given route and incumbents could raise many obstacles to the granting of permission. Southwest itself had to go through that mettle. So you believe this is a good idea?
                            Yes I do. If a particular route is "over serviced" the consumer benefits in the short term, but loses in the long run when no one airline can be profitable.

An example is the US - Australia route, heavily regulated. Ever notice there is only a handful of players in that market? Singapore Airlines offers superior service for competitive prices but they keep getting barred by Australia, no doubt for the sake of Qantas. So this is a good thing?
                            Unfortunately yes. I do not know what Singapore Airlines business model is. But if one airline has an advantage over another because of fewer requirements within their country of incorporation (for example no labor contract, lower cost of fuel because of local supply, etc) then regulation provides for more competition, not less.

I'm all for laws that makes the field level but I really don't wish to see gov't dictate prices, schedules, routes. Let the market resolve that itself.
                            You have just made the argument that got us into the Wall Street mess. If the market is allowed to regulate itself, it results in chaos and acts contrary to the best interests of the consumer.

You think we don't pay enough for out flights, that isn't the issue. The real issue is upper management always taking almost the entire pie and leaving little for the rest. That's why airlines are always in the red. Do you really believe it's healthy when an airline goes under and the CEO still gets a package?
                            Can you provide me with a link to that assertion? I don't know of any airline CEO that is making $25M annually like some Wall Street executives. My daughter is in mid-management and supervises about 300 to 400 employees in 10 different cities, 95% of which work on a union contract. She makes less than the top 20% of union employees that she is supervising. Something is terribly wrong when a union member forklift driver is making close to $100K per year for working about 35 hours per week. That is why most airlines are trying to eliminate the unions and contract to private vendors on the lowest cost, contract basis.

JT, you are basing your presumptions on 'a priori' convictions that simply do not hold water. I firmly believe that some regulation of the airline industry by governement is necessary. I believe that executive pay should be performance based- the better their company does, the greater their compensation. I also believe that windfall profits should be taxed heavily in all industries (the US oil compaines are now announcing monster third quarter profits) including the airlines unless put back into research and development rather than taken as excess profits.

Shrinking airlines and unrealistically low fares are not good for the consumer in the long run.
                            Last edited by helen; October 31, 2008, 01:37 PM. Reason: fixing the quote tag

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
                              I've been sitting on some tickets for my husband, baby and I for xmas to Bakersfield or Fresno - Two weeks ago, they were $850.
                              Ahhhhh, Fresno, know the place well. Love their designation: FAT.

I read a study recently (don't remember where but it wasn't on the Internet, maybe WSJ) that an airline needs to get close to $1000 per ticket in coach on the California to Hawai'i run at 80% load in order to make a 5% profit on the trip. Nobody wants to see those kinds of fares since we have been spoiled for so long, but I fear they are coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X