X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Well you can thank the shoplifters and other thieves for the invention of Blister Packs. Like I tell my co-workers, "there's a place for shoplifters and Hell's gonna be one crowded place"
    I totally agree on the need for them... but get frustrated trying to open them! So I guess they are doing what they're supposed to do!
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
      [...]"My bad". Argggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Moa worse den "no problem".

I love the usage of "my bad". I prefer it over "I'm sorry" or "my fault". Different strokes, I guess...

I have a love/hate relationship with the term "good job". That's used in our family a lot with my severely challenged, 8 year old nephew. Every time he accomplishes something...and all accomplishments are small but very meaningful...we say "good job". That's the love relationship. When I hear it used more frivolously I bristle because of the depth of the meaning to us. My hang-up, I know!

Comment

... I hate hot weather! It got up to 90 degrees here in Waipahu (even though the news showed only 89)

... and I'm beginning to hate computers (yes, eventually a computer tech like me will get tired of them). This afternoon, the linux side of my computer doesn't want to boot after I used a live CD of a custom install. I'm thinking that its a hard drive problem.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          yep the destruction of english syntax
          I don't even know who invented "my bad"... maybe it was in a movie or something. I just know it's worse than fingernails on a blackboard.
          William Shakespeare, Sonnet 112.

Your love and pity doth the impression fill
          Which vulgar scandal stamp'd upon my brow;
          For what care I who calls me well or ill,
          So you o'er-green my bad, my good allow?

I am not making that up; though I recognize that it is simply a coincidence. The current use of the phrase seems to have been starting up in the 1970's, and was cited in a 1986 book about pick-up street basketball. It really jumped in usage after the 1995 film, "Clueless," and has become much parodied since.

If I am mistaken, I can only say ... my bad. Though I prefer it in the original Latin - mea culpa.

Comment

I like "my bad," because I find it a creative use of the language. I don't know its origins, but like Leo, I first heard it on the basketball courts and later on volleyball courts. It's a quick way for a player to claim fault for something that went wrong. No need to dwell, no need to beat oneself up, but it's always good to say, "That was my fault!" without interrupting the flow of play.

That it has crossed over into daily informal usage is also fine with me. I've used it. I like it when others use it. It's the same as that sheepish wave drivers give to others when they KNOW they messed up.

I think there's a whole thread on blister packs somewhere around here.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Saying "my bad" is just the 'in' phrase of the moment and will probably fade away in due time, like so many others. It doesn't bother me one way or the other.
              That being said... I'm tired of the phrase "That being said."
              Overused, just like "raising the bar" was for a while and which, blessedly, seems to have faded away.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

"That being said" really annoys me. So does "each and every" (it's a redundancy). So does "think outside the box." If someone wants me to think outside the box, why is he or she relying on a cliche in order to communicate it?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Another redundant phrase - software program.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    That being said... I'm tired of the phrase "That being said."
                    Reminds me of an earlier discussion here on HT, where the use (or overuse, depending upon your perspective) of the phrase "nuff said" was a source of peeve-ness to a poster.

Scrivener, whenever you hear someone say "think outside the box," just imagine that the "box" was designed by Frank Gehry. Trust me on this - it will amuse you.

Comment

I don't even know who invented "my bad"... maybe it was in a movie or something. I just know it's worse than fingernails on a blackboard.
                      Look on the bright side. At least the person is admitting that they did wrong. Better then making excuses or blaming you.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Scrivener, whenever you hear someone say "think outside the box," just imagine that the "box" was designed by Frank Gehry. Trust me on this - it will amuse you.
                        Whenever the subject of thinking outside the box comes up I always get a picture in my head of Schrodinger's cat and I'm glad I "think outside the box" - sorry, physics joke. It's late and I've been packing all day to go back to school.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Look on the bright side. At least the person is admitting that they did wrong. Better then making excuses or blaming you.

Talk about cliches!!! The Bright Side?

The one that I hate is when people say, "close proximity". or "Irregardless".
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian
                            ... I hate hot weather! It got up to 90 degrees here in Waipahu (even though the news showed only 89)
                            Dang!, Adrian,

I think I need to be Peeved ("Pet Peeve of the Day") 75 times in this thread to be able to catch up to you.

Sheesh. lol.

Just teazing ya there. No hard feeling, ok?. =)
                            Aches & Pains
                            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                              Whenever the subject of thinking outside the box comes up I always get a picture in my head of Schrodinger's cat and I'm glad I "think outside the box" - sorry, physics joke.
                              Meow...
                              Meow..
                              Me...ACK! *plop!*

Comment

Yet another redundancy is "hot water heater." It's a "water heater" plain and simple. If the water was already hot, it wouldn't need to be heated.

(If I said this before, as I vaguely recall, please forgive the repetition.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X