HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Great Shot, Mel! I can't believe she it the "little one", lol!

Here is her Big Sister, we had an AWESOME time on this boat! Not to mention the other Islands. Maui and Kauai were my top 2 pics

From Maui, on High Street

On the Big Island, Kona

flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      I've learned the hard way that ZipLocs are not water proof. It might be ok for a quick dunk, but not for any length of time. Better to get the waterproof bags in the camping section.
      You're right, and "dry bags" are also available at all kayak stores.
      But in this case, we're not talking about taking Mel on a kayak or a Hobie cat or anything where he can expect to get wet. It would be on a 30' Sea Ray Express, going out to the sandbar, where he can step right off the boat into less than 2' of water. In that case, a ZipLoc or two is just extra, but unneeded, insurance. If it was a really windy day, there might be some salt spray in the air. Other than that... dry dry dry.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Took the boat to the sandbar again yesterday. Nothing spectacular, but the slideshow of 11 photos is at this link.
        Interesting to see a huge Navy ship leaving the marine base and heading out through the bay.
        Weather was perfectly sunny in the morning, with clouds building up in the afternoon and coming off the Ko`olau mountains and out over the bay, opposite of normal tradewind patterns. A bit of Vog in the air.
        Seems like the sandbar's high spot is gaining more sand. I was there at high tide, and you can see that the high spot is bigger than past photos I've posted. As the tide started to drop, it got much bigger.
        Planning to go again tomorrow, on President's Day. Will take the kayak along this time, and plan to anchor away from the crowds and the high spot, so hopefully will have some different photos, in case anyone isn't bored and still bothers looking at them.
        Here's a couple of teasers from yesterday:

Comment

here's a couple recognizable places with a twist...

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Cool pics, looks like HDR.
            flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
              Cool pics, looks like HDR.
              Yeah it's the Tone Mapping portion of HDR with just 1 pic
              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

ahhh, see these are the things I want to learn. I have Photoshop, and Pain.net, but photoshop seems SO difficult to use/learn.
                flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

If you want free photoshop tutorials that's easy to use try going to Youtube.com and follow the series of tutorials by Photoshop Mama. Or go to her website at: photoshopmama.net

It's so easy to use. Youtube has been such a blessing for free tutorials for stuff like Access, Excel and a bunch of other Office suite and database programs such as Groupwise and others.
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 18, 2008, 06:41 PM.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Took the boat to the sandbar again yesterday. (...)
                    Planning to go again tomorrow, on President's Day. Will take the kayak along this time, and plan to anchor away from the crowds and the high spot, so hopefully will have some different photos, in case anyone isn't bored and still bothers looking at them.
                    Did it. The weather was perfect. Ended up close to the high spot anyway, since friends were nearby and waved me in.
                    Took the new (to me) kayak along, and got some interesting shots from it. Just stuck the camera in two ZipLoc bags and pulled it out when I wanted to shoot. Paddled way out toward the reef and found a Japanese fishing float drifting in. Saw a huge honu and a large manta ray.
                    Ended up taking 35 photos (including about a dozen of the boat, since it was a new angle from the kayak). The slideshow is at this link.
                    A couple of teasers?
                    My boat is the one on the right:

The orange ball is the Japanese fishing float:

Comment

Three more teasers.
                      I like the composition of this one:

Here's a sandbar traffic jam:

And here's the ride:

That's it. To see the rest, the link is in the post above. Thanks for putting up with the sandbar mania...

Comment

Interesting to see a huge Navy ship leaving the marine base and heading out through the bay.
                        Yeah, don't usually see something that big so close in. My brother says it's not Navy. Markings not correct. Not sure what it was.

Comment

the kids "fishing" at Moanalua Garden

I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

I'd love to see what a good camera could do out there. (...) In the meantime, here's photos I took there today with my cheapie camera, an old Olympus D-490 with a measly 2 megapixels.
                            And I'm pleased to say that that Olympus camera is now retired. It was replaced, just a few hours ago, with a Kodak Z712 IS, with 7.1 megapixels and a 12x (!!!) zoom. (And the "IS" stands for Image Stabilization; a desirable feature since the camera will be used from a boat quite often.) I also got a SanDisk 2GB memory card for it.
                            Anyone here on HT have opinions on this camera? I looked at the reviews at this link on Amazon.com, and was pleasantly surprised to see that of 107 reviews, 68 give the camera 5 stars, 29 gave it 4 stars, and only 10 were lower than that. I hope I made a good choice.
                            It's gonna be great fun to learn how to get the most out of it, but it seems to do pretty darned well just on the Full Auto mode. Straight out of the box and on Full Auto, I snapped these 9 test photos, shown as a slideshow at that link.
                            Here's two shots from my yard (and like the slideshow, reduced in size for easier internet viewing):

Comment

Gotta love the 12x zoom, and here's why. If you look really really closely, you might see the yellow fire hydrant dead-center in this photo:

And here it is, using the zoom and taken from exactly the same place:

Comment

Wow, tons of amazing photos!

Here's one of the big silverback at the San Diego Zoo.

Last edited by Jim75; February 27, 2008, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X